Pound For Pound: Anderson "The Spider" Silva

JJKid

Okay, this is a series I started a couple weeks ago called, "Pound for Pound". This is about the MMA greats, and why they stake their claim as the world's best Mixed Martial Artists. These fighter analysis will occur in no particular order, and don't necessarily appear on any P4P list. The first fighter was Jos? Aldo, and it was posted in the Wasteland.

Today's fighter appears on every legitimate pound for pound list, as a matter of fact, he is usually the headliner, Anderson "The Spider" Silva!

anderson-silva.jpg

Specs: Anderson stand 6'2'' and has a 77.5" reach. He is 36 years old. He currently fights in the UFC's Middleweight division (as the Champion), and has fought at Light Heavyweight as well.

Credentials:

Anderson has a diverse style, and holds Blackbelts in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu under the Nogueira Brothers, Tae Kwon Do, and Judo. As well as a yellow rope in Capoeira. Silva is also training Akido under Steven Seagal, which would usually be a laughable though, but given his, and Machida's recent front kick knock outs, it has been given an air of legitimacy.

Anderson has won the following Titles and accolades:

Shooto Middleweight Champion

Cage Rage Championships, Silva was the Last Cage Rage Middleweight Champion.

Ultimate Fighting Championship, Current UFC Middleweight Champion, Won Fight of the Night (3 times), Won Knockout of the Night (3 times), Won Submission of the Night (2 times), Unified UFC Middleweight and Pride FC Welterweight Championship, Most consecutive title defenses (Eight), Most successful title defenses (Eight), Most consecutive wins in the UFC (Thirteen)

Anderson has Won media awards: Sherdog Beatdown of the Year for 2009 win over Forrest Griffin, MMA Live Fight of the Year for 2010 win over Chael Sonnen, World MMA Awards Fight of the Year for 2010 win over Chael Sonnen

Background:

Anderson Silva trains at the Blackhouse Gym, in Brazil with MMA greats, Lyoto Machida, Jos? Aldo, and the Nogueira Brothers. Anderson is hands down, the best, most effective striker in MMA. He has shown this time and time again, with devastating knock outs over Rich Franklin (twice), Chris Leben, Forrest Griffin, James Irvin, Nate Marquardt, and most recently Vitor Belfort.

Anderson is mainly a counter striker, and performs best against aggressive opponents, such as Griffin or Franklin.

Silva's fights usually start tentative for the first 90 seconds, where both fighters throw out feelers, jabs, and light kicks. After both fighters get comfortable, Anderson usually attacks in a controlled manner, leaving small, easily corrected openings to lure his opponents. This is really evident in the Vitor fight, where Silva leaves his hand down few feet away from the explosive Phenom. After the opponent takes the bait, Anderson quickly moves out of the way, and if he has time, throws a light counter. Silva is so precise, that any connection he makes, lands in a hotspot (such as the chin, or temple). All this is to gain a feel of the opponents timing, which allows for more precise, and devastating counter strikes. The counters later in the round are usually multi strike, he throws kicks and punches both, to offset the opponent's striking, and remain unpredictable.

What makes Silva so effective is his perfect technique, and liquid like movement. Silva's long legs and arms are his greatest assets. His legs allow him to move across long distance very quickly, adding to his already lightening fast strikes. Silva has a 77.5" reach, with a very slender body, essentially, his arms make up the most of his reach, unlike a guy like Brock Lesnar, who has a giant reach, but is mostly upper body. This allows The Spider to punch from a distance, and get out of the way of any counters that may be coming at him.

As mentioned before, Silva's head movement is incredible. He moves like a snake, it's as if he sees punches before their launched. What is actually happening, is he is always moving, so he isn't trying to move from a static position. This is noticeable in the Griffin and Belfort fights, where they throw punches, Anderson sees them, and avoids by changing the direction of his head movement. This movement is another testament to his long legs, he can plant his feet and lean in different direction while keeping a wide base and balance, so even if a punch lands, he won't be easily knocked down.

Silva's Muay Thai is the best in MMA, his clinch work is beyond compare. Anderson throws knees and elbows from the clinch that end fights, like Chris Leben or Rich Franklin. What makes him so effective, is the control with his elbows, how he moves fighters into his knees, and hits them with the point of his knee. A cool trick Anderson uses to get his Thai clinch, is to throw a looping hook that is easy to dodge, then he grabs the back of his opponent's head on his hand'd return trip, to secure the two hand tie, or Muay Thai plum.

