Greg Jackson: 'Three Days' Notice Is Not Reasonable'

RogerJones620

Dana doesn't operate his business in any less than months,so why should he expect others to operate in days.

Anyone fighter that bows to Dana is doing him a big favor,these guys do not owe the UFC anything,they are all underpaid and when prove a big draw they are still underpaid by standards of top athletes.

if your ready to fight dan henderson your ready to fight anyone in all reality the main difference between chael an hendo is hendos right hand and experiance, both are very good wrestlers but if jones is a great as he thinks then he should have been ok. Most other fighters would have taken this i have no doubt not because they are bowing down to Dana an the UFC but because its a amazing oppertunity to fight for the title even if you lose you would get massive respect as you just saved a UFC card from being cancelled.

I'm actually inclined to agree with just about everything Greg had to say.

He is a particularly intelligent guy, with a seemingly profound approach to life.

Irrespective of your overall views on where to place the blame for 151gate, you can't really have a sensible word to say against 99% of the points Greg made.

I was the first to think ill of Jones and Jackson in during the initial uproar, but now I have had time to compose my thoughts, I can't help but wonder why the question that Jones is to blame for the cancellation was even considered.

It is certainly a shame that the event was cancelled. That is irrefutable. However Jones cannot be expected to bear the weight of the whole card when considering the acceptance of a new opponent at such short notice. Had there of been an additional week to play with, then perhaps the opposite would be true.

Jones decision was cautious, but almost rightly so, given that he is the one person with the most to lose.

If the UFC wishes to place blame for the cancellation of the card, they should accept that it is their sole responsibility, as the organising compancy, to have a suitable replacement fighter prepared for any main event, or a suitable replacement fight for any main event, or an otherwise deep enough card to warrant the dropping of the doomed fight.

Some of these would of course be too tough to ensure, but only because the UFC now puts on so many shows that they could not expect top tier fighters to sit in reserve during main events (because they are busy preparing for an inevitable near-future fight); nor could they possibly maintain a schedule of highly-anticipated fights.

So to summise, Jon Jones can only be accused of being a conservative fighter, and cannot be blamed for the show cancellation.

In addition, Greg's track record shows that he is not a sport killer, even though I agree that the tactical decisions of at least three of his fighters have been to the detriment of my entertainment.

No way you read all that.

He is a particularly intelligent guy' date=' with a seemingly profound approach to life.

Irrespective of your overall views on where to place the blame for 151gate, you can't really have a sensible word to say against 99% of the points Greg made.

I was the first to think ill of Jones and Jackson in during the initial uproar, but now I have had time to compose my thoughts, I can't help but wonder why the question that Jones is to blame for the cancellation was even considered.

It is certainly a shame that the event was cancelled. That is irrefutable. However Jones cannot be expected to bear the weight of the whole card when considering the acceptance of a new opponent at such short notice. Had there of been an additional week to play with, then perhaps the opposite would be true.

Jones decision was cautious, but almost rightly so, given that he is the one person with the most to lose.

If the UFC wishes to place blame for the cancellation of the card, they should accept that it is their sole responsibility, as the organising compancy, to have a suitable replacement fighter prepared for any main event, or a suitable replacement fight for any main event, or an otherwise deep enough card to warrant the dropping of the doomed fight.

Some of these would of course be too tough to ensure, but only because the UFC now puts on so many shows that they could not expect top tier fighters to sit in reserve during main events (because they are busy preparing for an inevitable near-future fight); nor could they possibly maintain a schedule of highly-anticipated fights.

So to summise, Jon Jones can only be accused of being a conservative fighter, and cannot be blamed for the show cancellation.

In addition, Greg's track record shows that he is not a sport killer, even though I agree that the tactical decisions of at least three of his fighters have been to the detriment of my entertainment.

No way you read all that.[/quote']

I read all that and think you've made the most sense out of everyone so far. You will be flamed for not castrating Jones, however.

He is a particularly intelligent guy' date=' with a seemingly profound approach to life.

Sorry, but Greg Jackson made himself sound even moronic than before. Sonnen is basically the same person as Henderson except Chael was a middleweight moving up to LHW! There really didn't have to be any tweaking in Jones' training camp for a fight with Sonnen.

Please, Jon "Businessman" Jones turned down a fight with a guy who is 6 inches shorter, more than 20lbs lighter, has a 12 inch reach disadvantage, and did this knowing that he would screw all of the fighters on the under card out of a pay check. COWARD does not spell Champion. Greed & Business don't make a fighter. Greg Jackson effed up big time and needs to man up about it.

