Sign in to follow this  
JBEVIL

GSP vs SHIELDS - Serious question !

This is for all the Shields fans or the ones who are pulling for him against GSP.

In what way do you think Shields has a chance? seriously..

The only chance ive been hearing is his BJJ like hes from another planet and that GSP has never even faced close to his caliber before..

Well if hes so great at BJJ why does he have the hardest time getting his submissions? he has 11 submissions out of 26 wins.. 13 decisions and 3 knockouts lol..

people talk about this guy like hes a submission machine but the guy couldnt even beat Kampmann, hes slower then a turtle when striking and takedown attempts.. his wrestling is poor, he has amazing pillow fists.. i mean the guys a joke

I dont usually make fun of hype trains but this one in particular is pretty damn sad, Shields is going to be completely outclassed in every aspect of this fight and as for BJJ goes.. remember GSP has been training with John Danaher for years ! people need to stop questioning GSP's abilities cuz it is getting sickening.

Shields is a very dangerous opponent, he has a huge chance at beating GSP, his wrestling is great, however i think his BJJ is overated, he's never subbed anyone who is decent at BJJ in MMA, but he's on a 15 fight win streak and it will be great fight hopefully

i think this prove that you should never count anybody out not matter who there fighting

Matt_Serra_1000518.jpg

thats not my point im trying to get across.. statistically.. this match up is hell for Shields. and the picture you posted is irrelevant because Shields couldnt knockout a 10 year old boy.. GSP has all around superior skills besides Shields BJJ, but what people tend to forget is that GSP trains everything and gets better incredibly fast.. John Danaher is no joke and GSP will be able to take whatever Shields has planned for him.

the point in the pic is that people are saying Sheilds has little or no chance of winning just like they said with the Serra fight, so i was just pionting out that anything can happen, also Sheilds has better stand up than Serra so it could happen don't think it will but it could.

the point in the pic is that people are saying Sheilds has little or no chance of winning just like they said with the Serra fight' date=' so i was just pointing out that anything can happen, also Sheilds has better stand up than Serra so it could happen don't think it will but it could.[/quote']

yes there is always "a punchers chance" or he "could" get the submission.. but you can say that about any fighter in any fight, the point im trying to get across is how superior GSP is to Shields and that people on this site (including the ufc) are over hyping Shields big time, this is going to be like Maia & Silva.. only GSP is all about taking care of business and wont dance around for 5 rounds, Shields is going to look like a joke.

yes there is always "a punchers chance" or he "could" get the submission.. but you can say that about any fighter in any fight' date=' the point im trying to get across is how superior GSP is to Shields and that people on this site (including the ufc) are over hyping Shields big time, this is going to be like Maia & Silva.. only GSP is all about taking care of business and wont dance around for 5 rounds, [b']Shields is going to look like a joke[/b].

Don't underestimate Shields though, he gets written off in nearly every fight and he still pulls off wins, they said this in the Henderson fight and he dominated 4/5 rounds.

yes there is always "a punchers chance" or he "could" get the submission.. but you can say that about any fighter in any fight' date=' the point im trying to get across is how superior GSP is to Shields and that people on this site [b'](including the ufc) are over hyping Shields big time[/b], this is going to be like Maia & Silva.. only GSP is all about taking care of business and wont dance around for 5 rounds, Shields is going to look like a joke.

thats for marketing reasons they can sell the fight easier if people think Sheilds has a chance of winning the belt.

and as for other posters saying it, that's to #### off all the GSP fanboys

Don't underestimate Shields though' date=' he gets written off in nearly every fight and he still pulls off wins, they said this in the Henderson fight and he dominated 4/5 rounds.[/quote']

im not underestimating Shields im just judging by his previous fights, the guy doesnt impress me at all, he hasnt done anything spectacular in his fights, his game plan is simple and the same everyfight, "take the opponent down & submit him" and he rarely succeeds the submission.. You take GSP's skills and you match them to Shields and its a no brainer who SHOULD win this fight, theres the punchers chance and the submission chance but like i said you can say that for anyone.. but all in all, GSP is on another level and i see him crushing shields like an empty soda can.

well he knows how to survive we saw in the henderson fight, i dont think gsp has the power to knock shields out, but it is MMA who knows he might catch GSP its unlikely but would not be the first time something like thats happened.

i dont believe shiels will be able to keep gsp down or is so much better than him that he can sub him, i hope it goes to the ground majority of fight will be a great battle of technique.

but ifi m being honest i see this being a more competitive version of the koscheck vs gsp 2 fight with shields fairing a bit better and doing more in terms of trying to get takedowns constantly.

i do think people seriously underate GSP's standup, he was a elite striker long ago and he decided to start fighting smarter and lower the risk of him losing which i personally really find exciting that he can dominate fighters on the UFC level the way he does. he trains with elite boxers/kickboxers and in my opinion can stand and trade with anyone at the WW division and more then likely win.

