LHW may very well be the most stacked division in MMA!

Shuberling

no babalu did'nt defend his belt

This

He never truly defended his belt under the Strikeforce promotion. He submitted Sokoudjou in a different promotion after he won the belt, but then he got brutally KTFO by Mousasi in his first title defense. The LW division is the most stacked division in MMA, hands down.

Forgive me' date=' I mean't Bobby Southworth has 1 title defence, not Sobral![/quote']

So the only thing supporting your case that the LHW division is the most stacked division in MMA is by listing a whole bunch of irrelevant facts about washed up has-beens in MMA? Just because the Strikeforce LHW title has been shifting around alot over the past few years, it doesn't mean that the LHW division is the most stacked division in MMA. You don't know what you're talking about.

Let me run down the past few champs in the Strikeforce LHW division: Bobby Southworth is a can, Babalu is a shell of his former self, Mousasi is a supremely talented, albeit unmotivated fighter who never does his best in training or in the cage, King Mo is still very green in MMA and he's relatively inexperienced, Cavalcante is pretty one-dimensional, and Henderson is really the only guy who is a proven champion. He's been ranked in the top 10 in the MW division and the LHW division for years.

There are good guys in the LHW division in the UFC, but there really hasn't been a dominant champion since Chuck Liddell. There are alot of good guys, but the LW division has way more talent: Edgar, Maynard, Melendez, Alvarez, Guida, Guillard, Henderson, Cerrone, Sherk, Dunham, Siver, Sotiropoulos, Do Bronx, Gomi, Jim Miller, Pearson, Barboza, Makdessi, and COUNTLESS upcoming prospects. All of those guys have a chance at taking the title.

So the only thing supporting your case that the LHW division is the most stacked division in MMA is by listing a whole bunch of irrelevant facts about washed up has-beens in MMA? Just because the Strikeforce LHW title has been shifting around alot over the past few years' date=' it doesn't mean that the LHW division is the most stacked division in MMA. You don't know what you're talking about.

Let me run down the past few champs in the Strikeforce LHW division: Bobby Southworth is a can, Babalu is a shell of his former self, Mousasi is a supremely talented, albeit unmotivated fighter who never does his best in training or in the cage, King Mo is still very green in MMA and he's relatively inexperienced, Cavalcante is pretty one-dimensional, and Henderson is really the only guy who is a proven champion. He's been ranked in the top 10 in the MW division and the LHW division for years.

There are good guys in the LHW division in the UFC, but there really hasn't been a dominant champion since Chuck Liddell. There are alot of good guys, but the LW division has way more talent: Edgar, Maynard, Melendez, Alvarez, Guida, Guillard, Henderson, Cerrone, Sherk, Dunham, Siver, Sotiropoulos, Do Bronx, Gomi, Jim Miller, Pearson, Barboza, Makdessi, and COUNTLESS upcoming prospects. All of those guys have a chance at taking the title.[/quote']

I agree with parts of your argument. I really think that the two weight classes are too close to call as far as competitveness. However, there is not a single fighter has been able to reign supreme as LHW champion. The title in MMA in general for LHW championshave constantly exchanged hands and most of the elite fighters are trading victories over one another. The LW division has found some, albeit not a lot, stability in the relative recent title run of Penn. I do think the LW division is the second most competitive.

LHW is not the most stacked. They have a very strong top 10, but after that the talent fizzles out.

LW is by far the most stacked division in MMA. In the UFC alone there is like 5 guys in line who deserve a title shot. The whole top 20 is full of future stars!

I agree with parts of your argument. I really think that the two weight classes are too close to call as far as competitveness. However' date=' there is not a single fighter has been able to reign supreme as LHW champion. The title in MMA in general for LHW championshave constantly exchanged hands and most of the elite fighters are trading victories over one another. The LW division has found some, albeit not a lot, stability in the relative recent title run of Penn. I do think the LW division is the second most competitive.[/quote']

It all comes down to this... There aren't many guys who, on paper, can beat Jones, no matter their organization. There are MANY guys who would be betting favorites or even strong favorites to take the title away from Edgar. LW is just simply a deeper weight class... It's a fact. There are over 50 LW fighters fighting in the UFC alone, and it's the largest weight class in the UFC. There are 20 guys outside of the UFC that I can name off the top of my head that would be great match-ups against Edgar. I can't say the same about the LHW division. Jones may rule that division for a long time. I read somewhere that if Jones were to fight A. Silva next, he would be the betting favorite against Anderson.

