Sign in to follow this  
nusa

Why so much hate for Frankie Edgar??

I'm constantly reading about how people dislike Edgar because of his stick & move tactics, No KO power , he's boring to watch etc etc

Honestly I cant see how, this guy comes to fight everytime, He's super aggressive & has some of the most explosive takedowns in the LW division and does not stop coming at you for 5 rounds... Not to mention he's one of the nicest guys in MMA if you watch some of his interviews..

He doesnt deserve the critism he gets, I love watching the guy fight..

Thoughts?

Frankie's one of my favorite lightweights, only Melvin Guillard is higher for me. I'll agree that his first fight with BJ wasn't the most exciting one he's had, but for the most part, I consider him an extremely entertaining fighter.

He's beaten a lot of notable fighters, and quite a few of them in incredible fashion. He basically kicked BJ Penn out of the lightweight division when he took his belt, and it was against Penn while he still considered to be absolutely unstoppable at lightweight. He's won fight of the night four different times, fight of the year once, and he might win fight of the year again if nothing manages to top his rematch against Maynard. Edgar's the man.

He's a natural Featherweight who could cut down to Bantamweight and he holds the Lightweight title with wins over a lot of HUGE names. He threw arguably the best wrestler in the division around and outstruck one of the most feared strikers in the division. He isn't powerful....he does have the ability to put guys away left and right but he's always exciting , technical and diverse.

He's easily top pound for pound , I'd bet a 100 bucks right now he'd beat Aldo at 145 or 155.

He's a natural Featherweight who could cut down to Bantamweight and he holds the Lightweight title with wins over a lot of HUGE names. He threw arguably the best wrestler in the division around and outstruck one of the most feared strikers in the division. He isn't powerful....he does have the ability to put guys away left and right but he's always exciting ' date=' technical and diverse.

He's easily top pound for pound, [b']I'd bet a 100 bucks right now he'd beat Aldo at 145 or 155.[/b]

I give Frankie credit, I think he's a hell of a fighter, but ouch...

For me I just dont like his style. He beat one of my favorite fighters and the best lw in the world when he beat Penn x2. I know the guy has a amazing amount of heart, thats not even a question. The guy is a monster when it comes to cardio. I dont like him because I feel like he does the shadowbox/dance with the stars method to get wins. Before people flame me for being a Penn fan and saying I am just hating on him, Im not. He beat Penn fair and square twice. I just dont like his style

For me I just dont like his style. He beat one of my favorite fighters and the best lw in the world when he beat Penn x2. I know the guy has a amazing amount of heart' date=' thats not even a question. The guy is a monster when it comes to cardio. I dont like him because I feel like he does the shadowbox/dance with the stars method to get wins. Before people flame me for being a Penn fan and saying I am just hating on him, Im not. He beat Penn fair and square twice. I just dont like his style[/quote']

I agree with this guy for the most part , it's underwhelming to know Frankie can land combo's and huge punches and not even rock his opponents most of the time. When he takes you down he hardly ever gets the decision , but this is because he's a small Featherweight sitting on the throne of the Lightweight division.

So Frankie has finished 5 guys

In the UFC, he decisioned guys who were hard to stop. Let's see who had in fact finished them...

Gray Maynard.....Undefeated

BJ Penn (twice)...finished by high ranked welterweights Matt Hughes and GSP

Sean Sherk.........finished by GSP and BJ Penn (at welterweight)

Hermes Franca....finished by Tyson Griffin (who Edgar had beaten)

Spencer Fisher....finished by Hermes Franca and Joe Stevenson

Tyson Griffin........finished by Takanori Gomi for the first time ever (this happened after he fought Edgar)

and though not in the UFC, he defeated Jim Miller by UD.....and still, Miller has never been stopped.

So take into consideration the quality of opponents Edgar has faced.

He is fun to watch depending on his opponent. Sometimes there will be constant action and other times it will be dull as ****.

i like Edgar so far proving with determination and hard work you do not have to cut to the lowest weight you can to have a size/power advantage to win a fight.