Sorry' date=' but Greg Jackson made himself sound even moronic than before. Sonnen is basically the same person as Henderson except Chael was a middleweight moving up to LHW! There really didn't have to be any tweaking in Jones' training camp for a fight with Sonnen.[/quote']

If you'd have listened carefully to what Jackson actually said in this interview, there were concerns that Sonnen had been aware of Hendo's situation for some three weeks, and that he may well have been preparing for Jon that whole time.

Now whether or not that claim holds water, it is not one that can be ignored.

Additionally, if you really think that Sonnen and Hendo are anything alike when it comes to being in the cage with them, you are foolish.

They may be friends who have always trained together, and they may even possess a considerable amount of similar skills, but they each employ those skills very differently during a fight.

The fact is that at the top level of competition, fighters have to be aware of much more than we are perhaps even able to comprehend.

Greg Jackson considers fights in such detail that he likely trains his fighters to respond in very specific ways to very specific triggers, which Hendo/Sonnen presumably don't share.

Especially given that Sonnen is a take-down machine, whereas Hendo looks much more often to clinch and land the one big shot.

I just think that it is easy to sit in your swivel-chair and judge Jones when in reality you have zero frame of reference.

I am sorry for attempting to introduce some sensibility to this troll-infested forum.

Thanks to the guys who appreciated my effort.

Please' date=' Jon "Businessman" Jones turned down a fight with a guy who is 6 inches shorter, more than 20lbs lighter, has a 12 inch reach disadvantage, and did this knowing that he would screw all of the fighters on the under card out of a pay check. COWARD does not spell Champion. Greed & Business don't make a fighter. Greg Jackson effed up big time and needs to man up about it.[/b']

this is what we should all be thinking its not about the fact its been cancelled its the reason its been cancelled.

Dana doesn't operate his business in any less than months' date='so why should he expect others to operate in days.

Anyone fighter that bows to Dana is doing him a big favor,these guys do not owe the UFC anything,they are all underpaid and when prove a big draw they are still underpaid by standards of top athletes.[/quote']

If I think my boss is a **** and I'm underpaid, I go find a new job. Plus, anyone with a Bentley and a Nike contract is not struggling for cash. And lastly, if Jones knows that fighters are underpaid, it would give him more reason to help out his peers and some of his fans who are truly underpaid. Being underpaid as a fighter is better than getting your event cancelled and getting nothing at all.

Three days notice was reasonable for 3 middleweights' date=' so why not the light heavyweight champ?

Greg lost my respect.[/quote']

You and I are on the same page, and I agree that itw as ********, but I think Greg Jackson would simply say: Those middle weights have nothing to lose, and everything to gain from that situation.

That much is true too.

There's no doubt that Greg Jackson is a very intelligent and well spoken individual. He did a great job articulating his viewpoints and defending his decisions, and this interview gave us a nice insight into how his camp runs and why he makes the decisions he does. He's also quite skilled at the art of persuasion, and his calm, laid-back demeanor is an asset when you compare it to the fire-breathing, short-tempered personality of Dana White.

However, it is every bit as important to read between the lines of Jackson's statements as it is to read between the lines of Dana White's rants. Jackson is smart not to play into the insult game like White loves to do, and it also lets him formulate what he wants to say and appear more rational when he finally does give an interview and respond to allegations and accusations. Still, he's stacking the deck in his favor the whole time, dismissing the critics of his (and Jon Jones') decision as simply being caught up in "the emotion" of the situation.

I believe Greg Jackson defended his position on "UFC 151-gate" (love that term, by the way) better than Dana White did, but I still feel that Jackson is wrong. His cerebral approach to fighting and business sense have led to him building one of the greatest MMA camps out there, but he also tends to be a bit myopic. The fight game is partially built on emotion and hype, and his calculated gameplans and fight decisions have had a detrimental effect on that aspect of the business. He seems to favor short term goals instead of long term ones, and his strength is also his weakness. This was a wonderful opportunity for Jones (with the support of his coach) to man-up and represent the UFC and his fight team. He dropped the ball, and despite how well Greg Jackson defended his position, they are on the losing side of the argument.

If you'd have listened carefully to what Jackson actually said in this interview' date=' there were concerns that Sonnen had been aware of Hendo's situation for some three weeks, and that he may well have been preparing for Jon that whole time.

Now whether or not that claim holds water, it is not one that can be ignored.

Additionally, if you [i']really[/i] think that Sonnen and Hendo are anything alike when it comes to being in the cage with them, you are foolish.

They may be friends who have always trained together, and they may even possess a considerable amount of similar skills, but they each employ those skills very differently during a fight.

The fact is that at the top level of competition, fighters have to be aware of much more than we are perhaps even able to comprehend.

Greg Jackson considers fights in such detail that he likely trains his fighters to respond in very specific ways to very specific triggers, which Hendo/Sonnen presumably don't share.

Especially given that Sonnen is a take-down machine, whereas Hendo looks much more often to clinch and land the one big shot.