Even though Silva's striking is so devastating, his ground game is also very good. Silva is a top level Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Blackbelt under the Noguieras. His submission skills were on display in his wins over Travis Lutter, Dan Henderson, and most recently, Chael Sonnen.

Silva has a really good top game, and his ground and pound is just as precise as his stand up, he picks his shots, and they usually land. On the ground, Silva favours straight, postured punches from inside the guard, and lateral elbows.

Silva has a very impressive bottom game and guard. He was able to stifle Hendo in half guard for nearly an entire round. One of the Spider's most utilized tool from his guard is his body triangle, this again, is a tribute to his extraordinarily long legs. The body triangle holds his opponent's down, restricts their breathing, stifles passes, and puts pressure on their core when they try to posture up. The downside of this technique, is that it restricts your own hip movement, and leaves you stuck in bottom position while it is applied.

Anderson also has a very good offensive guard, his triangle chokes are quick, again, long legs, and his technique is flawless. He controls the wrist, then flips one leg up in a quick flick of his hips. In the Lutter fight, Anderson had him in a triangle choke, and was delivering brutal elbows from the bottom, adding just one more tool to his stacked arsenal. He also uses very good sweeps, especially from half guard, comparable to his mentor, Minotauro Noguiera.

Anderson only problem in his fights has been his wrestling, he was taken down on frequent occasion by Chael Sonnen, and Dan Henderson. Luckily for him, his BJJ has been a saving grace. I think the people who would give Anderson troubles are guys like GSP or Jake Shields, good wrestlers with BJJ Blackbelts. Even these guys will have trouble not getting knocked out on the feet.

If someone wants to beat Anderson striking, they have to be very good, and have a great gameplan. I think they would have to start quick, act like they are going to engage in the feeling contest, and explode with a series of straight punches. Anderson has demonstrated vulnerability to straight left hands. This might seem odd, given the domination dished out by Silva in the Maia fight, but Maia hit Silva with a few good straight left hands. Perhaps Silva was just complacent, and was hit because of that, but he was caught early by Chael as well. I really don't know who can pull this type of gameplan off, without getting Knocked out, maybe the reach of Jon Jones, would be a factor.

Closing Thoughts:

Anderson is the best striker in MMA, he has spectacular submissions, and has been undefeated for over five years. So far, it doesn't look like he's going anywhere, and let's hope he doesn't. With twelve fights in the UFC, all wins, and only 2 disappointing showings, he is the most exciting, explosive, and consistent Champion in the UFC. There is a reason he stands atop the heap in the pound for pound category.

anderson-silva-james-irvin-ufn14.jpg

Personal Thoughts:

I like Anderson, he seems respectful, albeit a bit arrogant (but how could he not be?). He shows respect for all of his opponents that respect him, and always puts on a show. However, when I think of my favourite fighters, Anderson doesn't jump to the forefront, I don't know why, but I just can't get attached to him. I will always buy his PPVs though, because I will either get to see the Greatest fighter in MMA lose, or add to his already very long list of victims, and highlight reel moments!

Thanks, as always, for reading this entire post. I will probably do my next P4P analysis on Lyoto Machida, my personal favourite fighter. I have been dying to dig my teeth in to that guy's unique move-pool.

Let me know what you think: Who will beat Anderson? How? Will he retire holding UFC gold?

Would like to see either GSP, Fedor and Jones VS Silva .... this was the setup fight for GSP VS Silva (again) .... it's dream fight that's not going to happen again..........as Scared Pierre will duck the fight again.

Fedor has his handlers who wouldn't let such a fight happen.

Jones ??? Both Silva didn't seem to mind the potential of that fight happening one day at 205 in that super-7 thing. Maybe if Machida is out of the picture, Silva moves up and at least that can happen.

Okay' date=' this is a series I started a couple weeks ago called, "Pound for Pound". This is about the MMA greats, and why they stake their claim as the world's best Mixed Martial Artists. These fighter analysis will occur in no particular order, and don't necessarily appear on any P4P list. The first fighter was Jos? Aldo, and it was posted in the Wasteland.

Today's fighter appears on every legitimate pound for pound list, as a matter of fact, he is usually the headliner, Anderson "The Spider" Silva!