I gained respect for Frankie when he fought for a draw against Gray' date=' when Gray absolutely destroyed him in the first round --

That man has heart.[/quote']

This.

I just wanted Gray to lose so badly otherwise it would have been another LnP Champion. Was so pumped to see Frankie recover from the first round and win every round after that..

was stupid how Gray thought he won a few rounds because he scored a takedown in them and did absolutely nothing with them.

I think people like him are great for the UFC and great for MMA. He's a nice person and an exciting fighter. I've never watched a Frankie Edgar fight and left disappointed.

He has nothing on Pierre in the boredom stakes though...

I disagree. People hate Edgar because he completely lacks the ability to finish a fighter. People hate GSP because he has the ability to finish his opponents and hasn't been doing so for a while.

While Edgar did beat Penn twice and managed to pull a draw out of his hat against Maynard, I can't stand that he hasn't faced a truely skilled and motivated LW for the belt yet. Maynard is a decision machine just like Edgar and his inability to finish Edgar in the first round puts him right next to Edgar on the lame list imo.

And yeah, Edgar beat Penn twice but it's pretty clear "The Prodigy" has given up on trying to use all his skills to win and hunts for the big KO. He wasn't motivated to try hard against Edgar the first time and utterly failed to get motivated by a loss to do any better or different a second time.

Just toss Edgar in with Miller, Bendo, Guida, or Guillard and give us a LW champ that's going to go out to win, not just survive on points.

I admire his heart and technique but i just have never thought and will never believe he is best LW in the ufc. i just think he had great timing in getting his fight with bj. I dont believe Edgar could beat guys like Pettis, Guida, Jim miller, etc. idk just the feeling i have always had. Same with maynard he just hasnt gotten me to believe he has the making of greatness within.

I absolutly love Frankie Edgar for the simple fact i bet on him beating BJ the first time and me winning ?120.

He deserved to beat BJ twice and got a deserved draw against Maynard and i expect him to defeat Gray in the rematch.

After the rematch i hope we see Edgar vs Melendez!!

I admire his heart and technique but i just have never thought and will never believe he is best LW in the ufc. i just think he had great timing in getting his fight with bj. I dont believe Edgar could beat guys like Pettis' date=' Guida, [b']Jim miller[/b], etc. idk just the feeling i have always had. Same with maynard he just hasnt gotten me to believe he has the making of greatness within.

You lost your credibility here.

Also.. Pettis was beaten by Guida, who was finished by Florian, who was finished by Penn, who was defeated twice by Frankie Edgar. I know MMA math doesn't really work, but still.

Frankie's striking is leaps and bounds ahead of Guida's. He also has the wrestling and the cardio to handle his pace and keep it standing.

You lost your credibility here.

Also.. Pettis was beaten by Guida' date=' who was finished by Florian, who was finished by Penn, who was defeated twice by Frankie Edgar. I know MMA math doesn't really work, but still.

Frankie's striking is leaps and bounds ahead of Guida's. He also has the wrestling and the cardio to handle his pace and keep it standing.[/quote']

oh cmon MMA math again lol noooooooooo.

I just dont see Edgard beating any of those guys. Guida would win on takedowns and aggression, Edgar is too complacent in his fighting and i think that would be his downfall against Guida. Guida can takedown any LW. Just my thoughts but i think frankie has had quite the easy road to the title. iF maynard had any power or finishing capability then edgar wouldnt even be talked about but hes just like frankie. no ability to finish

I admire his heart and technique but i just have never thought and will never believe he is best LW in the ufc. i just think he had great timing in getting his fight with bj. I dont believe Edgar could beat guys like Pettis' date=' Guida, Jim miller, etc. idk just the feeling i have always had. Same with maynard he just hasnt gotten me to believe he has the making of greatness within.[/quote']

Dude Guida is overated and would not beat Frankie, Frankie has heaps better stand up and his wrestling is also alot better then Guidas. Guidas conditioning is his best aspect, but frankies is on par. I cant see where u think Guida could win? If maynard couldnt hold down frankie then Guida would have no chance.

