Reorganized weight classes

BillBurgess

I wish MMA could outgrow some of the leftover vestiges of boxing, such as their antiquated weight classes.

I'd like to see MMA adopt the following classes.

231 - unlimited (Super HeavyWeight)

201-230 - HeavyWeight

181-200

161-180

141-160

unlimited-140

I fully realize that the creation of a large HeavyWeight class would be controversial to those locked into traditional thinking. But free thinkers can see the advantages of it.

Today, the Heavy-Weight division is 206-265. Truly a massive class. And it creates totally unfair and unsportsman disadvantages for the lighter heavyweights like Randy Couture and the Nogeira brothers. Why should a 220 lb. fighter have to fight a 265 lb. man?

It is unfair. But we can lessen the unfair condition by creating a large 201-230 HW class. That way the bigger LHWs and the llighter HWs and could compete without disadvantage.

Some MMA fans here don't seem to realize it, but the UFC presently has 24 fighters under contract, from 206 to 265. That's right. 24 Heavyweight fighters.

Some of the lighter fighters, like Couture and Little Nog, dropped down to the Light-Heavyweight division, because they both evidently didn't see the logic of staying in a division that was coming to be dominated by 260 lb. behemoths like Lesnar and Carwin.

So, they did what felt natural. They decided on the imperfect strategy of cutting weight to compete with lighter guys. But that still leaves 22 heavy-weights still under contract at the 206-265 class.

Brock Lesnar, Cain Velasquez, Junior Dos Santos, Mirko Cro Cop, Gabriel Gonzago, Shane Carwin, Frank Mir, Roy Nelson, Cheick Kongo, Stefan Struve, Pat Barry, Heath Herring, Jon Madsen, Matt Mitrione, Brendan Schaub, Joey Beltran, Chris Tuchschherer, Mike Russow, Travis Brown, Sean McCorkle, Ben Ropthwell, Rob Broughton, Mark Hunt, Christian Morecraft, Chad Corvin, Dave Herman.

And of the above category, only Santos and Cro Cop would logically have a reason to try for my proposed 201 - 230 class.

One of my reasons for creating this class is to remove the need to cut weight, which I consider as destructive as steroids, over the long run. The body has a very good need for ALL of its fluids. To systematically dehydrate over many years is extremely stressful for the body and cannot lead to anything good.

Dehydration is not 'getting in better shape', as someone implied. It's abusive.

For the new 201-230 class, I propose: Randy Couture, Big Nog, Little Nog, Rampage Jackson, Forrest Griffin, Tito Ortiz, Mirko Cro Cop, Stephan Bonnar, Brandon Vera, Matt Hamill, Ryan Bader, Jon Jones, Rich Franklin, Rashad Evans. And this would make room for new UFC additions. I would hope Dana would invite Dan Henderson back, along with Andrei Arlovsky.

For anyone who fears this would unnecessarily weaken the 186-205 class, it would still have Shogun Rua, Lyoto Machida, Thiago Silva, and I would hope Dana would encourage Anderson Silva, Vitor Belfort, Wanderlei Silva to move up to this class, to remove the need to weight cut.

Plus it would have 28 other fighters currently under contract. Vladimir Matyushenko, Krzysztof Soszynski, Steve Cantwell, Tim Boetsch, Luiz Cane, Jason Brilz, Phil Davis, Kyle Kingsbury, Eliot Marshall, Igor Pokrajac, Alexander Gustafsson, Jared Hamman, Anthony Perosh, Cyrille Diabate, Ricardo Romero, Karlos Vemola, Fabio Maldonado, James Te Huna, Todd Brown, Tom Blackledge, Stanislav Nedkov.

The creation of this class might even encourage the frustratingly-elusive Fedore Emelianenko to consider signing with us. Although I doubt it.

Today, the UFC has under contract: 26 Heavywights, 36 Light Heavyweights, 44 Middleweights, 48 Welterweights, 57 Lightweights, 31 Featherweights, and 23 Bantamweights. Just in case anyone wasn't aware of how many fighters fight under the UFC colors.

i like how there organized now cept maybe cut heavy weight into 2 classes. 206 to 235 new heavyweight and the 236 to 265 for super heavyweight. Just to keep guys like couture and cro cop (225-230) from fightin monsters like lesnar and carwin (265) make things a lil fairer

I further would hope the UFC would exert some friendly persusion, in the form of incentives, for the following fighters to change their weight classes.

