Sign in to follow this  
Javynstuff

Who's really the greatest UFC WW champ of all time?

Hughes or GSP

IMO it's Hughes here's why not only does he have the record for title defenses with 7, but he finished 6 of those fights, beat GSP (I'm aware he later lost to him) when he was already starting to slow down a bit, he always fought like a champion has good stats to go with it,

Gsp is amazing no joke and I honestly dislike the way he fights I'm not guna lie I haven't been supporting him for a while now, unlike some people I don't like him because he doesn't fight to what I believe are his full capabilities I think he's robbing me when I pay to see him fight , I think he looks at a fight and chooses to go the easiest and safest way too win, you can't just go from knocking guys out and finishing or at least having intertaining fights to dead on snoozfests I mean really something is really up on that guys dome.

GSP may move faster, look better, face some tough guys, hell sell more ppvs (don't know why) but when I think of a champion Hughes is the guy I'll remember the most :)

What do YOU think?

Matt Hughes fought lesser opponents.

To be fair though, he did fight some of the best when he was in his prime. Yeah, the guys he fought wern't as good as the guys GSP beat, but that's cause people wern't as talented as GSP back then.

To be fair though' date=' he did fight some of the best when he was in his prime. Yeah, the guys he fought wern't as good as the guys GSP beat, but that's cause people wern't as talented as GSP back then.[/quote']

Yeah who has gsp finished that's crazy talented?

And that up there ladies and gentlemen is the last fight that meant anything too gsp

Over 2 years and counting for mister St. Pierre. Over 3 years and counting if you don't count that as a real finish too! :D

Hughes was on his way out dude c'mon' date=' Penn is valid even though he didn't really finish him...[/quote']

Newton, Castillo, Trigg, Riggs, and Verissimo were all on the downside of their respective careers when he beat them too.

Actually, Trigg was never really that good.

Newton' date=' Castillo, Trigg, Riggs, and Verissimo were all on the downside of their respective careers when he beat them too.

Actually, Trigg was never really that good.[/quote']

^^^ exactly. CAN YOU SAY TOMATOE CAN.

Hughes fought cans....yippee **** how many finishes he got?!

And Newton choked his *** out. He got lucky he woke up quicker is all.;)

Can't you Canadians at least pretend to be impartial.

Can't you Canadians at least pretend to be impartial.

Honestly, I can see why you might say that.... but truthfully how the hell can people seriously even compare these two guys?

Hughes' striking is pathetic. Great wrestler, but comon son? His two credible wins were over GSP and Penn, who were both winning the fight until Penn gassed and GSP got caught in the armbar. Then they both came back to beat him 2 out of 3.

And with the poll the way it is? :rolleyes: it's obvious that it is the yanks that can't be impartial.

Newton' date=' Castillo, Trigg, Riggs, and Verissimo were all on the downside of their respective careers when he beat them too.

Actually, Trigg was never really that good.[/quote']

Are you really asserting that all these guys were past there prime?

Newton was 25

Trigg was 31

Riggs was 28

You have to remember that these guys suck now but in their time they were the best in the WW division. They were good at wrestling, jujitsu, and striking. It's not like they came from the early 90's and could only do jujitsu. These guys had a really good overall game. Some may say better than some of the one dimensional fighters that we see in the WW division today.

Honestly' date=' I can see why you might say that.... but truthfully how the hell can people seriously even compare these two guys?

Hughes' striking is pathetic. Great wrestler, but comon son? His two credible wins were over GSP and Penn, who were both winning the fight until Penn gassed and GSP got caught in the armbar. Then they both came back to beat him 2 out of 3.

And with the poll the way it is? :rolleyes: it's obvious that it is the yanks that can't be impartial.[/quote']

I don't know any American that doesn't like GSP for being Canadian, but I do know Canadians that will support GSP no matter what. I agree about Matt's striking, but can we really say that GSP''s striking is all that much better?

123_2-gyi0062552978.jpg

gsp_penn_2.jpg

Hughes was the greatest until he passed the torch when GSP beat him.

