Mad about Rich Franklin not having a fight? Rich Franklin turned down a fight...

OutCast217

http://www.mmamania.com/2011/7/22/2288522/ufc-133-rich-franklin-turned-down-a-fight-against-alexander-gustafsson

When Rich Franklin was taken off the UFC 133 fight card, it was widely believed the promotion was unable to find him a suitable replacement for the injured Antonio Rogerio Nogueira on the Aug. 6 pay-per-view (PPV) in Philadelphia.

Turns out he had a suitable replacement, he just didn't want to fight him, because he wasn't a "top name guy."

Ready to step in was Alexander Gustafsson, the 24-year-old prospect out of Alliance and Gladius MMA who's lost just once in his budding professional career. That defeat came at the hands of fellow rising contender Phil Davis back at UFC 112 in Abu Dhabi, a second round submission (anaconda choke).

"The Mauler" is widely considered one of the division's most dangerous up-and-comers and when it came down to risk vs. reward, Franklin said "Thanks, but no thanks."

MMA Fighting has more:

Star-divide

"It's not that we decided to take him off the (UFC 133) card, we were looking at other opponents and we had [one], but Rich didn't want to take that fight," according to UFC President Dana White. "He said 'You know what man, I'm at a stage in my career where I only want to fight the top of the heap, the top name guys.' I don't blame him. You know me, when we're looking to make a new fight and we have people available and an opponent there, I expect that you should take that opponent, but I don't disagree with Rich's position on it. It was Gustafsson. He's like 'Listen man, I've been around forever, I've been a world champion, I'm switching the fight this soon, I want to fight one of the top guys.' He wants to get back in position to take on some of the top competition in the UFC.

So I totally changed my mind about Rich Franklin... how garbage

^^^This! I think Franklin just made that excuse because he would rather LOSE to top fighters' date=' than risk losing to one of the rising prospects... he wants to keep his reputation..[/quote']

It's a shame because I really like Franklin. He knows he's never gonna be a contender again. He's still gonna get paid, so what's the problem Rich?

Just a BIG CHICKEN.

It's a shame because I really like Franklin. He knows he's never gonna be a contender again. He's still gonna get paid' date=' so what's the problem Rich?

Just a BIG CHICKEN.[/quote']

I know I was a fan of rich franklin ever since he was the first to KO Ken Shamrock... I expected him to beat Forrest Griffin I was dissapointed with that loss... but this... just kills it, he'd rather face Lil Nog? thats lost twice in a row? is that really going to make him more legit because hes a "big name" whats better... a big name thats lost twice, or a rising prospect thats been impressive lately, to me stopping a rising prospect would be more creditable..

Rich's getting up there, he's gotta look out for #1.

It sucks that he decided to bail, but he probably doesn't want to take the risk of losing to be the "stepping stone" of Gustafsson. He wants to be as relevant for as long as possible. At this point in his career, he's probably looking for financial security. I understand him not wanting to take the risk.

Meh i could have seen that coming a mile away he is basically at the part of his career where Randy was 2 years ago only wants the fights that interest him.

Big fan but i would not mind seeing him fight someone up and coming rather than just the big dogs.

I mean Shamrock was good enough to accept a fight with Franklin when he was an exciting up and comer while Shamrock was still not quite dog ****.

Franklin should have sucked it up and fought.

but i suppose you have to look out for number 1 but i can;t say he wont be in the dog house with Dana for a while.

That fight would have nothing for Franklin's career. It was smart to turn it down. If he won-so what? If he lost- he's through.

If he won, he would of stifled the rise of one of the best prospects in the LHW division. It's just that Gustafsson isn't too hyped, and the casual fan doesn't really acknowledge him.

The thing is, this is silly from Franklin because he needs to realise that if he keeps losing to these "top guys" that he always wants to fight then he will become very irrelevant. He just got pretty handily beaten by Forrest so right now he needs to worry about getting a win and getting back on track instead of fighting a top guy. He doesn't deserve a top contender match right now. He should of taken the fight.