[center']anderson-silva.jpg[/center]

Specs: Anderson stand 6'2'' and has a 77.5" reach. He is 36 years old. He currently fights in the UFC's Middleweight division (as the Champion), and has fought at Light Heavyweight as well.

Credentials:

Anderson has a diverse style, and holds Blackbelts in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu under the Nogueira Brothers, Tae Kwon Do, and Judo. As well as a yellow rope in Capoeira. Silva is also training Akido under Steven Seagal, which would usually be a laughable though, but given his, and Machida's recent front kick knock outs, it has been given an air of legitimacy.

Anderson has won the following Titles and accolades:

Shooto Middleweight Champion

Cage Rage Championships, Silva was the Last Cage Rage Middleweight Champion.

Ultimate Fighting Championship, Current UFC Middleweight Champion, Won Fight of the Night (3 times), Won Knockout of the Night (3 times), Won Submission of the Night (2 times), Unified UFC Middleweight and Pride FC Welterweight Championship, Most consecutive title defenses (Eight), Most successful title defenses (Eight), Most consecutive wins in the UFC (Thirteen)

Anderson has Won media awards: Sherdog Beatdown of the Year for 2009 win over Forrest Griffin, MMA Live Fight of the Year for 2010 win over Chael Sonnen, World MMA Awards Fight of the Year for 2010 win over Chael Sonnen

Background:

Anderson Silva trains at the Blackhouse Gym, in Brazil with MMA greats, Lyoto Machida, Jos? Aldo, and the Nogueira Brothers. Anderson is hands down, the best, most effective striker in MMA. He has shown this time and time again, with devastating knock outs over Rich Franklin (twice), Chris Leben, Forrest Griffin, James Irvin, Nate Marquardt, and most recently Vitor Belfort.

Anderson is mainly a counter striker, and performs best against aggressive opponents, such as Griffin or Franklin.

Silva's fights usually start tentative for the first 90 seconds, where both fighters throw out feelers, jabs, and light kicks. After both fighters get comfortable, Anderson usually attacks in a controlled manner, leaving small, easily corrected openings to lure his opponents. This is really evident in the Vitor fight, where Silva leaves his hand down few feet away from the explosive Phenom. After the opponent takes the bait, Anderson quickly moves out of the way, and if he has time, throws a light counter. Silva is so precise, that any connection he makes, lands in a hotspot (such as the chin, or temple). All this is to gain a feel of the opponents timing, which allows for more precise, and devastating counter strikes. The counters later in the round are usually multi strike, he throws kicks and punches both, to offset the opponent's striking, and remain unpredictable.

What makes Silva so effective is his perfect technique, and liquid like movement. Silva's long legs and arms are his greatest assets. His legs allow him to move across long distance very quickly, adding to his already lightening fast strikes. Silva has a 77.5" reach, with a very slender body, essentially, his arms make up the most of his reach, unlike a guy like Brock Lesnar, who has a giant reach, but is mostly upper body. This allows The Spider to punch from a distance, and get out of the way of any counters that may be coming at him.

As mentioned before, Silva's head movement is incredible. He moves like a snake, it's as if he sees punches before their launched. What is actually happening, is he is always moving, so he isn't trying to move from a static position. This is noticeable in the Griffin and Belfort fights, where they throw punches, Anderson sees them, and avoids by changing the direction of his head movement. This movement is another testament to his long legs, he can plant his feet and lean in different direction while keeping a wide base and balance, so even if a punch lands, he won't be easily knocked down.

Silva's Muay Thai is the best in MMA, his clinch work is beyond compare. Anderson throws knees and elbows from the clinch that end fights, like Chris Leben or Rich Franklin. What makes him so effective, is the control with his elbows, how he moves fighters into his knees, and hits them with the point of his knee. A cool trick Anderson uses to get his Thai clinch, is to throw a looping hook that is easy to dodge, then he grabs the back of his opponent's head on his hand'd return trip, to secure the two hand tie, or Muay Thai plum.

Even though Silva's striking is so devastating, his ground game is also very good. Silva is a top level Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Blackbelt under the Noguieras. His submission skills were on display in his wins over Travis Lutter, Dan Henderson, and most recently, Chael Sonnen.

Silva has a really good top game, and his ground and pound is just as precise as his stand up, he picks his shots, and they usually land. On the ground, Silva favours straight, postured punches from inside the guard, and lateral elbows.

