Why is Randy even considered a chance?

Jbrahams

First of all I am not hating on Couture, I respect the guy but I just don't see how he is considered a chance.

He's 3 fight winning streak:

James Toney -

That shouldn't even be considered a win, I mean c'mon

Mark Coleman -

He was just as old as Randy but way worse, he beat Bonnar at UFC 100 but last relevant win before was over Shogun in PRIDE, definitely not a win you would brag about

Brandon Vera -

Another guy who was basically cut by the UFC if it wasn't for Thiago Silva being a cheater. The guy hasn't been impressive in his last few fights against Jones and Silva and is another fighter no where near Machida's level.

So Randy's hype going into this fight is surrounded by a 3 fight win streak against 3 guys who have been cut by the UFC (exception with Vera, SIlva cheating etc.)

When was the last time he beat someone credible at LHW?

Belfort back in 2004?

Even at Heavyweight he lost to Big Nog and Lesnar, he beat Sylvia but since then Sylvia has been far from impressive same with Gonzaga.

So how does he stand a chance against an arguably Top 5 LHW in Machida?

I know what he is doing at his age is absolutely amazing and no one in the world could probably do the same, Randy is an amazing fighter, but against Machida, I don't see how he can stand a chance against a guy who has been fighting top guys like Silva, Evans, Shogun, Rampage etc.

Simple answer; it's RANDY COUTURE.......

But he has the style too. He ain't gonna trade blows with machida. He will look to get inside, use the clinch and get fight to the ground. I thunk his experience with bigger guys will help him keep machida their if he succeeds with takedowns.

His heart, determination and the fans onside will make sure randy goes out, having left everythin In the cage as always.

Good luck Randy and thanks for everything.

Simple answer; it's RANDY COUTURE.......

But he has the style too. He ain't gonna trade blows with machida. He will look to get inside' date=' use the clinch and get fight to the ground. I thunk his experience with bigger guys will help him keep machida their if he succeeds with takedowns.

His heart, determination and the fans onside will make sure randy goes out, having left everythin In the cage as always.

Good luck Randy and thanks for everything.[/quote']

^^^ He means to say that Randy will try to hug Machida for 15 minutes against the cage and pray he doesn't get knocked out trying to clinch up. I think the old man is too slow but you never know. The cage and mastery of "the hug" are in his favor.

He's not getting inside. People say Randy has the perfect style for Machida.. Machiada has the perfect style to embarass Randy.

I agree I have late first round Tko stoppage for Machida. I see him landing a straight left and finishing with ground and pound. The only way Couture can win is if he is able to avoid fighting Machida and try to bore us to a decision. People should remember Vera dropped him and nearly knocked his old *** out and Randy had a very hard time taking Vera down. Randy was just holding on the entire fight he didn't really do **** except get knocked on his *** and still win by way of "the hug"

^^^ He means to say that Randy will try to hug Machida for 15 minutes against the cage and pray he doesn't get knocked out trying to clinch up. I think the old man is too slow but you never know. The cage and mastery of "the hug" are in his favor.

Grappling is part of mma. And unfortunatly mma going mainstream has attracted 'fans' who have no knowledge or liking of grappling. But tough. Randy will try to get inside and close the distance and do what I said earlier.

What should happen is machida use his speed, footwork, accurancy and youth to stop randy in 1 or 2 rounds. But it's a fight so well see

Randy has this fight i believe as recognition from the UFC of his many years in the sport. He wanted a top contender for his last fight so he can go out on a high. Think about it, if he loses, than his legacy cannot be tarnished in a bad way, as a loss to Machida is an embarrasment to nobody. If he wins (which he could might i add) than he goes out having defeated a top ten contender and his legacy ends on a massive high and people will continue to talk about it for years.

All the signs are out there for this, from Randy's comments to Dana's.

This fight is a great one for Randy, for Machida and for fight fans everywhere.

For Machida, this is an opportunity to get back his confidence with a win against a legend that will allow him to face the best in LHW division again. To put him against another top 5 lhw off the two losses he had, with his confidence at such a low point, would have been the end of him in the UFC.

From UFC's point of view, Machida winning and getting his confidence back would be a great boost to the LHW division and allow for a big fight for Machida against a top contender at UFC Rio. If Randy wins, the UFC will get great coverage that this legend at the age of 47 can still compete with the best out there. A great end to a legends career that will be talked about for years.

This is a great fight, i like both guys, and cant wait to see what they both bring to the table in terms of gameplans. I predict Machida wil try and keep Randy at distance with side stepped strikes and kicks, with Randy trying to charge in for dirty boxing. Makes for an interesting fight IMO

Grappling is part of mma. And unfortunatly mma going mainstream has attracted 'fans' who have no knowledge or liking of grappling. But tough. Randy will try to get inside and close the distance and do what I said earlier.

What should happen is machida use his speed' date=' footwork, accurancy and youth to stop randy in 1 or 2 rounds. But it's a fight so well see[/quote']

I have been a fan for a very long time and I understand grappling. However there's a difference between grappling and clinching someone up against a cage doing very little damage.

What I find so funny is that fools underestimate Machida's offensive and defensive wrestling. He will outwork Randy everywhere including grappling and the clinch. As long as he can keep his back off the cage he will win and win easily. Randy's only chance is an extremely boring wall and stall decision. He can't finish Machida but Machida can knock him the **** out.

randy has the perfects style for machida. i think this fight is closer than a lot of people are thinking it is' date='

war wandy.[/quote']

Do you mean close by Randy might get dropped and nearly finished but still manage a decision win via wall and stall?

..... sounds like something Randy went through with an inferior fighter in Vera before the UFC brass said "HOLD ON"

They realized Vera was too much of a step up in competition so they gave him Mark Coleman. Okay Mark Coleman has to be the first fighter the history of the promotion to be CUT after fighting in a MAIN EVENT. What kind of ******** is that they could have atleast kept him around to outwrestle Tito and end that clowns career.

Defeating Coleman got him the grand master of boxing. The greatest natural middleweight to ever let himself fight between the weights of 161 and 240 to ever live. James mother****ing Toney the MMA master. How Randy was able to take Toney down still blows my mind... I mean seriously James Toney lost to some bum MMA fighter?! I call fluke if they fought again Toney would knock Couture out with his toe as Randy dives at one of his ankles.

Discrediting his opponents doesn't discredit Randy.

The thing is about Randy, he is still winning against younger, faster, stronger athletes. He's NOT LOSING. That's pretty big for a guy who just doesn't seem to go away or have any quit against him.

People were saying the same thing about Couture before the Sylvia fight too I bet. And yes, this may be Lyoto and not Tim, but Randy could still pull this out.

PS, he isn't considered a chance, he is considered a human being...WITH a chance to beat someone

I see Machida as a fairly heavy favorite, but not discounting Couture is NO joke. Everyone dismisses the win over Toney, but the guy's striking makes anyone in LHW look like child's play. Couture was smart enough to take it completely out of the picture with a move no one had used in MMA. Now we look back and dismiss it. Vera is a great Greco-wrestler who was using it soley as a defense ... tell me that isn't great training for trying to get past strikes and get someone elusive to the ground. Anything can happen here.

Archived