I disagree. People hate Edgar because he completely lacks the ability to finish a fighter. People hate GSP because he has the ability to finish his opponents and hasn't been doing so for a while.

While Edgar did beat Penn twice and managed to pull a draw out of his hat against Maynard' date=' [b']I can't stand that he hasn't faced a truely skilled and motivated LW for the belt yet[/b]. Maynard is a decision machine just like Edgar and his inability to finish Edgar in the first round puts him right next to Edgar on the lame list imo.

And yeah, Edgar beat Penn twice but it's pretty clear "The Prodigy" has given up on trying to use all his skills to win and hunts for the big KO. He wasn't motivated to try hard against Edgar the first time and utterly failed to get motivated by a loss to do any better or different a second time.

Just toss Edgar in with Miller, Bendo, Guida, or Guillard and give us a LW champ that's going to go out to win, not just survive on points.

Oh, come on... Gray Maynard and BJ Penn aren't good enough? Either of those two fighters would beat Miller, Bendo, Guida, and have an at least decent chance against Guillard. BJ Penn was motivated the first time he fought Edgar, he did really well, Edgar just beat him. And Gray Maynard was pretty damn motivated, and even though he has a bad finishing record, it's hard to call him a decision machine when talking about fighting Edgar since he put THAT much effort into knocking him out in round one. This is just nothing but hatin'.

For me, I refuse to get behind anyone that you can see count "points" as they fight. .Seriously, watch him fight and you can almost see him break it down.

"Ok, I've landed some combos and punched really fast at the air around him so thats good, I'll score a take down, do absolutely nothing with it and that should give me the round."

You know when you watch Machida and you see him feel out the range and timing, get his footwork lined up, etc? That tension that builds where you can feel him start to wind up and get ready to bring the offense? Theres no tension with Frankie, its just math. Its the closest thing you can get to watching an excel sheet "fight" a dude in the ring.

Underrated people give him too much slack also he is a natural FW who is the LW Champ who beat BJ Penn twice

I gave Penn the first fight but yeah edgar "won" the fight in the judges eyes.

Its the closest thing you can get to watching an excel sheet "fight" a dude in the ring.

I genuinely lol'd at that. :)

Oh' date=' come on... Gray Maynard and BJ Penn aren't good enough? Either of those two fighters would beat Miller, Bendo, Guida, and have an at least decent chance against Guillard. BJ Penn was motivated the first time he fought Edgar, he did really well, Edgar just beat him. And Gray Maynard was pretty damn motivated, and even though he has a bad finishing record, it's hard to call him a decision machine when talking about fighting Edgar since he put THAT much effort into knocking him out in round one. This is just nothing but hatin'.[/quote']

No, Maynard and Penn are not skilled and motivated enough imo in either instance they fought Edgar to be really convince me Edgar is as good as people think.

I will give Edgar credit for surviving round 1 against Maynard...but will also point out Maynard clearly didn't pay attention to the lesson displayed in Lesnar vs. Carwin. There's a point you should recognize you're blowing so much energy and NOT getting the stoppage that you should back it off to save energy.

Maynard DOES NOT deserve a second chance because he beat himself that night and wasted a great opportunity. Give it to a hungry fighter with skills to finish!

Penn wasn't motivated against Edgar. He went in looking for his hands to get the easy win and just kept at that ineffectively. Where was the grappling Penn is so celebrated for? The rematch was even more disgraceful and you could seen from Penn's attitude in interviews leading up that he felt he won the first matchup and wasn't truely motivated to go out and take the belt back.

Miller has shown some huge drive lately, dominating people on the ground and going after the win by sub or strikes. He really cemented his championship-ready status with the KO win over unbeaten Shalorus.

Guillard has always had power, and he really looks on track compared to times past. If his opponent can't take him down or wants to strike, it'll be a bad night for them.

Bendo continues to show himself as a very well rounded fighter that could push anyone hard and go after a weakness in their game.

Guida has been an absolutely stifling straightjacket and would smother Edgar far better than Maynard did. Add in Jackson's top-not training and a noticibly improved ground game in his submission wins, he is a force to be reckoned with by anyone.

