Has Nick Diaz Become Supremely Better...

ProfessorX

Since his 3 fight losing streak in the UFC? Wow he beat some Strikeforce guys and Paul Daley. Hype train...

Instead of talking GSP, who would win in a Diego Sanchez/ Nick Diaz rematch ? You could argue both have improved quite a bit since Diego Sanchez V Nick Diaz I.

Since his 3 fight losing streak in the UFC? Wow he beat some Strikeforce guys and Paul Daley. Hype train...

Instead of talking GSP' date=' who would win in a rematch Diego Sanchez or Nick Diaz? You could argue both have improved quite a bit since Diego Sanchez V Nick Diaz I.[/quote']

I think Diaz is a horrific match-up for GSP in the sense that Diaz's jabs and straights are pretty freakin good and his jj is best from his guard.

The argument for Nick Diaz against GSP is simply this:

1. Nick Diaz has a great ground game, so GSP will probably be too afraid to take him down.

2. Nick Diaz has a decent striking game, therefore giving him a punchers chance against GSP.

The formula to beat GSP, as proved tonight, is simply to have good/great JJ and good striking. I would say that BJ Penn is the perfect person to take out GSP, but the simple fact that GSP is WAY bigger than BJ pretty much throws that right out the window.

But hey, without the help of Vaseline, GSP is in MUCH more danger if they ever fight again.

Instead of talking GSP' date=' who would win in a Diego Sanchez/ Nick Diaz rematch ? You could argue both have improved quite a bit since Diego Sanchez V Nick Diaz I.[/quote']

I think Nick Diaz would destroy Sanchez

I like how everyone talks about GSP even though you told them not too :P

Instead of talking GSP' date=' who would win in a Diego Sanchez/ Nick Diaz rematch ? You could argue both have improved quite a bit since Diego Sanchez V Nick Diaz I.[/quote']

Nope he may have gotten better but he would still get served by all the top fighters in the UFC.

The argument for Nick Diaz against GSP is simply this:

1. Nick Diaz has a great ground game' date=' so GSP will probably be too afraid to take him down.

2. Nick Diaz has a decent striking game, therefore giving him a punchers chance against GSP.

The formula to beat GSP, as proved tonight, is simply to have good/great JJ and good striking. I would say that BJ Penn is the perfect person to take out GSP, but the simple fact that GSP is WAY bigger than BJ pretty much throws that right out the window.

But hey, without the help of Vaseline, GSP is in MUCH more danger if they ever fight again.[/quote']

Well actually Diaz's striking matches up alot better to GSPs then you think. He is very good at playing the distance game and they(he and his brother) throw some sharp jabs and straights, and if GSPs tender face tears like that for shields Diaz should have no problem mangling him.

On the Apr 11th MMA Junkie anniversary show they talked a little with Frank Trigg who was one of the original hosts of the show. They were talking about 129 and Frank wasn't too high on Shields but definitely thought Diaz was better than Shields and would be a nightmare matchup for GSP. I 100% AGREE. That's not to say GSP wouldn't win because Diaz has never been one to be able to stop takedowns, but he's crazy ridiculous off his back and his stand up is leaps and bounds greater than Shields.

http://tunein.com/radio/MMA-Junkie-Radio-Podcast-p271190/

Well actually Diaz's striking matches up alot better to GSPs then you think. He is very good at playing the distance game and they(he and his brother) throw some sharp jabs and straights' date=' and if GSPs tender face tears like that for shields Diaz should have no problem mangling him.[/quote']

I know this, I was just trying to sound a little more objective than you, seeing as anyone who picks against GSP in a fight that's not against Anderson Silva (or someone of equal stature) is fairly moronic.

I know this' date=' I was just trying to sound a little more objective than you, seeing as anyone who picks against GSP in a fight that's not against Anderson Silva (or someone of equal stature) is fairly moronic.[/quote']

Well i think its obvious that to beat GSP you have to have a very very perticular skill set, which after tonight appears to be Diaz(at WW anyway)

Well i think its obvious that to beat GSP you have to have a very very perticular skill set' date=' which after tonight appears to be Diaz(at WW anyway)[/quote']

Actually, it's much easier than that.

All you have to do is have one skill that invokes fear in GSP (such as Hardy and Alves's striking, and Shields' JJ). Then, you just have to be good enough with the opposite skill to beat him, and you have to go into the fight without fear.

IMO, this points directly at BJ Penn and Thiago Alves. BJ Penn has some of the best boxing in MMA, so GSP will probably look to take the fight to the ground. However, BJ Penn also has some of the best BJJ in MMA, so GSP isn't safe on the ground either. So against BJ, GSP would have to decide which skill he's more afraid of, boxing or BJJ. Without vaseline, BJ has a great chance of submitting GSP, and I'm sure he knows this, so he would probably employ his jab 'n run technique. BJ has a great chance to get a TKO on the feet.

Now, against Alves, GSP would DEFINITELY be afraid of the striking, so he would look to take Alves down (again). If Alves worked on his TDD some more, he could most likely fend off some of GSP's takedowns. If he came into the fight without the fear he had at UFC 100, he would have a great chance at catching GSP (most likely with a knee) and getting a TKO as well.

I'm not saying that GSP would be the underdog in either fight, and I'm not saying that I would pick either Alves or BJ in either fight, but they would still give GSP problems and have a great chance of pulling off the upset.