Anderson Silva, Vitor Belfort, Wanderlei Silva - from MW to LHW

GSP, Thiago Alves, Rumble Johnson - from WW to MW

Nate Marquardt - WW to MW

Joe Stevenson, Tyson Griffin - FW to LW

Coersion should not have to be necessary. Just offering the right financial incentives and the right fights should be enough.

If the UFC created an exciting new 201-230 lb. weight class, I would propose the following fighters to fight in it.

Randy Couture (If he comes back), Big Nog, Little Nog, Rampage Jackson, Forrest Griffin, Tito Ortiz, Mirko Cro Cop, Stephan Bonnar, Brandon Vera, Matt Hamill, Ryan Bader, Jon Jones, Anderson Silva, Vitor Belfort, Wanderlei Silva, Rich Franklin, Rashad Evans.

It would probably act like a magnet for Junior De Santos and Mirko Cro Cop.

And this would make room for new UFC additions. I would hope Dana would invite Dan Henderson back, along with Andrei Arlovsky.

For anyone who fears this would unnecessarily weaken the 181-200 class, it would still have Shogun Rua, Lyoto Machida, Thiago Silva.

If the UFC instituted this exciting new weight class, it would have 28 other fighters currently under contract to compete in an 181-200 lb. class:

Vladimir Matyushenko, Krzysztof Soszynski, Steve Cantwell, Tim Boetsch, Luiz Cane, Jason Brilz, Phil Davis, Kyle Kingsbury, Eliot Marshall, Igor Pokrajac, Alexander Gustafsson, Jared Hamman, Anthony Perosh, Cyrille Diabate, Ricardo Romero, Karlos Vemola, Fabio Maldonado, James Te Huna, Todd Brown, Tom Blackledge, Stanislav Nedkov.

Down the road into the future, this new weight class of 201-230 will become critical as the Strikeforce fighters are gradually absorbed into the UFC structure.

Guys like Overeem (262), Antonio 'Bigfoot' Silva (264), Brett Rogers (265), Josh Barnett (250), 'Mighty Mo (280), Tim Sylvia (270) and many others will continue to exert unfair weight advantages over their lighter HW peers.

We will have 2 classes competing in the same class.

The bigger guys should not have these unfair conditions.

Even now, in the UFC, the differences are spread out too broadly.

We had Couture, Big Nog, Cro Cop, De Santo having to face off against Lesnar, Carwin, Nelson, Mir. When the Strikeforce absorbsions are completed, the UFC will have Fabricio Werdum (238), Fedor Emelianenko (230), Andrei Arlovski (242).

If anyone can't see the obvious need of a larger 201-230 class, they aren't looking too hard.

The 206-265 class has driven all the smaller HWs into the LHW class, and that need to weight-cut puts them at a big disadvantage.

The suggestion to cut the HW class into 206-235 & 236-265 is basicly the same thing as I'm saying.

If nothing is done, this problem will only get worse, once the Strikeforce monsters unite with the UFC montsers, and have all the lighter HWs for lunch. It just wouldn't be a fair competitive contest. It will prove nothing and it will mean nothing.

Some MMA fans here don't seem to realize it' date=' but the UFC presently has 24 fighters under contract, from 206 to 265. That's right. 24 Heavyweight fighters.

Some of the lighter fighters, like Couture and Little Nog, dropped down to the Light-Heavyweight division, because they both evidently didn't see the logic of staying in a division that was coming to be dominated by 260 lb. behemoths like Lesnar and Carwin.

So, they did what felt natural. They decided on the imperfect strategy of cutting weight to compete with lighter guys. But that still leaves 22 heavy-weights still under contract at the 206-265 class.

Brock Lesnar, Cain Velasquez, Junior Dos Santos, Mirko Cro Cop, Gabriel Gonzago, Shane Carwin, Frank Mir, Roy Nelson, Cheick Kongo, Stefan Struve, Pat Barry, Heath Herring, Jon Madsen, Matt Mitrione, Brendan Schaub, Joey Beltran, Chris Tuchschherer, Mike Russow, Travis Brown, Sean McCorkle, Ben Ropthwell, Rob Broughton, Mark Hunt, Christian Morecraft, Chad Corvin, Dave Herman.

And of the above category, only Santos and Cro Cop would logically have a reason to try for my proposed 206 - 230 class.

