I predict a slump in the UFC

Sisti

As it is with all things in entertainment, there are ups and downs. Wii sales were through the roof at one point, online poker kept getting bigger and bigger, etc. UFC rose to all-time high popularity so quickly that you have to expect that there'd be a plateau at some point. I predict that the UFC just hit a plateau or possible slide.

The reason I say this is because UFC 129 is now behind us and it didn't set up the juggernaut match of GSP/Silva. Everyone wanted to see GSP finish the fight and say he wanted Silva. We all know how the Middleweight and Welterweight divisions are gonna run in the next few years, and its getting quite predictable and boring

Also, we just lost the main event for UFC 130 and 131. Us MMA elitists and hardcore fans will still be following the cards, and possibly watching. But the big appeal of the UFC has always been the adrenaline and excitement leading up to the big fight. The UFC is missing this at the moment and is getting too predictable.

Until the UFC shakes things up or books a very intriguing matchup, I think the popularity of the UFC might have plateaued. What do you guys think?

As it is with all things in entertainment' date=' there are ups and downs. Wii sales were through the roof at one point, online poker kept getting bigger and bigger, etc. UFC rose to all-time high popularity so quickly that you have to expect that there'd be a plateau at some point. I predict that the UFC just hit a plateau or possible slide.

The reason I say this is because UFC 129 is now behind us and it didn't set up the juggernaut match of GSP/Silva. Everyone wanted to see GSP finish the fight and say he wanted Silva. We all know how the Middleweight and Welterweight divisions are gonna run in the next few years, and its getting quite predictable and boring

Also, we just lost the main event for UFC 130 and 131. Us MMA elitists and hardcore fans will still be following the cards, and possibly watching. But the big appeal of the UFC has always been the adrenaline and excitement leading up to the big fight. The UFC is missing this at the moment and is getting too predictable.

Until the UFC shakes things up or books a very intriguing matchup, I think the popularity of the UFC might have plateaued. What do you guys think?[/quote']

I think the UFC should close down.

I hope there will be a slump in the UFC' date=' that would force them to improve something. Like maybe they will reduce the prices or maybe they will give us the match ups we want.[/quote']

Yeah man, totally agree. The price is already kinda dumb at $55 every month. Nevermind we're not getting the fights that we've been wanting for a while, GSP/Silva, Brock/JDS, Aldo/Edgar, etc.

When you say "ban" do you mean something sexual - like a naughty spanking? If so' date=' I'd like to reiterate that the UFC should close down.[/quote']

LOL, no, just remembering how you totally conned that BCkelz guy that you were a mod, and said you'd ban him. I belly laughed.

JP24 favourite to become next moderator! Make it happen ;)

LOL No! I'd have to ban people' date=' and a lot of people hate mods! XD I like being a well respected member better, but thinks.

ill ban you and your small ***** you little portchmonkey

Small ***** and porchmonkey rarely go together. :P

LOL' date=' no, just remembering how you totally conned that BCkelz guy that you were a mod, and said you'd ban him. I belly laughed.

[/b']

LOL No! I'd have to ban people, and a lot of people hate mods! XD I like being a well respected member better, but thinks.

Small ***** and porchmonkey rarely go together. :P

i know he could not ban me i was just playing a long

Back to the OP, do u think that the UFC's popularity has plateaued? I think that a lot of us MMA fans still have interest in seeing what goes down in the next couple of UFCs but I don't see any new fans coming from it

As it is with all things in entertainment' date=' there are ups and downs. Wii sales were through the roof at one point, online poker kept getting bigger and bigger, etc. UFC rose to all-time high popularity so quickly that you have to expect that there'd be a plateau at some point. I predict that the UFC just hit a plateau or possible slide.

Until the UFC shakes things up or books a very intriguing matchup, I think the popularity of the UFC might have plateaued. What do you guys think?[/quote']

I was thinking the same thing, but for different reasons. The real old school MMA fans have moved on in life. I started watching in 1994, the year after it began.

I have 3 children now and I would like to watch a fight occasionally, but when I have to have friends over to afford a fight, it's not working out. My friends have kids too. All the kids are grumpy because they go to bed early.

The answer is end the MMA fights earlier. Early enough for people to talk about the finally instead of the next day.

wtf u talking about. it's not the first time that less exciting events are lined up and it doesn't mark a long term situation. UFC Rio incoming that's freagin huge. The UFC is still expanding throughout the world there's no reason for it to stop growing right now just because a couple of following events seem less interesting.

May be pretty soon the way their fight cards keep losing major bouts due to injuries and illness.

The more I think about it, the more I realize I don't really care if it becomes the most popular or biggest sport in the world.

I was a content fan back when it was banned in 48 states, they wore no gloves and had no weight classes. It wasn't the "cool" thing and every guy at the bar wasn't wearing fight brand t-shirts.

To me, the bigger this thing keeps getting, the more selling out of the sport it was takes place. I'm not really sure I want any more of that honestly.

No way!