Silva has a very impressive bottom game and guard. He was able to stifle Hendo in half guard for nearly an entire round. One of the Spider's most utilized tool from his guard is his body triangle, this again, is a tribute to his extraordinarily long legs. The body triangle holds his opponent's down, restricts their breathing, stifles passes, and puts pressure on their core when they try to posture up. The downside of this technique, is that it restricts your own hip movement, and leaves you stuck in bottom position while it is applied.

Anderson also has a very good offensive guard, his triangle chokes are quick, again, long legs, and his technique is flawless. He controls the wrist, then flips one leg up in a quick flick of his hips. In the Lutter fight, Anderson had him in a triangle choke, and was delivering brutal elbows from the bottom, adding just one more tool to his stacked arsenal. He also uses very good sweeps, especially from half guard, comparable to his mentor, Minotauro Noguiera.

Anderson only problem in his fights has been his wrestling, he was taken down on frequent occasion by Chael Sonnen, and Dan Henderson. Luckily for him, his BJJ has been a saving grace. I think the people who would give Anderson troubles are guys like GSP or Jake Shields, good wrestlers with BJJ Blackbelts. Even these guys will have trouble not getting knocked out on the feet.

If someone wants to beat Anderson striking, they have to be very good, and have a great gameplan. I think they would have to start quick, act like they are going to engage in the feeling contest, and explode with a series of straight punches. Anderson has demonstrated vulnerability to straight left hands. This might seem odd, given the domination dished out by Silva in the Maia fight, but Maia hit Silva with a few good straight left hands. Perhaps Silva was just complacent, and was hit because of that, but he was caught early by Chael as well. I really don't know who can pull this type of gameplan off, without getting Knocked out, maybe the reach of Jon Jones, would be a factor.

Closing Thoughts:

Anderson is the best striker in MMA, he has spectacular submissions, and has been undefeated for over five years. So far, it doesn't look like he's going anywhere, and let's hope he doesn't. With twelve fights in the UFC, all wins, and only 2 disappointing showings, he is the most exciting, explosive, and consistent Champion in the UFC. There is a reason he stands atop the heap in the pound for pound category.

anderson-silva-james-irvin-ufn14.jpg

Personal Thoughts:

I like Anderson, he seems respectful, albeit a bit arrogant (but how could he not be?). He shows respect for all of his opponents that respect him, and always puts on a show. However, when I think of my favourite fighters, Anderson doesn't jump to the forefront, I don't know why, but I just can't get attached to him. I will always buy his PPVs though, because I will either get to see the Greatest fighter in MMA lose, or add to his already very long list of victims, and highlight reel moments!

Thanks, as always, for reading this entire post. I will probably do my next P4P analysis on Lyoto Machida, my personal favourite fighter. I have been dying to dig my teeth in to that guy's unique move-pool.

Let me know what you think: Who will beat Anderson? How? Will he retire holding UFC gold?

Anderson is worshipping the statue he had erected of Chael Sonnen......because he knows if not....chael will slap him around again!!!

I like Anderson' date=' he seems respectful, albeit a bit arrogant (but how could he not be?). He shows respect for all of his opponents that respect him, and always puts on a show. However, when I think of my favourite fighters, Anderson doesn't jump to the forefront, I don't know why, but I just can't get attached to him. (QUOTE']

This is precisely how i feel. i acknowledge his skill, but he just isn't the type of fighter i can call a favorite of mine. his personality is just too much of a drawback. if he was more like machida or the nogs attitude-wise, then he would be one of my favs, but sadly, this isn't the case.

I really have to change the title... This wasn't really about P4P rankings, just a fighter analysis of Anderson Silva. This is in no way an argument for or against Silva.

Pound for Pound is just a title, I am analyzing great fighters, so I thought it would be a good title. I would also like to point out that I ever said Anderson was the P4P king, just that he sits there on most lists.

To ByeShadyChamp: Good post, I like allot of what you said. I just think you kind of missed the point of the thread. I understand it's a misleading title.

It's funny, Anderson says he, himself, is not the best. I agree with this, I think he is one of the best, but he isn't well rounded enough to be considered the best, Jake Shields is in the same boat. GSP and BJ Penn are guys with the whole package, good striking, great grappling. BJ Penn can wrestle as well as submit guys, while Georges dominates his opponents in every area. These guys will each have their own analysis before long.

