Sign in to follow this  
Tiemo

PS3 or Xbox 360?

Hey all, I am very conflicted on this, I am planning on purchasing one of these 2 systems soon. Which one of them do you think would be the better buy?

Get the system that most of your friends have. They are basically the same for gameplay.

PS3 has a Blu Ray player but 360 has better online gaming with less problems.

I owned both but got rid of the PS3 because I never played it, the only reason is that I know like 3 people with PS3s but 15-20 with 360s.

I would say PS3

Free online' date=' internet browsing, blu-ray, PSN store, love film for rental's, Netflix, and the best exclusives around.

Im not slating XBOX however but i feel PS3's are superior.[/quote']

Netflix and movie rentals are on 360 as well. Also you can get a 360 and a good Blu Ray player for the price of a PS3.

I wouldn't let paying for online services sway my decision. You can get 12 month cards on ebay for $25-$35 and you don't have any of the server problems that PSN has. Also it is rumored that some PS3 games are going to switch to pay for play online.

If you play online a lot then what your friend's have would be my deciding factor.

I would say PS3

Free online' date=' internet browsing, blu-ray, PSN store, love film for rental's, Netflix, and the best exclusives around.

Im not slating XBOX however but i feel PS3's are superior.[/quote']

i say 360

online is only $50 A YEAR, and it is a lot better than PS3 online

PS3 really only has blu ray

PSN store=xbox live marketplace

Netflix is on 360

and 360 has some great exclusives too, we used to have the best (Mass Effect) but then it went to PS3 too :( :P

honestly, i got the 360 because my best friend had it, do what the guy above me said and get what most of your friends have

PS3 all the way, not a Geekbox 360.

Plus free network play, not 50 squid/bucks every year like the geekbox.

And they don't sound like a vacuum cleaner.

And there better looking.

Thanks so Much all for replying

are both equal in graphics?

Sorry if i sound like an idiot asking that but I don't know that much about console systems.

Thanks so Much all for replying

are both equal in graphics?

Sorry if i sound like an idiot asking that but I don't know that much about console systems.

i have both and there are no difference in graphics.

Get the system that most of your friends have. They are basically the same for gameplay.

PS3 has a Blu Ray player but 360 has better online gaming with less problems.

I owned both but got rid of the PS3 because I never played it' date=' the only reason is that I know like 3 people with PS3s but 15-20 with 360s.[/quote']

i prefer the ps3 but what this guy says. go with what your friends have. then you can play online with them.

It amazes how many people worry about paying $3 a month for XBL.

Do I think that you should have to? No.

Is it a big deal or would it affect my decision? No

You pay for what you get in this instance IMO.

A) this thread has been made a million times

B) owning all 3 major systems only the XBox gets used. The shelf life of the older models is questionable and they make alot of noise but the new 360s dont overheat, arent loud, and claim to last much longer.

I have had my PS3 for over a year and literally used it at most a half dozen times.. the 360 gets used every day. The 360 loads faster and handels faster for menues and the dashboard. I actually like the graphics on 360 better... the PS3 probobly has slighly better graphics in all but expect to spend alot of time messing with your Hertz settings and refresh rates on both it and your TV to get the same effect 360 has at default. (if you have a high DEF TV at least).

If you like uncharted or God of War series than Ps3 has the better exclusives but Xbox has Halo and Gears of War... which are BADASS IMO.

As far as durability goes I hate PS3 as I tend to break more controllers than I can afford. I have accidently broke 3 factory ps3 controllers at my buddies house and have been banned from using his controllers. I use the same wired 360 controller for about 8-9 months till it starts to act wonky from dropping too much then replace it.

The controller for 360 is also far more erganomic and the triggers work better. Add some FPS freaks and its golden.

Kinect > Move in potential although Move has the upper hand right now having ported shooters to the move.

ps3's online is free so over the course of its lifetime it will not only cut-down the price difference but actually save you some coin. The controllers also dont take batteries and i cant tell you how many of my friends with xboxs go on constant scavenger hunts for batteries that arnt dead. Ps3's also have blue ray players which i personally dont think to much about but when i went to rent the expendables the dvd copies were sold out but they had blu-ray so i gave myself a little **** yea for being able to watch it.

i got both, they are both good, both pretty much the same, xbox live is a lil better than ps3 online due to the fact u can do stuff like join a friends game but then ps3 is free online.

i do not see why you can not just appreciate both. this argument has gone on so long and its pretty pointless.

ps3's online is free so over the course of its lifetime it will not only cut-down the price difference but actually save you some coin. The controllers also dont take batteries and i cant tell you how many of my friends with xboxs go on constant scavenger hunts for batteries that arnt dead. Ps3's also have blue ray players which i personally dont think to much about but when i went to rent the expendables the dvd copies were sold out but they had blu-ray so i gave myself a little **** yea for being able to watch it.