Actually' date=' it's much easier than that.

All you have to do is have one skill that invokes fear in GSP (such as Hardy and Alves's striking, and Shields' JJ). Then, you just have to be good enough with the opposite skill to beat him, and you have to go into the fight without fear.

IMO, this points directly at BJ Penn and Thiago Alves. BJ Penn has some of the best boxing in MMA, so GSP will probably look to take the fight to the ground. However, BJ Penn also has some of the best BJJ in MMA, so GSP isn't safe on the ground either. So against BJ, GSP would have to decide which skill he's more afraid of, boxing or BJJ. Without vaseline, BJ has a great chance of submitting GSP, and I'm sure he knows this, so he would probably employ his jab 'n run technique. BJ has a great chance to get a TKO on the feet.

Now, against Alves, GSP would DEFINITELY be afraid of the striking, so he would look to take Alves down (again). If Alves worked on his TDD some more, he could most likely fend off some of GSP's takedowns. If he came into the fight without the fear he had at UFC 100, he would have a great chance at catching GSP (most likely with a knee) and getting a TKO as well.

I'm not saying that GSP would be the underdog in either fight, and I'm not saying that I would pick either Alves or BJ in either fight, but they would still give GSP problems and have a great chance of pulling off the upset.[/quote']

I honestly believe Penn would seriously threaten GSP if he was to get another shot. The first fight was a split decision, and the second was an absolute scam. Alves on the other hand is just too bad at grappling to ever improve enough to enforce his strengths

Instead of talking GSP' date=' [b']who would win in a Diego Sanchez/ Nick Diaz rematch[/b] ? You could argue both have improved quite a bit since Diego Sanchez V Nick Diaz I.

Nick would destroy him, quit playin lol

I honestly believe Penn would seriously threaten GSP if he was to get another shot. The first fight was a split decision' date=' and the second was an absolute scam. Alves on the other hand is just too bad at grappling to ever improve enough to enforce his strengths[/quote']

I agree 100% with your comment about Penn, but do you really think Alves is that bad of a grappler? Granted his BJJ is average at best, but he has some pretty impressive TDD and if he could just improve on that, with his much improved cardio and (hopefully) a lack of fear, I think he would have a real shot in a rematch.

... would St Pierre really want to engage Diaz on the mat or toe to toe ?

another snooze-fest imo

How would it be a snoozefest? He's a well-rounded opponent who would be a threat to GSP in the stand-up AND on the ground. GSP has never faced anyone well rounded besides BJ Penn, and I'd love to see them fight again without vaseline being involved.

GSP looked concerned by Sheilds jitz' date=' so should show Nicks probably more respect... and Diaz's hands are faster, more precise and have much more powerful than Jakes...

GSP would be in deep excrement if he turns up anything similar to what he did today to fight Nick.[/quote']

Agreed 100%

Nick would destroy him' date=' quit playin lol[/quote']

Jokers, I bet Dan Henderson could come right back in because he's the well-rounded, knock out artist and knockout everybody at LHW too (including Jones).

Here's reality about Nick Diaz:

Cardio: Outstanding

Stand-up: No defensive movement, good chin/cardio to brawl with his fists, nice jab for brawling, mo real footwork, no kicks, not technical. Slightly better than his bro Nate, but not by a lot.

Submission game: Good, but incredibly overrated. Becomes irrelevant against high level fighters (like Diego Sanchez).

Takedown defense: Awful

Takedowns: Awful

Diego Sanchez (among other wrestlers at WW in the UFC) would take him down and beat him up.

GSP would just take him down with ease over and over and LnP with quasi GnP to 5-round victory.

Jokers' date=' I bet Dan Henderson could come right back in because he's the well-rounded, knock out artist and knockout everybody at LHW too (including Jones).

Stand-up: No defensive movement, good chin/cardio to brawl with his fists, nice jab for brawling, mo real footwork, no kicks, [b']not technical[/b]. Slightly better than his bro Nate, but not by a lot.

Submission game: Good, but incredibly overrated. Becomes irrelevant against high level fighters (like Diego Sanchez).

Diego Sanchez (among other wrestlers at WW in the UFC) would take him down and beat him up.

GSP would just take him down with ease over and over and LnP with quasi GnP to 5-round victory.

he has top 5 techniqual boxing in all of mma. moronic statement by you.

Jokers' date=' I bet Dan Henderson could come right back in because he's the well-rounded, knock out artist and knockout everybody at LHW too (including Jones).

Stand-up: No defensive movement, good chin/cardio to brawl with his fists, nice jab for brawling, mo real footwork, no kicks, not technical. Slightly better than his bro Nate, but not by a lot.

GSP would just take him down with ease over and over and LnP with quasi GnP to 5-round victory.[/quote']

People keep bringing up the diego fight which happened over 6 years ago in 2005. im pretty sure 22 year old diaz(at the time) would have gotten better since then....

I have seen diaz get better and better every year since his UFC days.

Diego on the other hand seems, imo to have lost his touch. His last couple fights were great, but i feel his best days are behind him.

No doubt GSP could take down diaz with ease, but would he? He wouldnt even take shields down, what makes you think he's willing to take diaz down? Only way i see GSP winning is by Ground and pound out a decision, but diaz has great jj off his back. so its a risk.

And submission game overrated? going to pretend like i never read that.

Archived