Anderson is the best at making the skills he has work well for him, he is a great striker, and his Jiu Jitsu is good. What we don't see from Anderson is him taking guys down and submitting them, or going straight at his opponents with the intention of knocking them out quickly, which is very well in his realm of capabilities, note the Maia fight.

I do think Anderson Silva is the most entertaining and consistent fighter in the world. GSP has been boring lately, he isn't going in for the kill like he used to. BJ doesn't have the cardio to be consistent, so he ends up with losses (or draws). Silva doesn't always have a completely dominating performance, but 9 out of twelve times, there was an exciting finish.

Reasons GSP is best.

Most people believe there are 3' date=' but there are 6 cornerstones in MMA.

1.Striking-Silva is better.

2.Striking Defense-equal

3.Wrestling-GSP is better

4.Wrestling Defense-GSP is better

5.Ju-Jitsu GSP is better(don't argue, just google it or watch the fights)

6.Ju-Jitsu Defense-GSP is better (Fought Penn who is a world champion and did't avoid his BJJ. He actually dove right into it and won easy). If you are going to argue grease then watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjb6vMS5LHc This is a tired argument lead by haters who have no ground to argue on except looping video's doctored by other haters. If GSP was guilty he would have been punished, so drop it.

Being well rounded is very important. Everyone knows that GSP is the most well rounded athlete in the sport.

Records are another thing to consider when you are considering the best. GSP has a better winning record. Say what you want about who he has fought but top contender is top contender. GSP has only lost two rounds that I'm aware of in his entire career. Those rounds were lost because of one move each.

When fighting you have to consider a fighter at his best potential and was he at his best in his career at the time of the fight. Any informed fan knows that fighters peak. Typically after hitting that peak they either fall quickly in talent or keep fighting and have to deal with Uninformed fans smear their name. I've seen people bashing Tito, Couture, Shamrock and even Royce Gracie. Every single day people learn new things to bring to MMA and it doesn't mean the legends are bad fighters. It simply means that EVERY SINGLE FIGHTER PEAKS. This isn't an opinion, it's a fact. Some fighters keep fighting after their peak. It's really sad to watch newbie fans bashing these incredible fighters with no knowledge of the sport when these guys didn't give up in their prime. They stuck around to fight top talent to test themselves knowing the majority would hate them(because MMA is growing very fast and the majority of the fanbase is new). This being said, everyone GSP has ever fought was at the best in their career when GSP faced them.

Silva's opponents have been weak all around since joining the UFC. He joined a weak weight class (don't get me wrong, there are no easy fights in the UFC, but MW is the weakest weight)(Only now because of the merger, HW was and MW was #2 weakest, now MW is the weakest) Please leave the garbage about how ?Silva makes them look weak?. I'm not a newbie fan, I've watched the fighters, they are weak when compared. Hendo was the only true force.

Most of GSP's opponents remained in the UFC because they are elite opponents, which is why he had the drive to make himself so good. In fact his first pro fight contender is in the UFC today, and winning. GSP is a future hall of famer. He has also beat a hall of famer and a future hall of famer.

Lets talk performances. I will not win this debate even though I do choose GSP. The debate that I see is a fighter that is a KO artist or a fighter who can pick apart the most elite fighters in the world, and typically win by such a large margin that fighter never has a chance to try ANYTHING. But I will and have admitted that the reason most of this WHOLE debate has been going on, is because of this. And the majority of the people like KO's so Anderson Silva wins by a long shot. Partly due to all of the merging fans from boxing and the new fans that don't know what passing guard is.

Win Streaks. Silva has the biggest but a lot of the opponents in this streak are terrible fighters and some are just not worthy of TOP MMA talk. Leites? Lutter? Irvin?Cote?Fryklund haha!? Just look at where they are now. Griffin and Belfort had peaked well before their encounter with Silva, Belfort more than Griffin. I love Griffin to death but he is most popular because he was in a slug war with ***** and neither of them had KO power, yet both had decent chins. Griffin has the best personallity in MMA which sells him to a lot of fans but he is one of the TWO people to get beat by Jeremy Horn by striking out of Horns 87 fights.