One of my reasons for creating this class is to remove the need to cut weight, which I consider as destructive as steroids, over the long run. The body has a very good need for ALL of its fluids. To systematically dehydrate over many years is extremely stressful for the body and cannot lead to anything good.

Dehydration is not 'getting in better shape', as someone implied. It's abusive.

For the new 206-230 class, I propose: Randy Couture, Big Nog, Little Nog, Rampage Jackson, Forrest Griffin, Tito Ortiz, Mirko Cro Cop, Stephan Bonnar, Brandon Vera, Matt Hamill, Ryan Bader. And this would make room for new UFC additions. I would hope Dana would invite Dan Henderson back, along with Andrei Arlovsky.

For anyone who fears this would unnecessarily weaken the 186-205 class, it would still have Shogun Rua, Lyoto Machida, Rashad Evans, Jon Jones, [b']Thiago Silva[/b], Rich Franklin, Houston Alexander, and I would hope Dana would encourage Anderson Silva, Vitor Belfort, Wanderlei Silva to move up to this class, to remove the need to weight cut.

Plus it would have 28 other fighters currently under contract. Vladimir Matyushenko, Krzysztof Soszynski, Steve Cantwell, Tim Boetsch, Luiz Cane, Jason Brilz, Phil Davis, Kyle Kingsbury, Eliot Marshall, Igor Pokrajac, Alexander Gustafsson, Jared Hamman, Anthony Perosh, Cyrille Diabate, Ricardo Romero, Karlos Vemola, Fabio Maldonado, James Te Huna, Todd Brown, Tom Blackledge, Stanislav Nedkov.

The creation of this class might even encourage the frustratingly-elusive Fedore Emelianenko to consider signing with us. Although I doubt it.

Today, the UFC has under contract: 26 Heavywights, 36 Light Heavyweights, 44 Middleweights, 48 Welterweights, 57 Lightweights, 31 Featherweights, and 23 Bantamweights. Just in case anyone wasn't aware of how many fighters fight under the UFC colors.

Thiago has ehough trouble cutting to 205. He walks around at 230+.

I like the way it is but I think in the future this will be better as more and more over 265ers will be cutting to fight at HW.

It sounds nice in theory but I don't think there are enough good superheavyweight fighters to fill out that weight class. There are a lot of guys that would love to fight in a 200-235 weight class but I'm still not seeing enough talent in that top weight class. Plus I would leave the other weight classes alone.

It sounds nice in theory but I don't think there are enough good superheavyweight fighters to fill out that weight class. There are a lot of guys that would love to fight in a 200-235 weight class but I'm still not seeing enough talent in that top weight class. Plus I would leave the other weight classes alone.

If De Santos, Big Nog and Cro Cop moved down below 230, that would still leave 21 fighters in the present UFC HW class alone.

I predict that within 12 months time, the Strikeforce fighters will be under the UFC banner and add their HWs to the roster.

I assume that some of the present Strikeforce guys would opt to fight under 230, but that would leave a lot to unite with the UFC monsters.

My logic in revamping the old boxing classes is 2-fold.

1. Have fewer classes for simplicity sake.

2. Having a 20 lb. spread is simpler and based on the presumption that a man should be able to fairly fight a man both 10 lb. lighter and heavier than himself.

That's my logic. The present 15 lb. spread leads to too many classes. I favor fewer classes and simplicity.

Basicly, what I'm proposing is take the entire LHW class and expand it upwards to 230.

Put all the present UFC LHW class into a new label and expand its upward weight limit to 230 lbs.

If any present LHW fighter's natural weight were around 205, they could opt to fight under 200 lbs. But I bet most of them would not take that option. Most 205 guys walk around between 215 and 230 anyway, so they wouldn't need to cut down and dehydrate for fights.

They could fight at full strength and we'd see better fighters putting on better fights.

To those who don't see the need for this reform, if nothing is done, when the Strikeforce monsters combine with the UFC monsters, all the fighters who weigh around 230 will be forced into the LHW class.

Strikeforce presently has 17 HWs under contract. Seven weight over 250.

http://www.strikeforce.com/fighters/men-heavyweights/

This weight cut will weaken them unnecessarily and put the true LHWs at a competitive disadvantage. It will skew the even playing field.

Why wait? For what? The problem is coming our way so why not prepare for it with preventative preparations to level the playing field?