Well Its pretty safe to say that neither of them have the power to KO each other, and IF one of them is to get submitted, it would probably be GSP. Shields does have great BJJ and has never been subd, but GSP also has good BJJ. I see this fight going the distance.

Shields is a threat if he can get the TD, and he has a better chance of doing that than Kos or Fitch. And when he gets the TD hes probably the most controlling fighter from the top position. Dont base his abilities off of 1 fight(against Kampman). GSP probably will/should win this fight, but if Shields brings his A game then he is a very tough fight for GSP.

i think this prove that you should never count anybody out not matter who there fighting

Matt_Serra_1000518.jpg

That's really a bad point, considering the beating that Serra took in the fight that took place afterwards, and we was BRUTALIZED in that fight, and tapped due to strikes. Every fighter has personal problems, and for someone to say that GSP hasn't faced struggles it would be bs. Besides Anderson Silva, he's got one of the longest running streaks in MMA/UFC.

Shields is a joke of a matchup for GSP. I think Kampmann beat him, and for that matter, he should've atleast gotten a draw with Diego, possibly even better, but then no judges like Kampmann.

In my eyes, these are Shields attributes:

1. Tenacious - he keeps the same pace, from the beginning to the end. He never slowed down against Henderson or Miller. His fight with Kampmann shouldn't be looked at, because his cut back to 170 clearly affected him.

2. Good wrestler - this guy took Okami down at will, and Okami is notorious for stuffing takedowns.

3. Decent BJJ - this guy is not a submission machine against the elite. I mean, sure he beats the guys on bully beatdown, but those guys would get murdered in seconds by GSP. Shields is good at getting into the top position, and mounting his opponents. He really doesn't do much but ground and pound from this position though. I think his peer, Nick Diaz, is better then him in this area, not to mention overall (Though I don't think Nick would even come close to challenging GSP, as he was already beat by him severely when they fought).

4. One heckuva chin - There's no way GSP is gonna knock him out. This guy survived a full on clean punch to the face by Henderson. It would've knocked out almost ANYONE. Shields got knocked down, and immediately recovered. He would go on to get his legs back and beat the tar out of Henderson.

5. Pillow fists - I think almost any member on here hits harder then this guy. I don't know why he looks so awkward when he strikes, but he clearly is off balance, and looks like he doesn't like to do much bag work.

6. Lacks killer instinct - I also think GSP lacks this, but he obviously manages. Some guys will pull the trigger, whenever they see their prey as being wounded. Wanna see someone that doesn't hesitate to put someone in the hospital, and will go out to end the fight, watch Patricky Freire.

6. Lack Of Octagon use - Shields just basically shoots in with reckless abandon. He relies on his granite chin to save him from knees, and then just drives through with takedowns. He never uses good footwork in his standup. He always throws a left jab, and then just shoots. It's the same old move, but it works for him. Luckily for Shields his fast with his shoots, and he can take you down with a botched leg kick.

I give Shields a 10% chance of winning. Honestly I think Josh Koscheck would murder Shields.

after watching a few fights from both i have changed my opinions on how this fight will play out.

IMO i think its all about scoring points as they will stalemate eachother in most aspects of the game, i think shields wont want to stand at distance when hes not going for takedowns he will be in the clinch so i think this fight comes to who scores points and..

IMO noone in MMA is better at knowing how to score points then GSP in the judges eyes. so i think gsp takes it by UD.

the point in the pic is that people are saying Sheilds has little or no chance of winning just like they said with the Serra fight' date=' so i was just pionting out that anything can happen, also Sheilds has better stand up than Serra so it could happen don't think it will but it could.[/quote']

Whaaaat!? Shields DOES NOT have stand up any where close to as good as Matt Serra's

This is for all the Shields fans or the ones who are pulling for him against GSP.

The only chance ive been hearing is his BJJ like hes from another planet and that GSP has never even faced close to his caliber before..