The words of Dana white come into my mind here and they are " do you wanna be a f*cking fighter" what happened to guys who were ready to get in the cage and brawl. i thought Franklin was one of them. While there are still guys out there who are alot are worried about there future reps. The young guys usually seem the keenest to prove themselves and some of the older guys are more worried about what legacy they will leave

Well in my opinion its a case where you use it before you lose it with Rich Franklin, if he felt it wasn't a worthy fight for him then he shouldn't have a problem beating him, and then get a fight shortly after (if hes so much better than him like he thinks) he should come out flawless with a victory... at this point he should get as many fights as he can, the more he waits the more chances hes not going to win, RUST, is what he builds instead, its like Tito... he just came off a victory now hes going to fight, hes got the advantage over Rashad in that aspect

Franklin knows he would have gotten Mauled. But that's no excuse' date=' it's a shame they won't cut him for this. They shouldn't keep a guy like that around. Hope the next guy beats the crap out of him, pathetic.[/quote']

and hes a math teacher, he should know NOT taking fights does not ADD UP, infact, hes just losing more time of staying relevant in this sport AND MONEY, how can he beat a top fighter if he doesn't fight and just waits while getting rusty?

Franklin knows he would have gotten Mauled. But that's no excuse' date=' it's a shame they won't cut him for this. They shouldn't keep a guy like that around. Hope the next guy beats the crap out of him, pathetic.[/quote']

So because he turned a fight down they should get rid of him? :rolleyes:

He has done a lot for the UFC, helped them out and is an amazing fighter nearing retirement, he doesn't have to take a fight with a prospect on shorter notice. Smarter business sense for him.

Quite a few fighters pick and choose their fights and turn down fights for their own reasons. E.g. Couture not wanting anyone apart from Machida or Shogun, Fedor's camp coming up with reasons why they wouldn't fight Overeem and McCorkle flat out saying that he would turn down a fight in which he didn't match up well against his opponent lol.

So because he turned a fight down they should get rid of him? :rolleyes:

He has done a lot for the UFC' date=' helped them out and is an amazing fighter nearing retirement, he doesn't have to take a fight with a prospect on shorter notice. Smarter business sense for him.

Quite a few fighters pick and choose their fights and turn down fights for their own reasons. E.g. Couture not wanting anyone apart from Machida or Shogun, Fedor's camp coming up with reasons why they wouldn't fight Overeem and McCorkle flat out saying that he would turn down a fight in which he didn't match up well against his opponent lol.[/quote']

What do you mean short notice? he was already schedualed to fight... and preparing for it, hes already got great juijitsu, and his stand up is technical and crisp, so what was the problem really? he was in shape...

What do you mean short notice? he was already schedualed to fight... and preparing for it' date=' hes already got great juijitsu, and his stand up is technical and crisp, so what was the problem really? he was in shape...[/quote']

It is still considered a short notice fight if the opponent is changed. He may be in shape, but he was training for a different fighter.

It is still considered a short notice fight if the opponent is changed. He may be in shape' date=' but he was training for a different fighter.[/quote']

Yeah but they are similar, Lil Nog has dangerous juijitsu too and has boxing experiance... Alexander is coming off of 2 submission wins, I doubt he could've submitted Rich Franklin... so really I don't know why he ducked it

Yeah isntead of training fro a washed out has been he had to train for someone with quick skills and movement who amy have beaten him, What Rich means is he though he would win against Nog. He didnt think he'd win with the reschedule. LAME

Cmon on guys, these guys are fighter get in there and f*ckin fight.

it was a loose loose fight if Franklin took it so i can see why he turned it down

How is it lose lose..... Dont these guys have any confidence in their skills are are they padding for easy fights they think they could win.If they said you arent fight Nog but instead fighting gustaffson for a title do you think he would turn it down

Yeah but they are similar' date=' Lil Nog has dangerous juijitsu too and has boxing experiance... Alexander is coming off of 2 submission wins, I doubt he could've submitted Rich Franklin... so really I don't know why he ducked it[/quote']

Pretty obvious why he didn't take the fight IMO.

Rich is at the point in his career that fighting a prospect doesn't really do anything for him and is an extremely dangerous fight for him to take. He want's a bigger name, no need to be the person boosting a prospect's record.

Rich wouldn't be that worried about The Maulers ground game, it is his striking that makes this an extremely dangerous fight for him.

if he won the fight it wouldn't be a big deal because he was a huge favourite but if he lost then he moves way down the rankings

I doubt Rich was scared of Gustaffson (considering he's been in there with the best in the world multiple times)... It seemed more like a business decision. Dana said it himself that he doesn't blame him.

what. he's right. Gustafsson might be great but he's still a newcomer unknown to the public while Franklin is a big name and has been there for a long time. All he says is true. His carreer only has a few fights left and it's just normal that he prefers to wait longer than to take a fight with someone that doesn't motivate him.

Rich has been putting on good shows for years, he's known to the public and very respected. He's not at his peak either and he wants to fight guys who have similar notoriety. That's a right he's earned, and deservingly so. That's why you don't see Dana *****ing about it.