These guys fight with a killer edge that Edgar and Maynard have never shown, and that Penn at times leaves at home.

Frankie Edgar is a true champion, whether he has the belt to show for it or not. The kid has heart, he is a fighter he proved doubters wrong 2 times. He will beat Maynard, in the second round.

No' date=' Maynard and Penn are not skilled and motivated enough imo in either instance they fought Edgar to be really convince me Edgar is as good as people think.

I will give Edgar credit for surviving round 1 against Maynard...but will also point out Maynard clearly didn't pay attention to the lesson displayed in Lesnar vs. Carwin. There's a point you should recognize you're blowing so much energy and NOT getting the stoppage that you should back it off to save energy..[/quote']

BJ is called one of the most skillful fighters in the history of the sport, he has motivation problems, but his skill has never been in question.

Maynard is also a skilled fighter, good boxing and great wrestling and has beaten solid competition. Mayard dropped Edgar 5 times in the first round and expended about the same amount of enery as most fighters do in a 5 rounds, then went on to fight pretty comfortably for the next 20 minutes, tired but still very compeitive. Carwin gassed himself out so he couldn't even stand, Maynard had the conditioning to keep going.

Maynard DOES NOT deserve a second chance because he beat himself that night and wasted a great opportunity. Give it to a hungry fighter with skills to finish!

Penn wasn't motivated against Edgar. He went in looking for his hands to get the easy win and just kept at that ineffectively. Where was the grappling Penn is so celebrated for? The rematch was even more disgraceful and you could seen from Penn's attitude in interviews leading up that he felt he won the first matchup and wasn't truely motivated to go out and take the belt back.

Miller has shown some huge drive lately, dominating people on the ground and going after the win by sub or strikes. He really cemented his championship-ready status with the KO win over unbeaten Shalorus.

Guillard has always had power, and he really looks on track compared to times past. If his opponent can't take him down or wants to strike, it'll be a bad night for them.

Bendo continues to show himself as a very well rounded fighter that could push anyone hard and go after a weakness in their game.

Guida has been an absolutely stifling straightjacket and would smother Edgar far better than Maynard did. Add in Jackson's top-not training and a noticibly improved ground game in his submission wins, he is a force to be reckoned with by anyone.

These guys fight with a killer edge that Edgar and Maynard have never shown, and that Penn at times leaves at home

Maynard does deserve another shot for the simple fact that the champ is 0-1-1 against him. The champ is meant to be the best in the division, you can't call him that if he hasn't been able to beat a top contender with two attempts.

You also say that Edgar hasn't faced skillful fighters and name Miller as someone who he should face. Yet he has already fought Miller and beaten him, so has Maynard.

You also mention Guida, who is basically a gatekeeper. Guida is a reletively average fighter who relies on being on top to win him fights. His striking is jerky and not very technical, his submission game is decent and his wrestling is good. But he has almost always flopped against decent competition. Pettis, who was reletively untested is the only top fighter who Guida has beaten. Guida has never came close to finishing a top contender.

Bendo, like the other WEC fighters is still reletively untested. Bendo, Cerrone and Pettis turned out to be big fish in a little pond.

Let me clarify.

I said fighter with skill and motivation. Penn certainly has great skills, but from what I saw in his matches with Edgar did not have the motivation to really push Edgar hard and try to win. I would argue that while Maynard is a relatively skilled fighter, he lacks enough skill with his grappling to finish someone, and clearly doesn't have enough KO in his hands to really consider him as threatening as other LWs.

As for the fighters I mentioned, Miller and Edgar fought before either of them entered the UFC, five years ago!

Guida has been stepping up from gatekeeper and is proving a better contender now, probably from being at one of the best gyms in MMA.

Hendo is far from untested. Generally, WEC fighters are winning more in their debuts than the UFC guy they're put against. Henderson has been fighting some top quality guys for the past couple years and nobody can make him look bad so far, and only Pettis came close in that narrow decision.

Any of these guys would take the belt from Edgar.