MMA is growing every year and replacing traditional martial arts schools/classes. New gyms that are opening are no longer just kickboxing or Karate or kung fu, they are multi-art schools with classes for each discipline. These students will then become UFC fans who will then get their non-practising friends to watch with them and become fans too.

For the existing fanbase, the immediate draw is the new format of more 'stacked' fight cards (beginning with UFC 129 and then repeated with 130, 131, 132 etc), the absorbtion of WEC and subsequent new weight classes, the potential intro of 5 round non-title fights and finally the impending absortion of the Strikeforce roster which will create bigger divisions, more stacked cards and allow fans to see the cross-promotion fights that have been talked about for years.

The future is bright :-)

Maybe a few stalls and pings in the motor, but the UFC machine is just getting wound up. This is to be expected with any growing business. I see quite a few exciting events coming up, with some pretty intriguing match-ups. As long as the US economy stays somewhat stable, the UFC will keep plowing the field.

On a side note... I am predicting a huge market crash in the next few days/weeks. Investors are going to get clobbered and markets will tank.

Thanks.

I'll be here all week.

The UFC very well might start to stall out. As some guys are getting hurt or illness sidelines the main events we'll see several trickle effects.

Substitute fighters/matches may not be as exciting due to a lack of solid training and prep time. (I think it effected Shogun facing a very different fighter in Jones than Evans he was prepping for, Rampage vs Hamill got accelerated so that would've gummed up some of their training, and now Carwin has a short notice fight against and elite striker in JDS.)

Title pictures get thrown out of whack and will begin to irritate more dedicated fans. (Lightweight belt could be in limbo for a year with Edgar's bulging discs and Dana may not make an interim belt, when Brock comes back if he gets a top contender spot right away might slow a rising star such as Struve getting a chance. What if one of the injured champs rehabs then re-injures before fighting again?)

Fighters might move away from the UFC if SF manages to generate interest in their promotion while UFC main event matchups fizzle and fighters keep waiting for a title chance or want to be a champ but can't topple GSP or Silva.

(Let's be real, Dana has to let the LWs go after an interim belt or they could very well start flocking to SF. There's got to be desperate WWs and MWs who want to be champ before retiring and will go to SF to try getting it. If talent starts vacating the UFC in numbers, it'll be too late.

UFC is big, but it could fall like a house of cards if they don't manage some things properly. Another problem could be if SF adopts MMAS as a scoring system, is successful and popular with it, and if the UFC is slow to use it.

One of the major problems I think is UFC is trying to grow MMA as a sport, so they have increased the amount of events annually. The UFC also has about 350 fighters on contract and growing. So as a fan, you're presented with a lot of events and a lot of fighters without much time for a build. There are also so many fighters that it's difficult for fans to care about these new fighters. You are more willing to spend money when you have an "emotional investment" in a fighter. If you only have one favorite fighter, and that fighter only fights maybe twice a year, it's difficult to care about the rest of the events.

A lot of fighters don't distinguish themselves from the rest of the pack. They are content with letting there skills do the talking. Lets take Rory Macdonald for example. I don't think I have even heard this kid speak. Yet, he has looked amazing in his last few fights. He can afford to do some trash talking and get his name out there. The new fighters need to show some personality, I get this isn't WWE, but this is still entertainment.

I also agree that injury's are a HUGE problem right now for the UFC. The HW division isn't stacked, so even two major injuries to any of the top HW guys throws the entire division off for at least a year.

I hope there will be a slump in the UFC' date=' that would force them to improve something. Like maybe they will reduce the prices or maybe they will give us the match ups we want.[/quote']

we really do get the matchups we want.

I wished for a Herman vs J.O.E fight and I got it.

Edgar and Maynard werent going to bring in any new fans to buy ppvs because the public doesnt know them yet. Despite what us hardcore fans think the main stream does not know about their fight at 125 yet. They have a couple of more fights before they get realized. The normal fan knows more about Rampage and Hamill because they have been in the spotlight longer. Of course, Edgar had those two fights with Penn but besides that what would make the fans know him. Hamill has his own movie while Rampage starred in A-Team

Online Poker disappeared because the government shut them down. The Wii's sales decreased because a new and better product in Kinect came out. While competition is good for the consumer it is bad for the company. What is the UFC competing with besides Bellator WWE and Boxing?

May be pretty soon the way their fight cards keep losing major bouts due to injuries and illness.

The more I think about it' date=' the more I realize I don't really care if it becomes the most popular or biggest sport in the world.

I was a content fan back when it was banned in 48 states, they wore no gloves and had no weight classes. It wasn't the "cool" thing and every guy at the bar wasn't wearing fight brand t-shirts.

To me, the bigger this thing keeps getting, the more selling out of the sport it was takes place. I'm not really sure I want any more of that honestly.[/quote']

"I only like their first album."

You remind me of people I see on message boards that get upset when a band they like starts getting popular. Like its not just their little secret anymore. Its OK to share. I'm sure the fighters like the additional popularity and the larger paycheques it brings.