I don't have a problem with this. I want to see Rich fight big names. Do I think a fight against Gustaffson would have been good? Yeah. But I'm not gonna ***** because Rich didn't want that fight. I'd much rather see him fight someone bigger (*cough*Machida*cough*) than an up-and-comer.

Rich is coming off a loss no way hes going to fight Machida whos coming off a win (that was a KO), he was supposed to fight Lil Nog whos lost twice in a row, that just shows you where he is in the division ROFL, so he wants to fight washed up big names? so be it..

Rich is coming off a loss no way hes going to fight Machida whos coming off a win (that was a KO)' date=' he was supposed to fight Lil Nog whos lost twice in a row, that just shows you where he is in the division ROFL, so he wants to fight washed up big names? so be it..[/quote']

At this point, I doubt Rich is honestly looking for a title run. If Rich is as smart as I hope he is, he knows he won't become a champ again. At this point, I think Rich is just looking to put on good fights against big names. A chance to avenge his loss to Machida would be good for him. And whatever his current rank in the division is, Rich is still one of the more elite guys in the division. The only people to have beaten Rich were champion-material fighters. Plus, it would work out for Machida. If he wins, the UFC can add "a man who beat two UFC legends" to his marketability.

I honestly see Franklin/Machida as a win-win. If Franklin were to lose, it'd still be to one of the division's top four. If he wins, he avenges a previous loss and erases doubt that he doesn't have what it takes to compete in high-caliber MMA fights.

If Machida loses, he still loses to one of the best veterans in MMA today. If he wins, he adds more of Franklin's own status to himself and increases his marketability.

At this stage there's nothing in this fight for Rich. If it were a younger guy looking to prove themselves I could see why they'd take a fight like this but Rich doesn't have anything to prove.

Believe it or not, most fighters aren't idiots who just get in there to brawl for the sake of it.

Would have been interested to see the fight tho.

thread discussion is amusing on this one...

11er "Rich is a chicken.. ive lost respect for him.. whinge f'n whinge"

10er "i neither agree or disagree, but here is my perspective"

9er - STFU NOOB. Franklin is a legend. He has earned the right to pick opponents, and more importantly, reject opponents who are not worthy.

Rich is smart. Why would he take that fight? He's Rich "Ace" Franklin. Look what happened to Keith Jardine who was rising to the top at the time, when he was forced to fight Houston Alexander. Or how about Leben taking on Stann? Bad move.

Rich is a fighter who is a pretty big name still in the UFC. If he's fighting someone who the majority of casual fans do not know, then I don't think it would sell as well.

Rich is smart. Why would he take that fight? He's Rich "Ace" Franklin. Look what happened to Keith Jardine who was rising to the top at the time' date=' when he was forced to fight Houston Alexander. Or how about Leben taking on Stann? Bad move.

Rich is a fighter who is a pretty big name still in the UFC. If he's fighting someone who the majority of casual fans do not know, then I don't think it would sell as well.[/quote']

^ I agree Rich made an intelligent choice, I believe it was a lose, lose for him if he took that fight. If he won so what he beat a no body and if he lost Rich Franklin would have been a stepping stone for Alex. Lose, lose there, good choice Rich.

How can you guys give him **** about this. It was a smart decision for him. Names are what sell fights, like it or not, and hes a former champ fighting other big names. Taking a fight like that doesn't make a lot of sense. If he wins, who cares he beat someone below his level, and if he loses, well then fans call him overrated and past his prime. Fighters should be tough, not stupid, he has nothing to gain from this match.

^ I agree Rich made an intelligent choice' date=' I believe it was a lose, lose for him if he took that fight. If he won so what he beat a no body and if he lost Rich Franklin would have been a stepping stone for Alex. Lose, lose there, good choice Rich.[/quote']

I agree to disagree with you and Doc, Leben was feeling sick in the fight against Brian Stann, and that fight wasn't short notice, Keith Jardine lost to Houstan Alexander because he took him lightly, that was his own fault and he admitted it... and lol @ big names bring more money, Rich Franklin still gets paid the same... if not, more for taking this fight, just look at wanderlei vs leben, wanderlei still got paid more than leben even though he horribly lost, thats all bs, lets be real, Rich Franklin didn't take the fight because if he'd rather lose to someone with a "big name" then risk losing to someone thats rising, which makes him a hypocrite, because Ken Shamrock gave him that chance, so why wouldn't he give the chance to others?

Archived