Losses. Easy debate yet a majority of the Silva fans I've talked to in the last month bring it up again and again. The fact is EVERY elite fighter will eventually have losses. Any fighter can win with luck on any given day. What matters is what you do about it. Lots of Silva fans debating me bring up Serra's KO. I saw it. GSP took him lightly, no mystery there. GSP came back to beat Serra so bad it was emberassing. He also came back to beat Hughes so bad it was emberassing. Silva never avenged his losses. And yes it is important to avenge your losses. If someone beats you, it means that someone is better than you until you prove it differently. That is MMA. Take it or leave it. GSP has beat EVERYONE he has ever fought. Silva never avenged his four losses. But he is expected to fight Okami again. Silva fans were raving about how Silva was winning that fight, but Okami only caught love tap kicks up until his takedown. Silva paniced and upkicked because all of his losses are on the ground. Silva not only lost, but he lost cheating. I'm not going to say Silva is going to win their second fight. But the talk about how Okami was losing is just trash, he made the only power move of the fight.

Other Silva losses include Ryo Chonan, who was beat by Paresian within the same time frame GSP beat Karo.

Domination. I've head a lot of ?lay and pray? talk about GSP lately. These fans are embarassing themselves. No one has ever seen GSP lay and pray. GSP mixes it up, if he gets the takedown, he is immediately working on passing guard. A lot of newbie fans call this ?hugging? or ?lay and pray?. He is always working with either striking or passing guard or GNP. A lot of Silva fans say he is more dominant. This is what is fun for me. No fighter in history has been more dominant than GSP. As I said before, most newbie fans only see stand-up and believe Silva is more dominant. But that's why it's called MIXED-Martial-Arts. GSP is better at that than anyone in the sport. Look at all of their fights. GSP has lost maybe 2 rounds in his career and he does not avoid a fight. He always pushes foreward dominating the entire time. Then look at Silva. He lost 4-5 rounds to a one dimentional Sonnen. He avoided Maia's ground game and set a record for most time lapsed without combat, over a full MINUTE at times. He also avoided Leites, yet just like Maia, Leites was trying to avoid the striking. Letites would try to pull guard and fall, yet Silva never moved back enough to let the ref stand them up. Silva would land just enough foot kicks to keep the BJJ guy grounded so he could run the clock. I've heard talk about how elite he was because he not only won, but he taunted. Real fighters don't taunt, they fight. No elite fighter wastes time taunting unless you are stalling for some reason. But it plays into the fan base that watches a lot of movies, gotta give it to Silva.

Finishes. This is 100% opinion based. I love seeing KO's, thats a fact. But when I can see GSP win against a top competitor in the sport and shut that elite fighter down so bad that the opponent almost never scores ONE offensive point the entire fight, that is talent (opinion). The finishing argument was out when they added a time limit. Some fighters are endurace, some are power. If you add a time limit to an endurace fighter, he may run out of time before his talent shows up. No fighter will TRY to win by judge. The judges are horrible as everyone knows. And the longer you are in a fight, the more time your opponent has to pull off a luck win, sub or ko. Why would anyone plan for that. I get a lot of debate on ?GSP fights safe so he's not best P4P?....If anything that gives him a better chance of winning the fight. Silva wouldn't default win if GSP didn't finish, lol.

The chain of fighters. The killer here is GSP has beat Karo Paresian who has beat Ryo Chonan. Ryo beat Silva. GSP beat Shields, who beat Okami, who beat Silva. The exact same night Shields beat Okami, he beat Condit. I've heard TONS of people saying Condit is better than GSP.

Polls. The most popular website in 2010 was MMAJUNKIE. Junkie started a poll of who was the best P4P fighter. GSP was first, Fedor was second, Silva was third with a 9%. This is why I say that it doesn't matter what Joe Rogan says. Silva isn't best P4P. It's not up to one organization or one man trying to sell it. Its up to the fans. The people and facts have spoke. Even this person spoke up about it, watch it at 3:55.

GSP is the best P4P fighter in the world hands down. I did a lot of research for my threads and learned a lot about Silva. I was actually expecting to be proven wrong by some facts I didn't know, because I heard all of this talk. But after all of the research, I have less respect for Silva than when I started.[/quote']

Stop posting the same garbage on every topic. Most of this is completely baseless and shows how much of a fanboy you are.

Reasons GSP is best.

Most people believe there are 3' date=' but there are 6 cornerstones in MMA.

1.Striking-Silva is better.