LHW is not the most stacked. They have a very strong top 10' date=' but after that the talent fizzles out. [/b']

LW is by far the most stacked division in MMA. In the UFC alone there is like 5 guys in line who deserve a title shot. The whole top 20 is full of future stars!

I'm going to separate this into two parts: the bold and the unbold. This is not at all an attack on your opinion - I agree with what I think you are trying to say - but on the vocabulary you use.

To me, stacked and depth are NOT synonyms. Yet many people on the forum here seem to treat them like they are. To me stacked means the highest top 10. Bar none the light heavyweight division has been the most competitive at it's highest level (key words) for the last five years. You have to go back to Chuck Liddell to find a champ who defended his belt more than once - and back to Rampage for the last champ who defended it convincingly. In that time, lightweight, welterweight, middleweight and heavyweight have had champions for a long time. Heck Edgar has (technically) defended/kept his belt in two title fights.

Now, I fully believe that lightweight is the deepest division in MMA. The UFC's lightweight division alone is a freaking shark tank - and both Melendez and Alverez belong there at this point. I also believe like you said that there are plenty of guys in the UFC who deserve a title shot - Maynard, Miller, Pettis - to name a few.

So to sum this up, since I know this is kind of confusing, I think that the hardest division to get to the top of is lightweight - this makes it the deepest. I think the hardest division to fight in once you're at the top is light heavyweight - this make it the most stacked.

It all comes down to this... There aren't many guys who' date=' on paper, can beat Jones, no matter their organization. There are MANY guys who would be betting favorites or even [b']strong[/b] favorites to take the title away from Edgar. LW is just simply a deeper weight class... It's a fact. There are over 50 LW fighters fighting in the UFC alone, and it's the largest weight class in the UFC. There are 20 guys outside of the UFC that I can name off the top of my head that would be great match-ups against Edgar. I can't say the same about the LHW division. Jones may rule that division for a long time. I read somewhere that if Jones were to fight A. Silva next, he would be the betting favorite against Anderson.

I agree. However, Jones hasn't been tested fully. If he was to drop the title in his first defence, I think he the division would seem even stronger. However, I don't think that will happen. If Jones wins two more fights, I will concede that the LW division is stronger. However, right now I think that LHW is the best by a very narrow margin over LW. There is no doubt that both of these divisions are really strong.

I'm going to separate this into two parts: the bold and the unbold. This is not at all an attack on your opinion - I agree with what I think you are trying to say - but on the vocabulary you use.

To me' date=' stacked and depth are NOT synonyms. Yet many people on the forum here seem to treat them like they are. To me stacked means the highest top 10. Bar none the light heavyweight division has been the most competitive [u']at it's highest level[/u] (key words) for the last five years. You have to go back to Chuck Liddell to find a champ who defended his belt more than once - and back to Rampage for the last champ who defended it convincingly. In that time, lightweight, welterweight, middleweight and heavyweight have had champions for a long time. Heck Edgar has (technically) defended/kept his belt in two title fights.

Now, I fully believe that lightweight is the deepest division in MMA. The UFC's lightweight division alone is a freaking shark tank - and both Melendez and Alverez belong there at this point. I also believe like you said that there are plenty of guys in the UFC who deserve a title shot - Maynard, Miller, Pettis - to name a few.

So to sum this up, since I know this is kind of confusing, I think that the hardest division to get to the top of is lightweight - this makes it the deepest. I think the hardest division to fight in once you're at the top is light heavyweight - this make it the most stacked.

That seems to be a fair and logical analysis.