Well if hes so great at BJJ why does he have the hardest time getting his submissions? he has 11 submissions out of 26 wins.. 13 decisions and 3 knockouts lol..

people talk about this guy like hes a submission machine but the guy couldnt even beat Kampmann' date=' hes slower then a turtle when striking and takedown attempts.. his wrestling is poor, he has amazing pillow fists.. i mean the guys a joke

I dont usually make fun of hype trains but this one in particular is pretty damn sad, Shields is going to be completely outclassed in every aspect of this fight and as for BJJ goes.. remember GSP has been training with John Danaher for years ! people need to stop questioning GSP's abilities cuz it is getting sickening.[/quote']

After reading this I get to assume two things about you: you are a GSP nutthugger and the only Shields fight you have watched was the kampaman fight. The guy is undefeated for 6 years and on a 15 fight win streak fighting top competition such as Condit, Okami, Daley or Henderson to name a few. You saw a fight where he wasn't impressive (at all, I'll give you that) and you call him a joke...

People are seeing this as a tough fight for GSP because he has never fought a Jiu Jitsu expert such as Shiels. He has fought top strikers top wrestlers but never top submission guys. And if you were not able to realize that you are the joke here.

Whaaaat!? Shields DOES NOT have stand up any where close to as good as Matt Serra's

Shields stand up is very underated, cos he's such a great wrestler with top notch Jitz people tend to forget his stand up or say it crap just cos he doesn't have KO power

Shields is a lot more dangerous on the ground then the OP is giving him credit. In the last three fights against Kampmann, Hendo, Miller (not slouches) he has had 10,16,15 passes repectively he keeps busy and trying to improve position something GSP never saw recently. Again this is saying shields gets him down and is on top or reverses to get there i would think he can do this at times. He tried 7 submission attempts against Hendo in that fight. I think people are underestimating Shields too much. I honestly see GSP winning in UD but i see GSP getting rounds 1,3,5 (10-9) Shields winning 2,4 (10-9)

http://hosteddb.fightmetric.com/fighters/details/1202 <<<<< Jake Shileds Fight Metric last 13 fights for reference

After reading this I get to assume two things about you: you are a GSP nutthugger and the only Shields fight you have watched was the kampaman fight. The guy is undefeated for 6 years and on a 15 fight win streak fighting top competition such as Condit' date=' Okami, Daley or Henderson to name a few[/b']. You saw a fight where he wasn't impressive (at all, I'll give you that) and you call him a joke...

People are seeing this as a tough fight for GSP because he has never fought a Jiu Jitsu expert such as Shiels. He has fought top strikers top wrestlers but never top submission guys. And if you were not able to realize that you are the joke here.

First of all, im a fan of GSP, the term nutthugger goes for any fan of any fighter cuz obviously fans are going to support the fighter they like moron so dont count yourself out on nutthugging buddy.

Second, in the bold above, does not impress me at all.. Shields survives fights and won with more decisions then subs or ko's, he has a hard time submitting his opponents so his BJJ is greatly over rated.. hes a very slow striker with fists made of marshmellows, he has average takedowns and will never take GSP down once because GSP's sprawl is nothing to f*ck with..

last but not least, Condit is a good fighter but nothing compared to GSP, the reason why his name is brought up so much is because he knocked out Hardy, whoop-de-do ! Daley is a joke i cant even believe that you think that win is impressive? Okami is over rated, Henderson was his most impressive win, in fact its his only impressive win. Alves, Koscheck, Fitch, and Penn would all have there way with Shields..

NEXT !

Well Its pretty safe to say that neither of them have the power to KO each other' date=' and IF one of them is to get submitted, it would probably be GSP. Shields does have great BJJ and has never been subd, but GSP also has good BJJ. I see this fight going the distance.

Shields is a threat if he can get the TD, and he has a better chance of doing that than Kos or Fitch. And when he gets the TD hes probably the most controlling fighter from the top position. Dont base his abilities off of 1 fight(against Kampman). GSP probably will/should win this fight, but if Shields brings his A game then he is a very tough fight for GSP.[/quote']

86% TDD or something ridiculous and against the best wrestlers at WW. I see Shields having a lot of trouble getting this fight to the ground and if it goes past Rd 2, GSP picks up the pace (like he always does) and Shields is in a world of trouble.

Yes Shields is a good fighter, yes hes on a 15 fight win streak which spans six years and yes he has beaten tough opponents like Dan Henderson, Okami, Mayhem but GSP is a different fight than all of those guys. He is a complete mixed martial artist, hes great at every aspect of the game, unlike shields whose one man area his bjj. Hes also a perfectionist and one of the hardest working fighters in the game, he is improving on a daily bases, when he makes a mistake he immediately goes on works on what went wrong. He also travels all over the world to train with the very best athletes and practitioners to become the best. Shields is great but GSP is taking this fight hands down.