2.Striking Defense-equal

3.Wrestling-GSP is better

4.Wrestling Defense-GSP is better

5.Ju-Jitsu GSP is better(don't argue, just google it or watch the fights)

6.Ju-Jitsu Defense-GSP is better (Fought Penn who is a world champion and did't avoid his BJJ. He actually dove right into it and won easy). If you are going to argue grease then watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjb6vMS5LHc This is a tired argument lead by .[/quote']

Ok ill feed the troll this time

1. Striking-Silva is better? hah Silva's stand up rapes him

2. Dtriking Defense- equal LOL, GSP couldn't even defend Jake's pillow fists

3.Wrestling-i agree

4. Wrestling defense-ok

5.Ju-jitsu- better? lol He couldn't even submit Dan Hardy, i dont even think his black belt is legit.

6.Jitz defense- GSP is better? HAHAHA Didn't you see gsp tap to hughes, or when he had to put on vaseline because he couldn't defend penns subs?

good piece' date=' read it over dinner - :P

... he can cement his legacy @ 205, GSP is too small & slippery -[/quote']

Silva like JJKid is awesome

feel free to quote this JJKid you've earned it

good read as always

Thanks guys' date=' always appreciated.

silva p4p #1, dont bother making a machida one, because he isn't :)

These thread aren't about being number one. I write these to highlight the fighters, their skills, and what makes them so effective. I will be doing one on BJ Penn, Georges St.Pierre, Cain Velasquez, Jon Jones, and any other fighter who shows a well rounded skill set, who rises to the top, Machida included. They don't even have to be on any P4P list, as I said, it's just a highlight, I might even do an analysis of the Griff, in lieu of his upcoming bout with Shogun.

Machida is my favourite fighter, and has been for quite some time, of course I am going to type out an analysis of him. :D

I do these to break the monotony of current posts, Silva is a hard one to time, because he is always relevant, people always talk about him, especially after a big win. I did him now because the focus is on GSP and Jos? Aldo, and eyes are now set to UFC 130. So a Silva thread helps break that mold.

I can't do Machida right away, because the focus is on him now, from his flying kick. I will wait a couple of weeks, do a few fight breakdowns, then serve out a dish of Dragon, once the dust settles. ;)

l love reading anderson silva posts' date=' but half way through it just became a HUGE wall of text that I stopped reading.

If you're going to do this, make it sweet and short. The OP was WAYYY too long.[/quote']

n00b, learn to read

l love reading anderson silva posts' date=' but half way through it just became a HUGE wall of text that I stopped reading.

If you're going to do this, make it sweet and short. The OP was WAYYY too long.[/quote']

I usually separate long posts with different coloured texts and headlines. I can't shorten it easily, and cover all the information. I actually left some things out.

I understand the monotony of trying to read a big chunk of writing, but it's not like it is filled with run on sentences and grammatical errors.

This actually does have a couple grammatical errors that I missed on the proofread, but there's not much point in fixing them now. That's the consequence of writing a detailed post on a laptop keyboard at 5:30 am :D

I hope you take the time to finish reading it, however; I think it is a good read, and I work hard on my posts.

great thread. i actually read through the whole thing.. you should do jon jones soon... then probably dominick cruz or cain velasquez after that. :)

Thanks.

Next up is Machida. Jones is a logical next choice.

Cruz is probably not going to get an analysis until he fights Faber' date=' people aren't really familiar with the bantamweight division yet, so I'll let them get a peek. This is just so there's some interest.

funniest thing ive ever seen. lol, and agree Silva crushes all opposition

I laughed too, I had seen it before, but it is funny as hell.

Good post. Another interesting fact is that Anderson is undefeated in title fights period' date=' regardless of which title you are talking about. I think thats pretty cool.[/quote']

Thanks very much.

That is an interesting point. I wonder if that will ever change? ;)

Thanks.

Next up is Machida. Jones is a logical next choice.

Cruz is probably not going to get an analysis until he fights Faber' date=' people aren't really familiar with the bantamweight division yet, so I'll let them get a peek. This is just so there's some interest.

I laughed too, I had seen it before, but it is funny as hell.[/quote']

Bro i cant wait for you to do Lyoto...

Bro i cant wait for you to do Lyoto...

I have spent the last hour watching the Tito fight. I first watch in full speed, then 33%. I watched the Thiago Silva fight last night, tomorrow I'll be watching the Rashad Evans fight. I'll do both Shogun fights when I get a day off, they'll take a couple of hours. Then Rampage and Randy fights.