I just think that it is easy to sit in your swivel-chair and judge Jones when in reality you have zero frame of reference.

I am sorry for attempting to introduce some sensibility to this troll-infested forum.

Thanks to the guys who appreciated my effort.

I heard everything Jackson said thank you very much. Furthermore, I do not believe I'm foolish for claiming that Sonnen and Hendo are BASICALLY the same meaning yes, they may have slightly different approaches to fighting, but they are still very similar. Both are good wrestlers and both box. So again, what would Jones need to tweak in his training camp in order to face a wrestler who boxes?

A difference between Sonnen and Henderson is that Sonnen puts more pressure on his opponents with his wrestling while Henderson prefers to stand and trade. But come now, I can't imagine that Jones should be afraid of a middleweights wrestling skills versus his.

So sorry, but Greg Jackson thoughts on the matter didn't save him on this issue. A lot of people share blame in the cancellation of UFC 151 there's no doubt about that. But for Greg Jackson to defend his actions by claiming that he and Jon need to meticulously analyze a fighter like Chael in order to fight him accordingly is a pathetic excuse.

There's no doubt that Greg Jackson is a very intelligent and well spoken individual. He did a great job articulating his viewpoints and defending his decisions' date=' and this interview gave us a nice insight into how his camp runs and why he makes the decisions he does. He's also quite skilled at the art of persuasion, and his calm, laid-back demeanor is an asset when you compare it to the fire-breathing, short-tempered personality of Dana White.

However, it is every bit as important to read between the lines of Jackson's statements as it is to read between the lines of Dana White's rants. Jackson is smart not to play into the insult game like White loves to do, and it also lets him formulate what he wants to say and appear more rational when he finally does give an interview and respond to allegations and accusations. Still, he's stacking the deck in his favor the whole time, dismissing the critics of his (and Jon Jones') decision as simply being caught up in "the emotion" of the situation.

I believe Greg Jackson defended his position on "UFC 151-gate" (love that term, by the way) better than Dana White did, but I still feel that Jackson is wrong. His cerebral approach to fighting and business sense have led to him building one of the greatest MMA camps out there, but he also tends to be a bit myopic. The fight game is partially built on emotion and hype, and his calculated gameplans and fight decisions have had a detrimental effect on that aspect of the business. [b']He seems to favor short term goals instead of long term ones, and his strength is also his weakness.[/b] This was a wonderful opportunity for Jones (with the support of his coach) to man-up and represent the UFC and his fight team. He dropped the ball, and despite how well Greg Jackson defended his position, they are on the losing side of the argument.

Good answer.. except in the bolded, doesn't he invest long term, making sure his fighters fight safe with minimal damage to have lasting careers as opposed to taking pointless damage. I don't think he really cares about the ufc, he will always be training fighters whether it be for the ufc or not, so to him the whole being entertaining might not be as important to him as teaching his fighters how to think and stay composed while taking the least amount of damage.

The guida fight was messed up though :D I still can't believe it.

I heard everything Jackson said thank you very much. Furthermore' date=' I do not believe I'm foolish for claiming that Sonnen and Hendo are BASICALLY the same meaning yes, they may have slightly different approaches to fighting, but they are still very similar. Both are good wrestlers and both box. So again, what would Jones need to tweak in his training camp in order to face a wrestler who boxes?[/quote']

There's a HUGE difference in fighting a guy who uses wrestling to keep the fight standing so he can use his one-punch power, and a guy who uses wrestling to take you down and g&p.

What you just said implies that Chuck Liddel and Tito Ortiz are basically the same because they're both good wrestlers and strikers. It's nowhere near true.

There's a HUGE difference in fighting a guy who uses wrestling to keep the fight standing so he can use his one-punch power' date=' and a guy who uses wrestling to take you down and g&p.

What you just said implies that Chuck Liddel and Tito Ortiz are basically the same because they're both good wrestlers and strikers. It's nowhere near true.[/quote']

Ok, you got me there. But I still do not believe that Jones had any reason to fear Sonnen. I believe the truth to be that Jones did not want to fight Chael because he didn't believe Chael deserved a title shot coming into the LHW division and after all the smack he talked leading up to the Anderson Silva fight. Jones said all of that himself. I understand and actually agreed with Jones on that, but when you have a whole card that is in jeopardy Jones should have taken the damn fight.

It doesn't matter now we only lose out on watching Chael gas and get badly beating in the first few rounds. Also Machida turned down the fight with more time to prepare so we shouldn't just be attacking Jones or Greg lets be fair.

I dont think jones would get so much heat if he turned down a fight he wasnt scheduled to fight.

Fact is he was schedule to fight a 151 , and he was prepared for it , and he also knew that if he didnt fight the whole card will be scrap , and he still did it .