Talking so much **** about Shields... GSP can't knock anyone out, he couldn't even finish his last 5 fights, not to mention a one-armed Hardy for 4 rounds and a one-eyed Koscheck for like what? 5 rounds? Shields has better BJJ skills and submissions than most if not all people in the sport. The point you are trying to get across is dumb and shouldn't waste your time ******** in peoples minds. If my BJJ was as good as Shields, I wouln't get 90% of my wins by submission, Jake Shields is a true MMA fighter and proves that he can KO, submit, and has the skills to go the distance. James Toney best boxer, his boxing skills suck, couldn't knockout anyone in MMA... pshhh... you're so dumb.

How about you just take a step back, remove your lips from GSP's sack, and watch the "Primetime" episode to hear exactly how GSP feels about Shields' chances.

He has more respect for the skills of Shields than any opponent he has faced since Matt Hughes or BJ Penn and he lets everyone know in his interviews.

He never conceded that Hardy, Kos, Fitch, or anyone but Hughes or BJ had any shot at beating him, but he is taking the threat from Shields very seriously, as he should.

I got Shields winning by sub in the 3rd rd.

people talk about this guy like hes a submission machine but the guy couldnt even beat Kampmann' date=' hes slower then a turtle when striking and takedown attempts.. his wrestling is poor, he has amazing pillow fists.. i mean the guys a joke

I dont usually make fun of hype trains but this one in particular is pretty damn sad, Shields is going to be completely outclassed in every aspect of this fight and as for BJJ goes.. remember GSP has been training with John Danaher for years ! people need to stop questioning GSP's abilities cuz it is getting sickening.[/quote']

GSP has +++ cardio, strength, explosiveness and speed. I don't think Shields has a chance. The UFC primetimes can hype him, yes he's a hard worker as well, but I give Shields NO SHOT.

Talking so much **** about Shields... GSP can't knock anyone out' date=' he couldn't even finish his last 5 fights, not to mention a one-armed Hardy for 4 rounds and a one-eyed Koscheck for like what? 5 rounds? [b']Shields has better BJJ skills and submissions than most if not all people in the sport.[/b] The point you are trying to get across is dumb and shouldn't waste your time ******** in peoples minds. If my BJJ was as good as Shields, I wouln't get 90% of my wins by submission, Jake Shields is a true MMA fighter and proves that he can KO, submit, and has the skills to go the distance. James Toney best boxer, his boxing skills suck, couldn't knockout anyone in MMA... pshhh... you're so dumb.

No. CARLOS EDURDO ROCHA will be back and makes some noise in WW. Last time he was fighting removed from a dislocated shoulder and an unhealed fractured fingers to throw punches - that's why he was just throwing kicks the whole fight and tooling Ellenberger on ground, fighting on short notice against Ellenberger --- he told me personally on twitter.

He had surgery after the fight and he will be back next fall/winter.

How about you just take a step back' date=' remove your lips from GSP's sack, and watch the "Primetime" episode to hear exactly how GSP feels about Shields' chances.

He has more respect for the skills of Shields than any opponent he has faced since Matt Hughes or BJ Penn and he lets everyone know in his interviews.

He never conceded that Hardy, Kos, Fitch, or anyone but Hughes or BJ had any shot at beating him, but he is taking the threat from Shields very seriously, as he should.

I got Shields winning by sub in the 3rd rd.[/quote']

why dont you shut the f*ck up? whos your favourite fighter ? is that what you do to him "put your lips on his sack"? get a grip you f**kin loser.

Shields is one dimensional, slow, and hits softer than a 80 year old man. Get some education moron because you dont know what your talking about.. you do know primetime is made to hype the fight right? they are going to over exaggerate, and milk the skills of Shields to seem like its going to be a battle.. but anyone who is a real fan of MMA and know what their talking about (unlike yourself) would know that GSP is going to absolutely destroy Shields with ease.

stylistically this is a terrible match up for Shields and his game plan is clear and the same everyfight, the man is nothing special and beat nothing but cans since 2006 besides Henderson ( his only impressive win)..

Yes GSP should take the fight seriously, as should any fighter fighting any opponent because you should never look past anyone.. regardless of all that, GSP is going to absolutely destroy the guy.. get over it, its the truth, you know it, i know it, everyone knows it ! your just praying to god for a miracle.. but let me tell you something, there is no god ;)

GTFO please.. NEXT

GSP has +++ cardio' date=' strength, explosiveness and speed. I don't think Shields has a chance. The UFC primetimes can hype him, yes he's a hard worker as well, but I give [b']Shields NO SHOT[/b].

