Money has a profound effect on fighters. (GSP is a true Capitalist)

B_radly1406052482

I was just thinking about GSP's fights of late. Longstanding sizeable paychecks do have a certain lure. Perhaps Georges is being a smart business man, and sees this more as a business rather than a fighting for the love of fighting thing. I mean I can't blame him or any other fighter for it. Fighting and sparring all the time takes it's toll. With the due heat he's getting from fans, he'll have only one choice to stay fan friendly, and that's to start training for the finish, and become more willing to take some punches to get inside. Inside is where the fight is and gets finished, not from outside playing it safe.

Georges, you are a great athlete and martial artist. Now come back to the place in your soul where money has taken the place of risk, the spot where the fighter used to dwell, and we'll see you at 185' in 2012.

Thanks.

I'll be here all week.

I was worried when I saw the title but this was actually a really good post.

GSP is a capitalist and he's prudent. He wants to win so he's opted to take the safe route as long as he's champion he gets big paydays, this sport isn't baseball or football or basketball even the upper echelon guys don't make HUGE money. You have to rely on sponsors and merchandise for that, which becomes a double edged sword, people love winners but they also love finishers. Being a finisher however, does not provide the kind of longevity that can make for a secure retirement, you could get knocked out horrendously and never be the same again, and on the other end being a winner means you have to deal with your detractors when you play it safe for five rounds.

That having been said that's why there's so much friction on his end about the Silva fight, I like Georges and I'll flat out say I think he's scared of Silva, if he takes that fight he loses his welterweight belt and has to fight middleweight and if he loses there's no gaurantee he gets an immediate shot at his belt look what happened with Pettis, so yeah he's smart planning for his future at the cost of his image.

So expect more of the same, and I'm not holding my breath for a super fight.

Considering the 129k bonus I would think a true capitalist would win and try to finish fights off brutal head kicks.

The win bonus is higher then the KO of the night bonus, so therefore a true capitalist would play it safe and get the win bonus

The win bonus is higher then the KO of the night bonus' date=' so therefore a true capitalist would play it safe and get the win bonus[/quote']

But the very reason the ko bonus exists is because the UFC rewards finishes. So to stay relevant in this type market, risk is inevitable. He must take it to stay at the top of the market.

He's been playing it safe since getting caught by Serra. Since then he's had very strict game plans and has been a master at following them to a win. Before the Serra fight GSP was fantastic to watch. I don't think it's as much about the money as it is being a dominant champion, to be remembered long after he's finished. The only problem is he's going to be remembered for slow drawn out fights at this rate.

His game plan against Shields consisted of what, 4 things? Straight left, overhead right, spinning back kick, defend clinch/take down. He did this consistently but the fight only really got boring once he'd damaged his eye and backed off to just hold out the win.

You can't blame him for wanting to be the winner, but the legacy he's chasing will be the wrong one unless he does start to loosen up in his fights.

Fighting is risky business. You take risks every time you fight whether it is in the streets or the octagon. GSP is scared to take risks so I'm not sure why he is fighting. My friends are Canadians and they are fed up with GSP...That is when you know you got a problem. GSP's last fight showed that he isn't anywhere near the P4P greatest. And for damn sure he can't hang with the Brazilian killer.

I was just thinking about GSP's fights of late. Longstanding sizeable paychecks do have a certain lure. Perhaps Georges is being a smart business man' date=' and sees this more as a business rather than a fighting for the love of fighting thing. I mean I can't blame him or any other fighter for it. Fighting and sparring all the time takes it's toll. With the due heat he's getting from fans, he'll have only one choice to stay fan friendly, and that's to start training for the finish, and become more willing to take some punches to get inside. Inside is where the fight is and gets finished, not from outside playing it safe.

Georges, you are a great athlete and martial artist. Now come back to the place in your soul where money has taken the place of risk, the spot where the fighter used to dwell, and we'll see you at 185' in 2012.

Thanks.

I'll be here all week.[/quote']

i like Capitalism as an economy but not Capitalist fighters. I like my P4P fighters Communist like Fedor

i like Capitalism as an economy but not Capitalist fighters. I like my P4P fighters Communist like Fedor

I actually really like Fedor, considering he took risks fighting such bigger opponents and always went for the finish taking punishment to get it. This type of warrior mentality in a fighter is what makes exciting fights. You would never see Fedor, Rampage, Wandy, Vitor, Anderson, hell even Chael Sonnen... stall for the win. These guys and others bring the fight, and this is what will make them legendary. Not the W.

Archived