I'll do a couple fight breakdowns for UFC 130, then post "Pound For Pound: Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida, after the focus shifts.

So, you're going to have to wait :D

I have spent the last hour watching the Tito fight. I first watch in full speed' date=' then 33%. I watched the Thiago Silva fight last night, tomorrow I'll be watching the Rashad Evans fight. I'll do both Shogun fights when I get a day off, they'll take a couple of hours. Then Rampage and Randy fights.

I'll do a couple fight breakdowns for UFC 130, then post "Pound For Pound: Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida, after the focus shifts.

So, you're going to have to wait :D[/quote']

All good broski.... I look forward to your breakdowns....

You always put forward a great read....

All good broski.... I look forward to your breakdowns....

You always put forward a great read....

Thanks, I appreciate it. I put quite a bit of time into it.

It mellows me out between testing for my Brown belt, school and work. I like doing this stuff. I'm not even sure which fight I am going to do next from UFC 130, though... Probably Rampage vs Hamill.

Thanks' date=' I appreciate it. I put quite a bit of time into it.

It mellows me out between testing for my Brown belt, school and work. I like doing this stuff. I'm not even sure which fight I am going to do next from UFC 130, though... Probably Rampage vs Hamill.[/quote']

Yeah mate, you are very in depth & Im sure plenty of peeps on here enjoy your breakdowns as much as i do....

As for 130 - ... Yeah Quinton & Mat sounds good.... I was also think Roy & Frank...

BUT no matter which matchuo you decide to do, its bound to be a good read...

Keep up the good work JJ...

Yeah mate' date=' you are very in depth & Im sure plenty of peeps on here enjoy your breakdowns as much as i do....

As for 130 - ... Yeah Quinton & Mat sounds good.... I was also think [b']Roy & Frank[/b]...

BUT no matter which matchuo you decide to do, its bound to be a good read...

Keep up the good work JJ...

Already done brother.

I'll keep doing Breakdowns and Fighter analysis' as long people read them and respond positively.

Did you re-read the ones that were done for 129 after the event? I was even impressed by my accuracy LoL. I called Machida would win in the second by kicks, and that Randy wouldn't be able to get a hold of him too easily. I said St.Pierre would open up with strikes, instead of just jabs, and keep the fight standing. I called the Decision by St.Pierre. I called Rory's gameplan to the tee.

The only problems I had, were St.Pierre's eye, Rory's epic slams (who could have seen that coming?), and Diaz not showing up for a fight. I actually thought Diaz would win, had he come in with any gameplan at all.

I am tooting the **** outta my own horn LoL. Sorry.

Already done brother.

I'll keep doing Breakdowns and Fighter analysis' as long people read them and respond positively.

Did you re-read the ones that were done for 129 after the event? I was even impressed by my accuracy LoL. I called Machida would win in the second by kicks' date=' and that Randy wouldn't be able to get a hold of him too easily. I said St.Pierre would open up with strikes, instead of just jabs, and keep the fight standing. I called the Decision by St.Pierre. I called Rory's gameplan to the tee.

The only problems I had, were St.Pierre's eye, Rory's epic slams (who could have seen that coming?), and Diaz not showing up for a fight. I actually thought Diaz would win, had he come in with any gameplan at all.

I am tooting the **** outta my own horn LoL. Sorry.[/quote']

**** mate... Im hooking you up with a betting account for me for 130....

We shall make some serious $$$... IF you picked those like that for 129.... We will kill it in picks for 130.

My hats off JJ...

**** mate... Im hooking you up with a betting account for me for 130....

We shall make some serious $$$... IF you picked those like that for 129.... We will kill it in picks for 130.

My hats off JJ...

I don't play with people's money LoL.

I would feel bad if I cost someone money because I picked wrong, or there was a Mike Russow vs Todd Duffee type knock out.

Well done man! Excellent read. Too bad this thread will go quite unnoticed. Seems like everyone is more into trolling than anything else haha. Although I am guilty of trolling' date='[b'] I also can be a respectable poster at times[/b] :)

I didn't know you were anything else. :D

Thanks, I noticed allot of people don't read it because of the length. Also, the title is a bit misleading, people think that it's about Anderson being #1 P4P, when it's actually a skills analysis LoL. People got it when I did Aldo's, but I guess the Anderson threads have been a little overdone. It's too bad.

Archived