I agree with everything BUT the bolded

Everyone has a chance.

I predict this fight to go...

Shields (15%) < GSP (85%)

why dont you shut the f*ck up? whos your favourite fighter ? is that what you do to him "put your lips on his sack"? get a grip you f**kin loser.

Shields is one dimensional' date=' slow, and hits softer than a 80 year old man. Get some education moron because you dont know what your talking about.. you do know primetime is made to hype the fight right? they are going to over exaggerate, and milk the skills of Shields to seem like its going to be a battle.. but anyone who is a real fan of MMA and know what their talking about (unlike yourself) would know that GSP is going to absolutely destroy Shields with ease.

stylistically this is a terrible match up for Shields and his game plan is clear and the same everyfight, the man is nothing special and beat nothing but cans since 2006 besides Henderson ( his only impressive win)..

Yes GSP should take the fight seriously, as should any fighter fighting any opponent because you should never look past anyone.. regardless of all that, GSP is going to absolutely destroy the guy.. get over it, its the truth, you know it, i know it, everyone knows it ! your just praying to god for a miracle.. but let me tell you something, there is no god ;)

GTFO please.. NEXT[/quote']

^^^^ internet muscles right here ^^^^^

Dude. We all know Shields has a very bad chance at winning this fight. But he does have a chance. GSP can lose. And YES. I am a huge GSP fan. I predict GSP to win this fight 100%. But Shields does have a chance. a tiny one.

Shields isn't as well rounded as GSP, nor is he as good at wrestling, but his BJJ is arguably significantly better. I'm giving him a chance(admittedly a very small one) because he's shown before that he can overcome the odds; no one thought he stood a chance against Hendo, but despite going down hard in the first he came back and destroyed him.

Basically, Jake Shields has an incredible ground game and heart for miles. I don't think it'll be enough, but you can't just rule out the possibility that he could get a submission win, or even surprise everyone and just straight-up out-grapple GSP. Just remember instances like Matt Serra, or if you want to chalk that up to being a fluke, remember Frankie Edgar.

Shields is one dimensional' date=' slow, and hits softer than a 80 year old man. Get some education moron because you dont know what your talking about.. you do know primetime is made to hype the fight right? they are going to over exaggerate, and milk the skills of Shields to seem like its going to be a battle.. but anyone who is a real fan of MMA and know what their talking about (unlike yourself) would know that GSP is going to absolutely destroy Shields with ease.

GTFO please.. NEXT[/quote']

think this man speaks the truth about shields man... I keep looking at his stuff and nothing about him impresses me... let alone his list of past opponents. He's defeated tons of cans or one dimensionnal strikers. And everyone knows that with equal skills, the grappler beats the striker. That's a proof Gracie delivered a long time ago and that keeps being proven. and that was reiterated lately with Couture running through Toney, with Fitch beating Alves, Koscheck beating Daley. So I really give no props to Shields for defeating all these cans. As for Hendo? let me suspect Hendo took this fight lightly and mention that he's 38 years old, and in no way as wise as GSP when it comes to implementing game planing.j He also looked likehe had terrible cardio in this fight, which wont be GSP's case.

How is Hendo's BJJ? huh.. yeah that's right.. it sucks... and once he's on his back he is nothing impressive. Gotta give Shields what,s his : he's very good at falling on the ground and turtling up. like 99% of his strategy is to eat a shot and fall to the ground, faking being hurt, then just catching his opponent's ankle to try to make him fall to the ground stupidly. If that doesn't work, he's helpless. Look how helpless he looked against Kampmann. Lucky Shields that Kampmann was dumb enough to follow on the ground instead of just letting him get back up again and again like Anderson does against these BJJ guys who suck too much to get the takedown and instead wait for their opponents to somehow be stupid enough to jump in their guard.

Douchy Shields is getting shredded in 2 weeks.

First of all I don't pull for anyone. I don't cheer or hope or really care one way or the other.

I think Shields has a very good chance to grind GSP into the mat.

I don't happen to think GSP has a whole lot of heart. Talent? Absolutely. The guy is incredibly talented and hard working. But on the toughness side of the the coin I think he's suspect. The first Penn fight was the most guts I have seen out of him. I have not really seen him tested like that much and I think Shields is going to peg his toughness meter.

Anyone who does not give Shields a chance in this fight is not really looking at the fight objectively.

To put it in the simplest possible terms, if Shields can stay on top of Dan Henderson for 5 rounds he fr dam sure can stay on top of GSP.