PSN also has like no compitition for FPS games. a guy who can barlely pull a 1.00 KD on 360 would be a god on PSN. Playing Black ops on PSN is like playing combat training on amature. sure if you do 11-1 you might get killed if your playin reckless but in all its just pathetic. I literally quit at black ops from the boredom what was PSN online.

HC-CTF 1st Game 28-3 with 6 caps, 2nd game 15-0, 5 caps, 3rd game 25-1, 4 caps, 15 returns.

HC TDM: 25-0, 32-1, 45-3, all while run and gunning... its fun to dominate for a while but when there is a complete lack of skill I'de rather beat my meat watching midget ****

PSN also has like no compitition for FPS games. a guy who can barlely pull a 1.00 KD on 360 would be a god on PSN. Playing Black ops on PSN is like playing combat training on amature. sure if you do 11-1 you might get killed if your playin reckless but in all its just pathetic. I literally quit at black ops from the boredom what was PSN online.

HC-CTF 1st Game 28-3 with 6 caps' date=' 2nd game 15-0, 5 caps, 3rd game 25-1, 4 caps, 15 returns.

HC TDM: 25-0, 32-1, 45-3, all while run and gunning... its fun to dominate for a while but when there is a complete lack of skill I'de rather beat my meat watching midget ****[/quote']

lol okay, my brother had an xbox and he was easily getting 1.5 to 2.0 K/Ds per game where as hed be lucky to break even on psn. Both system have alot of ****** people on it, that is a horribkle argument. Plus i have a 2.3 k/d in cod4, 3.0 in WaW, 1.98 in MW2, and 2.14 in black ops. After about 3 games on xboxs excessivly large controller i can easily put up those numbers

lol okay' date=' my brother had an xbox and he was easily getting 1.5 to 2.0 K/Ds per game where as hed be lucky to break even on psn. Both system have alot of ****** people on it, that is a horribkle argument. Plus i have a [b']2.3 k/d[/b] in cod4, 3.0 in WaW, 1.98 in MW2, and 2.14 in black ops. After about 3 games on xboxs excessivly large controller i can easily put up those numbers

Whatever you say boss... You MLG or somthing cause most guys who are have trouble holding KDs above 2.00. Unless you're a Flack Jacket, Last Stand Pro, nube tuber those numbers are BS.

Whatever you say boss... You MLG or somthing cause most guys who are have trouble holding KDs above 2.00. Unless you're a Flack Jacket' date=' Last Stand Pro, nube tuber those numbers are BS.[/quote']

Well in WaW i could pull the trigger faster and was just an overall monster. In cod4 i sniped the majority of the time to avoid the frag-fest(i finished the headshot challenge before the kill challenge on the M21:)). Mw2 i had one account to actually play on and another to riot shield with(that account was lucky to have 1.00) and in black ops when i play its usually with a team who is very good, afterall its easy to get killstreaks when your teammates supplies you with blackbirds.

P.S. my number 1 weapon on black ops is the L96 followed by Dragonuv with the m14 coming in third. and hacker is by far the most important perk in the game.

Xbox release date - Nov 2002

Xbox 360 release date - Nov 2005

3 year life span. The PS2 was released years before Xbox and PS3 was released over a year after 360, so you can fit 2 generations of microsoft consoles within 1 generation of Sony.

360s shelf life was slated for 6 years originally. If you dont want to do the math, I can do it for you, we are on year 6.

How does Microsoft get around the terrible economy, and unstable market for another system, they throw out a half prepared beta tested equipment that 'looks cool' with the kinect, to give it that last boost to last until the economy picks up.

PS3 was slated for a 10-15 year cycle. Much like, but better than, the PS2. We are on year 5.

Look, im a huge gamer, and am not a fan of either console. What places at EA do is make a game for the PC, then port it to 360, then they port it to the PS3. And with the 360 being less powerful than the PS3, we get a crappy filter. But the market dictates what the dev team does, and thats the out dated, crappy hardware of the 360.

Go with a PC. just run a 5 dollar, 15' HDMI from your PC to your TV, calibrate a 360 controller to your PC and buy your games off Steam.

360= out dated and never reliable

PS3= afterthought on the market

But since PC wasnt a choice, the obvious answer to me is PS3. It still has 5+ years of expected life, 360 is already on borrowed time.

