Shields takedowns

theshaun333

Just something that seems to have been overlooked, amid all the gsp bashing. I personally didnt think he would have much success getting gsp down, then keeping him there, but i thought he would atleast get him down once or twice. This is two fights in a row that Jake has had trouble getting a TD. Obviously he had more success against kampmann, and he seemed to give up taking gsp down.

My question - Is gsp's tdd that great, are shields td's not as good as people thought, or a combination of the both?

I think, before he appeared to abandon the td, gsp was just to fast and strong for shields. Supposedly he was the bigger stronger person, but when they clinched gsp just tossed him around. He caught a bunch of kicks, but really didnt he looked surprised that he gsp was able to stay standing?

well I voted GSP's TDD is just that good but we already know what GSP TDD is... I think its more that Shields TD were overrated.

I actually thought he'd make it once or twice too... like.. out of desperation or GSP tripping or something.. that didn't even happen. Truth is taht Shield's TD totally suck.

He has no exposion. He's good enough to get non-wrestlers to the ground but that's it. Everyone keeps bringing up the Henderson fight but I knew it didn't mean much cuz Hendo is 38 and is a dumb *** who seem to work more on his overhand than his wrestling anymore.

Just something that seems to have been overlooked' date=' amid all the gsp bashing. I personally didnt think he would have much success getting gsp down, then keeping him there, but i thought he would atleast get him down once or twice. This is two fights in a row that Jake has had trouble getting a TD. Obviously he had more success against kampmann, and he seemed to give up taking gsp down.

My question - Is gsp's tdd that great, are shields td's not as good as people thought, or a combination of the both?

I think, before he appeared to abandon the td, gsp was just to fast and strong for shields. Supposedly he was the bigger stronger person, but when they clinched gsp just tossed him around. He caught a bunch of kicks, but really didnt he looked surprised that he gsp was able to stay standing?[/quote']

no Shields Takedowns were never that good. Whoever told you they are hasn twatched MMA long for very long. He is good once on the ground though. whats surprising is he didnt go for it more, when he should of just rushed GSP more takedown or no takedown to at least TRY. But i think Shields remained standing because Shields saw a hole in GSP's game. That was the constant Overhand swinging. It wasnt hurting Shields, so i think Shields actually thought he might be able to take GSP standing.

Archived