Controversy time. Also, my thoughts on the fight.

DKF

1. GSP was spitting "water" all over himself. How do we know that wasn't a lubricant in the water bottle ?

Also, as a side note; Shields obviously trained his butt off with the great strikers over at the academy.

To anybody that says GSP didn't try to finish this fight is retarded. I DO NOT LIKE GSP AT ALL, but I'm going to defend him here. He threw some wild haymakers trying to knock him out... Several landed, but Shields showed off his iron jaw.

Rogan said, "Shields outwrestled Hendo." There is a difference between having the technique to make up for being at a size disadvantage, and not being fast enough to land a shot on an athlete like St. Pierre. Shields did a lot of things that might work against Nick or Nate, but GSP maybe not necessarily is the better grappler, but he is the better athlete. That's what decided this fight; Athleticism. I would rather shoot on somone strong and slow, rather than someone that is fast; "Shooting is a fast mans game."

Some mistakes Shields made:

- Trying to treetop an athlete like St. Pierre, that is just amateurish TBH. Someone as athletic as GSP can hop around and be balanced and would never fall to that finish.

- Not trying any doubles... Shields grabbed a couple singles, but he should have traded off to a double. Finishing a single is not easy, even on a scrub. Though, if traded off to a double there is a much higher %..

- He could have tried to time GSP's punches with shots. I'm not gonna lie, much easier said then done.. but GSP threw some predictable combos that Shields should have changed levels on, or ducked under and grabbed a body lock.

I can't give any advice in the standup department.

Though, I will applaud Jake for obvious improvements in his stand up. He not only showed a ton of heart, but he showed vast improvements in the standup. Though, if he didn't have that god gifted chin he would have been asleep several times over, if he can keep working with top notch strikers like Nick and develope some head movement and fluidity.

Overall not an unpleasing main event.

I think Shields biggest mistake was his one demensional striking. Yes, he obviously made improvements. However, every single punch came straight on. He did not work any angles, just straight stiff punches. I think if he would of mixed up his striking (upper cuts, hooks, doubles) he would of had a chance to pull off the win.

I think Shields biggest mistake was his one demensional striking. Yes' date=' he obviously made improvements. However, every single punch came straight on. He did not work any angles, just straight stiff punches. I think if he would of mixed up his striking (upper cuts, hooks, doubles) he would of had a chance to pull off the win.[/quote']

Yeah he seemed afraid to shoot, like if he didn't get it that the world would end or something.

Though Shields needs athleticism, that's the one tool he doesn't have at this point; IMO he is good enough to strike with anybody now IMO. (His chin makes up for his lack of avoiding punches)

He needs to move up to a more natural weight (185) and he needs to get stronger, faster, and more agile. I know aghleticism isn't something you can just have, and I'm sure he trains hard already.; but what I'm saying is that he can improve it a little bit. (He will probably never be near the level of GSP in athleticism, but if Shields can get a little faster and stronger that fight becomes a ridiculous challenge for gsp)

1. GSP was spitting "water" all over himself. How do we know that wasn't a lubricant in the water bottle ?

Also' date=' as a side note; Shields obviously trained his butt off with the great strikers over at the academy.

To anybody that says GSP didn't try to finish this fight is retarded. I DO NOT LIKE GSP AT ALL, but I'm going to defend him here. He threw some wild haymakers trying to knock him out... Several landed, but [b']Shields showed off his iron jaw[/b].

Rogan said, "Shields outwrestled Hendo." There is a difference between having the technique to make up for being at a size disadvantage, and not being fast enough to land a shot on an athlete like St. Pierre. Shields did a lot of things that might work against Nick or Nate, but GSP maybe not necessarily is the better grappler, but he is the better athlete. That's what decided this fight; Athleticism. I would rather shoot on somone strong and slow, rather than someone that is fast; "Shooting is a fast mans game."

- Trying to treetop an athlete like St. Pierre, that is just amateurish TBH. Someone as athletic as GSP can hop around and be balanced and would never fall to that finish.