Hey all' date=' I am very conflicted on this, I am planning on purchasing one of these 2 systems soon. Which one of them do you think would be the better buy?[/quote']

I own both and i like both. The marketplace for xbox in my opinion is alot better though. Even chatting with friends is better with xbox. If you want blue-ray get ps3. Also ps3 is free online. Its either pay a little more and get ps3 with free online or get the cheaper xbox and pay every year for xbox live.

Xbox release date - Nov 2002

Xbox 360 release date - Nov 2005

3 year life span. The PS2 was released years before Xbox and PS3 was released over a year after 360' date=' so you can fit 2 generations of microsoft consoles within 1 generation of Sony.

360s shelf life was slated for 6 years originally. If you dont want to do the math, I can do it for you, we are on year 6.

How does Microsoft get around the terrible economy, and unstable market for another system, they throw out a half prepared beta tested equipment that 'looks cool' with the kinect, to give it that last boost to last until the economy picks up.

PS3 was slated for a 10-15 year cycle. Much like, but better than, the PS2. We are on year 5.

Look, im a huge gamer, and am not a fan of either console. What places at EA do is make a game for the PC, then port it to 360, then they port it to the PS3. And with the 360 being less powerful than the PS3, we get a crappy filter. But the market dictates what the dev team does, and thats the out dated, crappy hardware of the 360.

Go with a PC. just run a 5 dollar, 15' HDMI from your PC to your TV, calibrate a 360 controller to your PC and buy your games off Steam.

360= out dated and never reliable

PS3= afterthought on the market

But since PC wasnt a choice, the obvious answer to me is PS3. It still has 5+ years of expected life, 360 is already on borrowed time.[/quote']

360= out dated and never reliable=never has been down or hacked

PS3= afterthought on the market =thats why PSN was down because it is so reliable +lots of credit card numbers has been taken away

so result of all this is?

In my opinion though xbox games do look better. I have only needed to replace my xbox once because i was drunk and dropped the controller onto the tray while it was open. I had that xbox for 2 and a half years so i wouldn't say there totally un-reliable. I dont know how the new xbox is but my xbox elite is SUPER load. WAY loader then ps3.

360= out dated and never reliable=never has been down or hacked

PS3= afterthought on the market =thats why PSN was down because it is so reliable +lots of credit card numbers has been taken away

so result of all this is?

360 has been hacked before. and about everyone i know with a 360, 30+, only 2-3 havent needed a new one. Out of everyone I know with a PS3, 15+, only 2-3 needed fixes and nobody needing a new console entirely.

and im talking about the hardware, the xbl is much better than PSN. but, your paying for that quality. im not defending PSN, what the did was negligible and stupid, PSN is still down in Japan for christ sakes.

but id take PSN being down for 3-4 weeks once, then going through 3 xboxs, and 7 fixes.,(yes, thats my experience with microsoft consoles)

remember, im going PC. consoles are out of date the moment they are released.

360 has been hacked before. and about everyone i know with a 360' date=' 30+, only 2-3 havent needed a new one. Out of everyone I know with a PS3, 15+, only 2-3 needed fixes and nobody needing a new console entirely.

and im talking about the hardware, the xbl is much better than PSN. but, your paying for that quality. im not defending PSN, what the did was negligible and stupid, PSN is still down in Japan for christ sakes.

but id take PSN being down for 3-4 weeks once, then going through 3 xboxs, and 7 fixes.,(yes, thats my experience with microsoft consoles)

remember, im going PC. consoles are out of date the moment they are released.[/quote']

i have both consoles since the begin and trust me when i say, only PS3 has issues..+720p looks terrible in my 55 bravia.and u call ps3 as quality if they dont know how to do games in 1080p?but i respect ur opinion..perhaps next time bring some proof to back up ur theorys though

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMaOP-_wXQoHtELN-6YzeXbL_S7mqjpOkIIKMekF0kaEX6evjc

i have both consoles since the begin and trust me when i say' date=' only PS3 has issues..+720p looks terrible in my 55 bravia.and u call ps3 as quality if they dont know how to do games in 1080p?but i respect ur opinion..p[b']erhaps next time bring some proof to back up ur theorys though[/b]

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMaOP-_wXQoHtELN-6YzeXbL_S7mqjpOkIIKMekF0kaEX6evjc

i work in the game industry. what we did at EA was create games on a dev kit that was 360, because it was the simplest and the market called for it. But 3 years after the 360, and PS3 proved to finally be the big guns and engineers figured how to tap into its power, it didnt matter. The lowest common denominator was 360, and there was a pipeline, workflow, and market in place. Nobody wants to redo that next gen headache only to get a tiny bit more mileage out of it.

and what they do is make the game for the 360, and then just port it over to the ps3.

best way to say this is, if a PS3 is capable of 10/10, and the 360 8/10, well no matter what happens with your port from 360>PS3 (if its seamless port or not), all youll get out of a PS3 is a 8/10 at best. Basically youve optimized your textures, shaders, baked in your animation frames etc all to the 360 standard. You have a game dedicated to the limitations of the 360.