Why do you have a picture of BJ Penn KOing Matt Hughes? LOL :D

I don't know any American that doesn't like GSP for being Canadian' date=' but I do know Canadians that will support GSP no matter what. I agree about Matt's striking, but can we really say [b']that GSPs' striking is that much better[/b]?

Yes

Yes

He was outstruck by Jake Shields. I am no expert, but I would think that Jake Shields striking is considered to be pretty bad.

I don't know any American that doesn't like GSP for being Canadian' date=' but I do know Canadians that will support GSP no matter what. I agree about Matt's striking, but can we really say that GSP''s striking is all that much better?[/quote']
Yes

xf5dgl.gif

I don't know any American that doesn't like GSP for being Canadian' date=' but I do know Canadians that will support GSP no matter what. I agree about Matt's striking, [b']but can we really say that GSP''s striking is all that much better[/b]?

Watch GSP vs Hughes 2, and ask yourself if thats a valid question

I thought the poll would be full of GSP nutthuggers saying GSP was better than Hughes but i guess there are some people on here with some kind of intelligence.

Even if GSP were to go back in time, and fight the same guys Hughes fought he would still not finish any of them. I think GSP will surpass Hughes eventually, but we all know who the real fighter is between the two.

Even if GSP were to go back in time' date=' and fight the same guys Hughes fought he would still not finish any of them. [/b'] I think GSP will surpass Hughes eventually, but we all know who the real fighter is between the two.

...GSP has finished some of them you fool.

Even if GSP were to go back in time' date=' and fight the same guys Hughes fought he would still not finish any of them. I think GSP will surpass Hughes eventually, but we all know who the [b']real fighter[/b] is between the two.

Lol you're a joke. And so is anyone who thinks George St. Pierre isnt a real fighter. The man fights in a cage for a living and is an 8 time world champion, and you are a guy on a message board saying he isnt a real fighter LOL

I thought the poll would be full of GSP nutthuggers saying GSP was better than Hughes but i guess there are some people on here with some kind of intelligence.

unfortunately you are not one of them.

GSP. I don't think you can say Hughes is better because he finished more fights. And I think GSP would have finished Shields if he didn't hurt his eye. Shields looked like garbage.

He was outstruck by Jake Shields. I am no expert' date=' but I would think that Jake Shields striking is considered to be pretty bad.[/quote']

He was not outstruck in round one and two when he had vision in both eyes. Without vision in his left eye( by far the most important eye of the two-orthadox stance) he was still able to land the more effective strikes of the match! (head kick/overhand right).

Take any other welterwieght and put him in that position and he gets finished, yet Shields still couldn't do ****.

Right now I consider Hughes the best WW champ ever but GSP has the talent to take that title. You can say that GSP's more well rounded but at the beginning people didn't train many different martial arts like they do now. The training and the fighters have both evolved. In 10 or 20 years there will be fighters that are more talented than any of the fighters right now just because they started training earlier in their life.

Right now I consider Hughes the best WW champ ever but GSP has the talent to take that title. You can say that GSP's more well rounded but at the beginning people didn't train many different martial arts like they do now. The training and the fighters have both evolved. In 10 or 20 years there will be fighters that are more talented than any of the fighters right now just because they started training earlier in their life.

Again I think this is a very important point. GSP is the prototype for MIXED martial arts. Thats what makes him the greatest WW champ.

Matt is a close second as a pioneer for the sport in general.

