In Regards to the Main Event... What Did You People Expect?

disty_pal

i dont understand why you guys keep bashing the gsp/shields fight, because honestly how could anyone have expected anything different? its a gsp fight were talking about here people. he fights intelligently, something you cavemen cant appreciate.

i mean come on, how many times did gsp say that shields was the most dangerous fighter hes ever faced? if he truly believed that, then why in the hell would he take any risks? it was foolish of anyone to think that gsp was going to risk going for the knockout or finish in this fight against someone he believed was going to be so threatening.

because gsp is smart enough to know that winning via points is a much more guaranteed way of winning the fight, especially against someone so dangerous. guyz, gsp is just playing the winning percentages. why roll the dice when you can pretty much guarantee yourself a win every single fight?

and thats what gsp is gonna keep doing, hes going to keep winning. and hes probably going to end up being the goat whether you guyz like it or not, because theres a high percentage chance that he will end up racking up the most consecutive wins. gsp p4p #1, face facts people.

The fight went almost exactly as I predicted, minus the damage Shields was actually able to do to GSP's face because I thought it would be the other way around, and I actually won a bunch of money off the fight. You wont hear me complain about GSP fighting safe or fighting to his opponent's weaknesses, other than to mention how boring it is to watch, because it's the smart thing to do.

What you will hear me complain about is when he says things like "I like to beat my opponent's where they are strongest" and "Don't blink" and "I plan to finish him quickly" because I don't like being lied to. I don't think champions should be hypocrites and I don't think they should have to apologize for their performances, he knew he was going to try to out box Shields for 5 rounds and take it to the judges so that's what he should have said when Joe Rogan had the mic in his face.

I don't think GSP is the P4P best nor do I think he will be considered the GOAT, mostly because Bas Rutten still exists, with performances like this last one. He won this fight but he didn't dominate like he has in the past, he did just enough to squeak by. Anderson Silva is still above him in the P4P rankings because he both dominates, even in the Chael fight he did more real damage despite fighting from his guard most of the fight, and because he is willing to fight above his current weight class, and win there too. That said, I think GSP has a great chance of grinding out a unanimous decision victory against Silva should they ever meet unless Steven Segal can teach him how to shake off a double leg take down.

To be P4P best you have to:

1. Finish Fights

2. Beat the highest level competition

3. Beat the highest level competition consecutively.

GSP doesn't qualify for #1

A Silva doesn't qualify for #2

Aldo doesn't qualify for #3

I enjoyed the fight :) Really showed how dominant GSP is. Was able to force one of the best grapplers in MMA to stand for 5 rounds' date=' no body else could do that. Andy has proven he can't do it even with non top 5 grapplers.[/quote']

Stop trolling

The fight showed how 1-dimensional GSP is, he couldn't even outstrike the worst striker at WW

To be P4P best you have to:

1. Finish Fights

2. Beat the highest level competition

3. Beat the highest level competition consecutively.

GSP doesn't qualify for #1

A Silva doesn't qualify for #2

Aldo doesn't qualify for #3

1. While I agree with the spirit of this requirement, I think winning dominantly counts just as much as finishing. When you are dealing with top guys, their defenses can be hard to overcome which makes it tough to the the KO or Submission. What GSP doesn't qualify for is going in for the kill when he has his opponents in a bad position like after rocking Shields bad with that head kick.

2. Agreed, but barring Maia who was filling in for an injured Vitor Belfort who wasn't "highest level competition" for Anderson Silva at that time? Thales Leites was on a 5 fight win streak, 3 by way of submission, going into his title fight. Ditto for Patrick Cote. James Irvin's win streak got a hiccup by way of Medical TKO because of a knee injury, he wasn't finished by Thiago Silva. It isn't that Anderson Silva hasn't faced top competition, its that he usually makes that competition look incompetent. He had bad performances against Mia and Leites, but he was still punking them like they were children.

3. I don't see how this truly differs from 2 in any way other than to try to discredit Jose Aldo who I haven't really followed because I didn't watch much WEC due to when the fights aired and not for a lack of interest.

Screw all this intelligent talk about fighters intelligence and styles.........go watch Balet dancing you idiots..

im one of those cavemen that wants to se someone get a royal a$$ kicking in the octogon. Yea im a GSP fan...yea he is smart for playing it safe and makin the big bucks as champ.....but do i have to like it ...no way....i watch UFC cuz the man in me...the animal wants to be released when i watch UFC and i get satisfaction out of wathing a good a$$ kickin.

That is what these fighters signed up for and to do....period

For all you pansies that care about feelings and other crap....go watch the Ballet..i also hear they are re-releasing Phantom of the Opera in 3-D just for you and your tender heart....lol

Anderson Silva is attacked, his job threatened for 2 bad performances and he still beat the crap of of them in the process of humiliating them...and GSP has 8 crap fights in a row.........where is the justice....

Screw all this intelligent talk about fighters intelligence and styles.........go watch Balet dancing you idiots..

im one of those cavemen that wants to se someone get a royal a$$ kicking in the octogon. Yea im a GSP fan...yea he is smart for playing it safe and makin the big bucks as champ.....but do i have to like it ...no way....i watch UFC cuz the man in me...the animal wants to be released when i watch UFC and i get satisfaction out of wathing a good a$$ kickin.

That is what these fighters signed up for and to do....period

For all you pansies that care about feelings and other crap....go watch the Ballet..i also hear they are re-releasing Phantom of the Opera in 3-D just for you and your tender heart....lol

Anderson Silva is attacked' date=' his job threatened for 2 bad performances and he still beat the crap of of them in the process of humiliating them...and GSP has 8 crap fights in a row.........where is the justice....[/quote']

this is the most ridiculous post ive ever seen. fighting is all about intelligence. and the only way to fight intelligently is to fight safe. theres a reason why gsp is one of the longest reigning champions ever.

in fact he should be the longest reigning champion ever, anderson is overrated and has been lucky for taking risks his entire career and still being champion. anderson fights recklessly and doesnt play it safe therefore hes eventually gonna get knocked out one of these days. face facts guy.

Archived