But usually with ports, they dont translate smoothly, so really, your conversion isnt 1 to 1, and on your PS3 your getting something like a 6/10. With bad frame rate because it wasnt tested or optimized until the last month of beta testing.

and now your starting to see dedicated PS3 developers pushing the PS3 well beyond what the 360 is capable of, not only because of disc space which allows for larger files(most audio), but the hardware just runs much faster.

It was almost like the PS3 is this crazy sports car, and nobody knew how to drive it properly and it kept crashing, while the 360 is a reliable mini van.

Now its starting to be tapped into, with pipelines and game engines working around PS3 instead of just being a 3rd party plug in. Things like Cryengine were only accessible to PS3 hardware only a year or so ago, UDK as well.

and with studios making games like MLB the show, or Naughty Dogs Uncharted, they are making their tech available to other dev teams at a cheap price, or SDK which is free altogether. Usually their tech and tools get built right into the 3rd party game engines.

PS3>360, theres no doubt about it. But 360 had such a huge start off the gate and their momentum has carried them a long way in the market, but no doubt about it, PS3 is a much more quality system.

Is that good enough for ya?

HC-CTF 1st Game 28-3 with 6 caps' date=' 2nd game 15-0, 5 caps, 3rd game 25-1, 4 caps, 15 returns.

HC TDM: 25-0, 32-1, 45-3, all while run and gunning... its fun to dominate for a while but when there is a complete lack of skill I'de rather beat my meat watching midget ****[/quote']

I have a higher K/D on Xbox than PS3 for Black Ops.

i work in the game industry. what we did at EA was create games on a dev kit that was 360' date=' because it was the simplest and the market called for it. But 3 years after the 360, and PS3 proved to finally be the big guns and engineers figured how to tap into its power, it didnt matter. The lowest common denominator was 360, and there was a pipeline, workflow, and market in place. Nobody wants to redo that next gen headache only to get a tiny bit more mileage out of it.

and what they do is make the game for the 360, and then just port it over to the ps3.

best way to say this is, if a PS3 is capable of 10/10, and the 360 8/10, well no matter what happens with your port from 360>PS3 (if its seamless port or not), all youll get out of a PS3 is a 8/10 at best. Basically youve optimized your textures, shaders, baked in your animation frames etc all to the 360 standard. You have a game dedicated to the limitations of the 360.

But usually with ports, they dont translate smoothly, so really, your conversion isnt 1 to 1, and on your PS3 your getting something like a 6/10. With bad frame rate because it wasnt tested or optimized until the last month of beta testing.

and now your starting to see dedicated PS3 developers pushing the PS3 well beyond what the 360 is capable of, not only because of disc space which allows for larger files(most audio), but the hardware just runs much faster.

It was almost like the PS3 is this crazy sports car, and nobody knew how to drive it properly and it kept crashing, while the 360 is a reliable mini van.

Now its starting to be tapped into, with pipelines and game engines working around PS3 instead of just being a 3rd party plug in. Things like Cryengine were only accessible to PS3 hardware only a year or so ago, UDK as well.

and with studios making games like MLB the show, or Naughty Dogs Uncharted, they are making their tech available to other dev teams at a cheap price, or SDK which is free altogether. Usually their tech and tools get built right into the 3rd party game engines.

PS3>360, theres no doubt about it. But 360 had such a huge start off the gate and their momentum has carried them a long way in the market, but no doubt about it, PS3 is a much more quality system.

Is that good enough for ya?[/quote']

nope..zero proofs what you are saying..and u fail on one thing too big time..when ya say studios rather do games and stuff for PS3..funny how many studios has been saying they rather do game for Xbox because it is easyer thing to do than PS3 games.and actual many studios has issues with PS3 on theyr games,like PS3 heats over number of games like "La Noire" was good example or "Fall out" and so on.then wakes up question..do u feel like playing if ya know ur PS3 overheats during the playing?so that CANNOT not be counted as quality system.

360 all the way, Gears of War 3 is coming out in september, u dont wana be stuck with a PS3 when it comes out

and Xbox live is 10x better than PSN.. u dont have to worry about it being down for a month or getting ur credit card info hacked.. and theres alot more ppl and better competition on XBL