- Not trying any doubles... Shields grabbed a couple singles, but he should have traded off to a double. Finishing a single is not easy, even on a scrub. Though, if traded off to a double there is a much higher %..

- He could have tried to time GSP's punches with shots. I'm not gonna lie, much easier said then done.. but GSP threw some predictable combos that Shields should have changed levels on, or ducked under and grabbed a body lock.

Though, I will applaud Jake for obvious improvements in his stand up. He not only showed a ton of heart, but he showed vast improvements in the standup. Though, if he didn't have that god gifted chin he would have been asleep several times over, if he can keep working with top notch strikers like Nick and develope some head movement and fluidity.

Overall not an unpleasing main event.

except when he was wabling from 1;)

Yeah he seemed afraid to shoot' date=' like if he didn't get it that the world would end or something.

Though Shields needs athleticism, that's the one tool he doesn't have at this point; IMO he is good enough to strike with anybody now IMO. (His chin makes up for his lack of avoiding punches)

He needs to move up to a more natural weight (185) and he needs to get stronger, faster, and more agile. I know aghleticism isn't something you can just have, and I'm sure he trains hard already.; but what I'm saying is that he can improve it a little bit. (He will probably never be near the level of GSP in athleticism, but if Shields can get a little faster and stronger that fight becomes a ridiculous challenge for gsp)[/quote']

Shields can strike with anyone now? GSPs looping rights should have knocked him out? C'mon now, at least try to be slightly objective here.

Yeah he seemed afraid to shoot' date=' like if he didn't get it that the world would end or something.

He needs to move up to a more natural weight (185) and he needs to get stronger, faster, and more agile. I know aghleticism isn't something you can just have, and I'm sure he trains hard already.; but what I'm saying is that he can improve it a little bit. (He will probably never be near the level of GSP in athleticism, but if Shields can get a little faster and stronger that fight becomes a ridiculous challenge for gsp)[/quote']

He's got flatfeet he'll never be a good striker

I think Shields biggest mistake was his one demensional striking. Yes' date=' he obviously made improvements. However, every single punch came straight on. He did not work any angles, just straight stiff punches. I think if he would of mixed up his striking (upper cuts, hooks, doubles) he would of had a chance to pull off the win.[/quote']

You forgot that he had some decent kicks. He actually kicked quite a lot.

But the problem is he is very slow. That's probably due to his vege diet, whatever. You can't do much with that little speed.

You forgot that he had some decent kicks. He actually kicked quite a lot.

But the problem is he is very slow. That's probably due to his vege diet' date=' whatever. You can't do much with that little speed.[/quote']

Exactly, he wasnt athletic enough to get close to GSP, and when he did get a hold of GSP, he did all the wrong things.

And someone didn't agree with me earlier when I said Jake could stand with anybody at 170 or 185 except for Silva.

I'm sticking to it, he has a top notch chin that makes up for a lack of movement, and it also allows him to go straight in with peppering jabs and suprisingly decent kicks. I can't see anyone but Silva knocking him out. Maybe not win a standup fight with anyone, but atleast have it decently close.

refer to thread"the truth about gsp"

Even if it was just water, don't you think it was still kind of a ***** move to spit all over your self just to be more slippery ?

Suprised more people didn't notice that, not to mention all the lubricants that could have possible been in that bottle. GSP is a nervous cheater.

all you guys like to defend GSP for his stupid eye injury

alot of BS I like to add

I don't consider GSP as a champ but as a wannabe fighter

Do you guys remember the Silva vs. Sonnen fight?

Silva had broken ribs and he still finished the fight in specticular fashion

Dana White hates how Silva fought against Cote and Maia when it went to decision

White should really tell GSP the same thing because his fights suck

hats off to the stars of the night

machida KO- AMAZING

jose aldo fight- AMAZING

worst performance goes out to GSP

all you guys like to defend GSP for his stupid eye injury

alot of BS I like to add

I don't consider GSP as a champ but as a wannabe fighter

Do you guys remember the Silva vs. Sonnen fight?