If no good options were available, that's one thing. But since there are, why wait? What are we waiting for? Solve it now and be done with it.

fighters are gona cut weight no matter what' date=' its fine the way it is[/quote']

To you it is because you aren't the professional being disadvantaged.

To Randy Couture or Little Nog, it might not be fine. I suggest that this situation was one of the reasons Randy moved back to LHW, which he really didn't want to do, and was probably one of the reasons he finally decided to retire.

If this reform had happened 10 years ago, guys like Randy, Nog, Ken Shamrock, Don Frye, Mark Coleman and many others might have had much better careers fighting in their natural weight classes.

fighters are gona cut weight no matter what' date=' its fine the way it is[/quote']

I hear you, but when I pay to watch two WW, I am paying for a contest between fighters based on skillset, not physiques able to cope with cutting better. For example, two absolutely evenly matched fighters, one larger than the other, then the weight difference will play a factor... I want to see a test of skills... but thats me.

To all the Old-School thinkers, just wait until the Strikeforce monsters arrive en mass. It will become obvious that something has to be done and it will just happen.

Mark my words. It will come. Simply because it has to. I'm just saying, get ready for it now.

if there was to be a super heavy weight class-who would be in it? lesnar, carwin, mir, roy nelson...anymore? cain would probably even move down to win the belt down there- theres not enough guys if they make a new weight class.

Leave everything as is. The only people having a problem with the bigger heavyweights are the old school fighters.

Going into the new era of MMA, fighters won't be caught at the 230lb range, they'll either be above it or below it. There's only so many fighters like that left, and they'll all be gone soon enough, so there's no need to revamp any of the weight classes.

if hw were STACKED' date=' like lightweight, i'd be all for a new 230lb weight class, but that's all we need, we don't need a complete restructure. as it is there's not enough fighters to make one weight class interesting above 205, let alone two[/quote']

This

There's always been one fundamental flaw in this idea' date=' and it's still the same today. The 230+ weight class would contain about 4 fighters. Everyone else could make the cut to 230.[/quote']

You sound like you speak for many. Many here on this board seem to feel that a large 200-230 lb. HW division would decimate a new super-heavy class. In order to dispel this belief, here are some fighters who would be left in an above 230 lb. class.

Brock Lesnar (265), Shane Carwin (265), Roy Nelson (265), Frank Mir (260), Rob Broughton (265), Travis Browne (255), Heath Herring (250), Mark Hunt (265), Matt Mitrione (265), Christian Morecraft (260), Ben Rothwell (265), Mike Russow (255), Cain Velasquez (240).

And when the Strikeforce HWs arrive, the UFC monsters will be joined by:

Overeem (262), Antonio 'Bigfoot' Silva (264), Brett Rogers (265), Josh Barnett (250), 'Mighty Mo (280), Tim Sylvia (270), Lavar Johnson (251), Daniel Cormier (249), Sergei Kharitonov (250), Bobby Lashley (265).

So, to those members who think the Super Heavys will only be Lesnar and Carwin, I respectfully supmit that after SF is folded in, a Super Heavy class will have 23 fighters who presently weigh over 250. When a fighter lists their weight at 265, we can be sure they had to cut weight to reach that level. So, they will not be dropping down anytime soon.

So, with 23 monsters, I hope you are starting to realize that it will not only be Lesnar and Carwin. Far from it. We will have a nicely-loaded, competitive class of super heavy-weights.

At the present moment, the UFC HW class is only 24 fighters and our BW class is only 23 fighters.

So, a combined UFC/Strikeforce Super Heavy-Weight class of 23 fighters will NOT BE ONLY LESNAR, CARWIN, OVEREEM & BIGFOOT.

We can assume that Strikeforce fighters Fabricio Werdum (238), Fedor Emelianenko (230), Andrei Arlovski (242) will drop to below 230.

We can also assume that some UFC HWs who are now over 230 will drop down to 230 to avoid the bigger guys.

Brendan Schaub (240), Stefan Struve (238), Pat Barry (235), Joey Beltran (240), Junior Dos Santos (238), Cheick Kongo (240).

But wait, there is still another consideration to consider. Why would Cain Velasquez WANT to drop down?? And De Santos might also want to prove himself at Super Heavy-Weight. If De Santos does end up beating Brock, where would be his incentive to drop down and beat up lighter fighters. Wouldn't the greater laurels and paydays be above 230 for him? Think about it.