Who are GSP's fans ?

SlurSlammer

GSP fan here, and this is the first performance where i was a little ticked off. I dont care for finished as much as other people. I feel as long as GSP puts forth a stronger skillset, he proves to be the better fighter, thus getting a win. He brings the fight into an element of skill rather than chance, which almost negates his opponents chance to get a lucky win, but also hurts GSPs odds of a finish as well. Big woop.

But, this fight....I couldnt stand that overhand right. by the end of the first, im asking myself what the hell is he doing. by the 4th im screaming at him to kick Shields body or legs instead of swinging at nothing with his right.

In my eyes, it looked like GSP had a solid game plan to attempt a finish, but after his eye poke and his depth perception was off, and Shields picking up on GSPs constant right hand, for being a self proclaimed "smart" fighter, GSP couldnt change it up on the fly. And THAT is way more disappointing than any non finishes. This time, his performance looked bad.

GSP fan here' date=' and this is the first performance where i was a little ticked off. I dont care for finished as much as other people. I feel as long as GSP puts forth a stronger skillset, he proves to be the better fighter, thus getting a win. He brings the fight into an element of skill rather than chance, which almost negates his opponents chance to get a lucky win, but also hurts GSPs odds of a finish as well. Big woop.

[b']But, this fight....I couldnt stand that overhand right. by the end of the first, im asking myself what the hell is he doing. by the 4th im screaming at him to kick Shields body or legs instead of swinging at nothing with his right.

[/b]

In my eyes, it looked like GSP had a solid game plan to attempt a finish, but after his eye poke and his depth perception was off, and Shields picking up on GSPs constant right hand, for being a self proclaimed "smart" fighter, GSP couldnt change it up on the fly. And THAT is way more disappointing than any non finishes. This time, his performance looked bad.

That overhand right was so forced, The pressure must have got to him to finish so he pulled out that move.

GSP fan here' date=' and this is the first performance where i was a little ticked off. I dont care for finished as much as other people. I feel as long as GSP puts forth a stronger skillset, he proves to be the better fighter, thus getting a win. He brings the fight into an element of skill rather than chance, which almost negates his opponents chance to get a lucky win, but also hurts GSPs odds of a finish as well. Big woop.

But, this fight....I couldnt stand that overhand right. by the end of the first, im asking myself what the hell is he doing. by the 4th im screaming at him to kick Shields body or legs instead of swinging at nothing with his right.

In my eyes, it looked like GSP had a solid game plan to attempt a finish, but after his eye poke and his depth perception was off, and Shields picking up on GSPs constant right hand, for being a self proclaimed "smart" fighter, GSP couldnt change it up on the fly. And THAT is way more disappointing than any non finishes. This time, his performance looked bad.[/quote']

Exactly. It's like he goes in with his game plan, but when it fails he just can't adjust or something. Some nice uppercuts, RIGHT hand jab, different strikes, KICKS, would have all made one hell of a difference in that fight. But instead he continued with the left jab, superman punch, crazy looping right thing.....

I'm a big GSP fan but that fight irked me too....But the thing is they're not all his fault. Shields, as well as his past decisioned couldn't seem to do jack **** against GSP either. I've been saying all along, he needs to fight someone good and well rounded to take him out of his godamn safe comfort zone, get him in desperation/urgency mode.

In my eyes, it looked like GSP had a solid game plan to attempt a finish, but after his eye poke and his depth perception was off, and Shields picking up on GSPs constant right hand, for being a self proclaimed "smart" fighter, GSP couldnt change it up on the fly. And THAT is way more disappointing than any non finishes. This time, his performance looked bad.[/quote']

Good post

I couldnt stand that overhand right. by the end of the first' date=' im asking myself what the hell is he doing. by the 4th im screaming at him to kick Shields body or legs instead of swinging at nothing with his right. [/quote']

this i agree with, the pressure to finish got to gsp, luckily not as much as chuck though...

Still rooting for St-Pierre, though I'd like to see him have some killer instinct. Of his six title defenses, only one has been stopped, but it wasn't a true finish in the sense that Georges "finished" him with an actual (T)KO or submission -- rather, BJ's corner threw in the towel between rounds.

On the other hand, it's the challenger's task to take the belt, and as long as Georges is successful at doing what he's been doing, I don't see the pattern changing. I hate to say it, but I believe a loss would do him good at this point in his career.

My 2 cents:

Risk management. George has A LOT more to lose than he does to gain.

If Pierre is in fact the better athlete/fighter (whatever term you want to use) he should focus his efforts into taking chance as much out of the equation as possible ? and try to make the fight a battle of skill (if he believes his skill is better) ? he should try to make his opponents fight ?his? fight as opposed to ?their? fight.

It would be dumb of him IMO to be in there trying to finish fights. Trying to finish means you bring in a higher degree of risk (and a greater chance of the Serra KO type event) ? sure it makes a better fight from a fan?s perspective. From the champ?s perspective his goal is to not lose a fight ($, fame, etc..). It is the right decision strategically.

So yup, I really enjoy GSP fights ? I view them and an interesting cross of strategy & athleticism. Compare to say a Chuck fight (at prime) ? I would not define his fights as strategic or athletic ? much more killer instinct, power & confidence. Chuck would go into a fight with the idea of taking the other guy?s head off ? George goes into a fight with the idea of not getting his taken off.

Archived