Machidas decision not to fight is justified for 2 reasons

1 He wasnt scheduled to fight at 152 and if he doesnt fight the card doesnt get cancel , as a matter of fact the card was already set up without him or jones in the picture, so nobody is losing anything

2 Machida already lost to jones and a second lost means he will have to change divisions

Why on earth would machida take a fight he wasnt scheduled to fight , furthermore why would he risk loosing for a second time and having to change divisions for a card that never had his name on it and a card that would still happen if he wanst there.

People can say whatever they want , but jones was prepared to fight , he had a long training camp so technically chael should be the one complaining , not jones about time

It doesn't matter now we only lose out on watching Chael gas and get badly beating in the first few rounds. Also Machida turned down the fight with more time to prepare so we shouldn't just be attacking Jones or Greg lets be fair.

Machida didn't F up a whole event!

Am I missing something? 3 days? I thought it was 8 days and Jon Jones was properly trained and ready to fight on September 1st. Chael was just chillin' in West Lynn like the gangster he is...

Listen to the clip, it was basically 3 days because you don't do any training in the last week.

To those who said Jones won the title the same way, not really true at all. Jones found out he was replacing Evans after his fight on Feb 5. That title fight wasn't until March 19. So about a month and a half away. I'd say that's just a lil different than 8 days.

And again, listen to watch Jackson said. Dana never told them before their decision that he was going to cancel the event if they didn't take it. They thought it over, made their decision that they were not going to take the fight, and then Dana said they are going to cancel the event. So again, how is that really Jones' fault??

Listen to the clip' date=' [b']it was basically 3 days because you don't do any training in the last week. [/b]

To those who said Jones won the title the same way, not really true at all. Jones found out he was replacing Evans after his fight on Feb 5. That title fight wasn't until March 19. So about a month and a half away. I'd say that's just a lil different than 8 days.

And again, listen to watch Jackson said. Dana never told them before their decision that he was going to cancel the event if they didn't take it. They thought it over, made their decision that they were not going to take the fight, and then Dana said they are going to cancel the event. So again, how is that really Jones' fault??

I understand that but 3 days is ********. Guess how many days Chael would have had to prepare? ZERO... 8 days out and you are not training. The only thing Chael would have been able to do was media to promote the fight and cut weight. That's it.

Jon Jones and Greg Jackson are pathetic pieces of ****.

1) it was 8 days notice, their bsing the 3 for "media obligations"

2) jjones didnt have to take the fight but it shows what kind of mental strenght hes got and how much he beleives in himself, other actual fighters have stepped in on 8 days notice and even shorter, and if jjones had and if somehow he lost is there really a doubt in anyones mind he would of got a rematch? after all if he did dw a favor it would have been returned, hell gsp got an immediate rematch when he tapped to strikes against serra, bottom line wether jones should have or shouldnt have isnt wat is at stake it was his willingness to be a real fighter, show hes got heart, desire to be a champion and defend his belt, but he wont cuz without his meticulous game planning and jackson and winklejohn stroking his ego he knows hes mentally weak, and a child in the fight game. jones doesnt have true fighter instinct in the cage all he has is "strategy". hes a ***** no doubt about it

Brenneman vs Story?

^ These guys fought each other on less than 24 hours notice. Why you ask? To save a card that Marquardt nearly ruined.

If you want to argue "Well Jones is a champion" go ahead. That's even more ridiculous. He's been training for 10 to 12 weeks for Dan Henderson. Chael Sonnen hasn't been training at all. You're the champ take the fight against a middleweight and go in there and smash him.

As for Greg Jackson... how much faith do you have in your boy? Your enormous light heavyweight champion shouldn't fight an out of shape middleweight on 8 days notice in order to save a card?

There's no excuses. Hendo and Vitor both have the ability to knock his *** clean out with a single punch. With Chael you are not at risk of being knocked out on your feet.

1) it was 8 days notice' date=' their bsing the 3 for "media obligations"

2) jjones didnt have to take the fight but it shows what kind of mental strenght hes got and how much he beleives in himself, other actual fighters have stepped in on 8 days notice and even shorter, and if jjones had and if somehow he lost is there really a doubt in anyones mind he would of got a rematch? after all if he did dw a favor it would have been returned, hell [b']gsp got an immediate rematch when he tapped to strikes against serra[/b], bottom line wether jones should have or shouldnt have isnt wat is at stake it was his willingness to be a real fighter, show hes got heart, desire to be a champion and defend his belt, but he wont cuz without his meticulous game planning and jackson and winklejohn stroking his ego he knows hes mentally weak, and a child in the fight game. jones doesnt have true fighter instinct in the cage all he has is "strategy". hes a ***** no doubt about it

Pretty sure he fought Koscheck and filled in for Serra against Hughes before fighting Serra again.