Worst Possible Matchups

MachidaFanatic

Sometimes match-ups occur that make sense in ranking, but stylistically means one fighter is going to but massacred. The first that come to mind are Chael Sonnen vs Demian Maia. The fight made sense at the time, and still would actually, but if they fought 100 times, the result would pretty much be the same. Mir vs Carwin was another one. In my opinion Mir's standup is overrated, and while Carwin isn't the greatest striker in the world, I'd take dynamite in both hands over great jiujitsu with pathetic takedowns any day. 9 times out of 10, Mir fails at taking Carwin down and gets ko'd/tko'd.

So what are some match-ups that you could see meaning utter defeat for one fighter. A lot of people have been saying Machida vs Bader after Bader retires Ortiz. The fight makes sense in terms of rank, but does anyone give Bader a chance in this fight. A wrestler with neh striking fighting arguably the greatest striker in the lhw division with legendary tdd. Personally Machida vs Couture was a bad match-up too, and I'd expect a similar outcome, maybe not a crane kick, but a devastating knockout nonetheless.

I just posted that I think Jones vs Rampage would be a terrible match-up. Rampage is so predictable lately and Jones is anything but. Greg Jackson would have a field day with this fight. Rampage just brawls lately and doesn't throw any leg kicks, use his wrestling or mix things up in any way.

I just posted that I think Jones vs Rampage would be a terrible match-up. Rampage is so predictable lately and Jones is anything but. Greg Jackson would have a field day with this fight. Rampage just brawls lately and doesn't throw any leg kicks' date=' use his wrestling or mix things up in any way.[/quote']

I'd have to agree on this one. It's hard to say Rampage is ever out of a fight though. Rampage doesn't do well with rangy fighters either, and Jon Jones exactly that. Still I hope Rampage wins, no one wants to see Bones destroy Hamill again.

Sometimes match-ups occur that make sense in ranking' date=' but stylistically means one fighter is going to but massacred. The first that come to mind are Chael Sonnen vs Demian Maia. The fight made sense at the time, and still would actually, but if they fought 100 times, the result would pretty much be the same. Mir vs Carwin was another one. In my opinion Mir's standup is overrated, and while Carwin isn't the greatest striker in the world, I'd take dynamite in both hands over great jiujitsu with pathetic takedowns any day. 9 times out of 10, Mir fails at taking Carwin down and gets ko'd/tko'd.

So what are some match-ups that you could see meaning utter defeat for one fighter. A lot of people have been saying Machida vs Bader after Bader retires Ortiz. The fight makes sense in terms of rank, but does anyone give Bader a chance in this fight. A wrestler with neh striking fighting arguably the greatest striker in the lhw division with legendary tdd. Personally Machida vs Couture was a bad match-up too, and I'd expect a similar outcome, maybe not a crane kick, but a devastating knockout nonetheless.[/quote']

At first I thought you were saying Ortiz was the greatest striker in the LHW division. Luckily, I re-read it :D.