Silva had broken ribs and he still finished the fight in specticular fashion

Dana White hates how Silva fought against Cote and Maia when it went to decision

White should really tell GSP the same thing because his fights suck

hats off to the stars of the night

machida KO- AMAZING

jose aldo fight- AMAZING

worst performance goes out to GSP

Stop first day'ing

Also' date=' as a side note; Shields obviously trained his butt off with the great strikers over at the academy.

To anybody that says GSP didn't try to finish this fight is retarded. I DO NOT LIKE GSP AT ALL, but I'm going to defend him here. He threw some wild haymakers trying to knock him out... Several landed, but Shields showed off his iron jaw.

Overall not an unpleasing main event.[/quote']

I actually liked the fight, and I think it showed GSP had heart, much like the Alves fight did. Also, oil on the water, that would be stupid, considering he drank it. He was pouring the water into his eye. If you think it was oil, then every fighter shouldn't be allowed to bring bottled water into the ring, as they all pour it on the floor so that they can rub their feet on it to gain traction. I don't think GSP lubbed, and if he did Shields would've called it.

GSP didn't try to attack from the top when he rocked Shields on either occasion (He hit him with a jab that rocked him and a head kick). I love GSP as a fighter, as I like his gameplans. He always sticks to a gameplan, and implements it to his full potential. I think that he lacks the killer instinct. I will still watch his fights, but he is no JDS.

Am I the one saying Shields can stand and bang with anyone like the OP? Am I the one saying GSP's sloppy' date=' looping rights should have KOed Shields?

Try harder.[/quote']

Is this directed at me? You've been saying bullspit all morning bro. Rethink your hate.

haters-gonna-hate-kid.jpg

I actually liked the fight' date=' and I think it showed GSP had heart, much like the Alves fight did. [b']Also, oil on the water, that would be stupid, considering he drank it.[/b] He was pouring the water into his eye. If you think it was oil, then every fighter shouldn't be allowed to bring bottled water into the ring, as they all pour it on the floor so that they can rub their feet on it to gain traction. I don't think GSP lubbed, and if he did Shields would've called it.

GSP didn't try to attack from the top when he rocked Shields on either occasion (He hit him with a jab that rocked him and a head kick). I love GSP as a fighter, as I like his gameplans. He always sticks to a gameplan, and implements it to his full potential. I think that he lacks the killer instinct. I will still watch his fights, but he is no JDS.

Depends on what kind of oil it was, if there was any. But he has never really done that before and he did slip out rather easily when Jake got a hold of him. I am not accusing, although, it is a little suspicious.

Maybe you should rethink your guy-love for GSP' date=' especially after a pathetic performance like that.[/quote']

Nice try, bring facts or GTFO. I've brought ZERO fanboyism for GSP to these forums, I bring facts, and yes, speculation, fanboyism? no. And looking at your sig, LMFAO, I had this going all 5 rounds and it did. Whoops.

u cant fault GSP for fighting the fight he did, hes the champion.. if u want the belt u gota come take it

Shields needed to be more explosive, he had a couple single legs but he didnt drive into them.. he tried to WALK him back to the cage, which is a mistake

u cant fault GSP for fighting the fight he did' date=' hes the champion.. if u want the belt u gota come take it

Shields needed to be more explosive, he had a couple single legs but he didnt drive into them.. he tried to WALK him back to the cage, which is a mistake[/quote']

Agree. Shields to me was just not doing enough. As Rogan put it "less urgency". Rounds 3 to 5 was pretty much of the same during the earlier rounds plus his corner should have noticed GSP had trouble with his left eye. They had Shields waiting too long to do anything but jab, jab, jab. I mean, they should have told Shields to go for broke on the later rounds. He has nothing to lose except his 15 fight winning streak which means nothing if you havent got the belt. Unless GSP really hurt him with the jab and the spinning kicks. It was just a little short of a performance from Shields. I expected him to move around a lot or do something unpredictable. It was a frustrating fight for me actually. It was more of the same from round 1 to 5.

Archived