GSP right now wouldn't finish those same guys. The old up and coming exciting GSP would have. Face it GSP has earned his Safe nickname, and that is no way to fight. I would have defended GSP to a certain degree before, but after that piss poor performance against Shields I have lost a lot of respect for GSP. I still think GSP is a great role model for kids, and a hell of an athlete with potential to be a real finisher, but he just doesn't have the guts anymore. He should just retire if all he is going to do is put on unimpressive performances, and not move to a weight class where guys could actually beat him.

everyone gets on gsp for not finishing fights but it takes two to fight he is just so much better than all the rest of the welterweights but they dont do anything shields was a total bum in that fight. Nick diaz got beat by diego sanchez who st pierre would destroy so why fight nick diaz waste of time. andersen cant be number one pound for pound he was dominated by sonnen got lucky at the end and aldo was almost beat by hominick . Nobody for years has even came close to beating st pierre and he smashed hughesin 2 out of 3 fights. so in my opinion st pierre is alot better welterweight champion and number 1 pound for pound in mma. Manny is number one in boxing cause nobody has come close to beating him in years and his last 3 fights went to decision so give st pierre the credit he deserves cause the bums he has been fighting arent coming to fight just collecting a paycheck

everyone gets on gsp for not finishing fights but it takes two to fight he is just so much better than all the rest of the welterweights but they dont do anything shields was a total bum in that fight. Nick diaz got beat by diego sanchez who st pierre would destroy so why fight nick diaz waste of time. andersen cant be number one pound for pound he was dominated by sonnen got lucky at the end and aldo was almost beat by hominick . Nobody for years has even came close to beating st pierre and he smashed hughesin 2 out of 3 fights. so in my opinion st pierre is alot better welterweight champion and number 1 pound for pound in mma. Manny is number one in boxing cause nobody has come close to beating him in years and his last 3 fights went to decision so give st pierre the credit he deserves cause the bums he has been fighting arent coming to fight just collecting a paycheck

If GSP is so much better he should be able to finish every fight with ease, actually.. he could finish every fight, I've seen him hurt or get most of his opponents in position where any other champion would finish. GSP plays it safe and stops him from being the greatest.

I agree that GSP needs better competition to bring out what he is capable of. Anderson Silva has always demolished his opponents in devastating fashion. I believe there is no reason why GSP cannot do the same to his opponents.

I'm a little confused, why wasn't Matt Serra an option?

...Seriously though, GSP is the best WW of all time. KO and SUB wins over Hughes in title fights. Though he hasn't finished his last 4 opponents, he has dominated them. His wrestling is better than Hughes - both are great but GSP can take down and smother anyone. Hughes has a slight edge in submissions but then again GSP doesn't go for many. Lastly - Hughes isn't even close in the stand up.

GSP may bore some, but he's on a great streak and 22-2 overall. Hughes was great but never as completely dominant. When we thought he was unstoppable he'd run into Penn or GSP... At 170 no one can logically be expected to beat GSP

Who has gsp finished who was so great?

Sean sherk? Matt Serra? BJ Penn? Matt Hughes who is the only legit ww that he has finished, and hughes has finished him too.

Sean sherk? Matt Serra? BJ Penn? Matt Hughes who is the only legit ww that he has finished' date=' and hughes has finished him too.[/quote']

^^^^ :eek: nice argument pal.

Lets see.... If I remember correctly Hughes lay n prayed a UD over Sherk/ GSP annihalated him. Serra? Hughes could not finish,yet GSP did in just 2 rounds. Matt had BJ in the crucifix for what seemed like an eternity and barely hurt him. Had they let it go a little longer I bet BJ comes out fine after the bell.

Some finisher. Finisher of tomatoe cans LOL! :rolleyes:

I've seen this guys posts. He's a fa**ot troll. :D

^^^ Obviously Berserker or Gstruk using their alternate account to try and bait me into an altercation so they can snitch on me again like the little *****es they are.

Get a life girls.:rolleyes:

Sean sherk? Matt Serra? BJ Penn? Matt Hughes who is the only legit ww that he has finished' date=' and hughes has finished him too.[/quote']

...That exact same argument could be used against Hughes.

^^^ Obviously Berserker or Gstruk using their alternate account to try and bait me into an altercation so they can snitch on me again like the little *****es they are.

Get a life girls.:rolleyes:

reported :P j/k

Anyways, Hughes is the better champ imo

Again I think this is a very important point. GSP is the prototype for MIXED martial arts. Thats what makes him the greatest WW champ.

Matt is a close second as a pioneer for the sport in general.

What an Intelligent post.