From main event to live on spike: the matt hamill story.

boogieman72

Ok after watching Hamills performance against Rampage i questioned if he should even be fighting in the ufc. even in victory the guy always looks sloppy, i realize 11-3 at this point in the ufc is a great record, but if you can't beat the "elite" fighters there, whats the point. pattern of couple a wins against scrubs, step up in competition, set right back down.

does anyone ever see Matt as the light heavy weight champ?

I remember how much i hated Matt in the ufc house, and nothing has ever really changed. i will give him credit where credit is due, he is a decent wrestler, and he can sure take a good beating, but his wrestling against Rampage was shameful.

I guess bottom line i am hating on Hamill, and i invite others to hate as well, if you don't want to hate on him feel free to hate on me, i prob have alot of other opinions you will not like as well, i am just kidding i love you all.

It was because he took the fight on short notice, and it happened to be on the prelims. Really, what fight are you going to switch from the main card? The only reason he fought rampage was because silva pulled out. The only reason it was the main event was because the title fight got scrapped.

Are you insane Bisping and Alves are nasty in there division, Alves just has problems with wrestling and Bisping sometimes doesnt execute the proper game plan on his opponents but non the less they are in no way shape or form gate keepers

Hamill is a good fighter.

I agree.....

I don't think he'll ever be champion.

However, he has more of a chance than a lot of the guys in the division. He's not terrible, and when he gets you to the ground, he's giving you a beating.

I'll always have respect for Hamill. He comes out to fight pretty much every time, and I see no reason to hate on him.

War Hamill!

How is Thiago Alves in any way a gate keeper?

He lost to the number 1 ranked WW in the world and the number 2 ranked WW in the world.

And honestly I believe the Story decision could have gone either way.

LOL seriously? Story kicked his ****. And this is coming from a guy who lost 50 bucks on that fight.

How is Thiago Alves in any way a gate keeper?

He lost to the number 1 ranked WW in the world and the number 2 ranked WW in the world.

And honestly I believe the Story decision could have gone either way.

Well that is your opinion. The fact is that Thiago Alves can't beat current top competition. He has one win over top ten competition in the UFC. The rest he has lost.

Rick Story showed in his fight with Thiago Alves exactly why he is a gate keeper. Thiago Alves refuses to improve on his grappling skills. You would think that after being out-wrestled by GSP and Jon Fitch he would have improved and came prepared for Rick Story.

the thing is , same goes for Nate Marquardt, Damian Maia etc etc, Mark Munoz will probably never be champion. They may NEVER be champions, but they are damn good tests for up and coming fighters. They still win here and there and are good enough to be gate keepers for any fighter trying to get to the top and these guys STILL want to get to the top so they think of themselves as more than gatekeepers and that keeps them winning here and there to keep them in the UFC.

When will some people understand how important gatekeepers are!!! So they might not be champions, but they need to be there all the same and they still make a living doing what they do. You get rid of gatekeepers, you can NEVER gage how good the up and coming fighters really are.

Why not just get rid of all NBA teams and just have Orlando, LA Lakers, Boston and Miami? Even though next year they might not win any games, but they have won a hell a lot to be classed as good enough to be there every year, even when one day Koby will retire adn there will be a losing streak for a few years, but the team must go on. Fighters even though they lose must still go on, because round the next corner 1 win or a series of wins could change everything.

Look at Tito ortiz now. 1 win and he has a shot at Rashad. does Tito really deserve it ? Rashad just defeated Rampage, Tito just defeated Bader, a guy on a losing streak and Tito hadnt won for years up till that point, Tito now gets a contender shot. Tito has been a gatekeeper for years. Now has one shot to change his entire MMA future. One day Hamill may be in this position.

Hamill still wins here and there and isnt even on a massive losing streak. Hes lost 1 fight lol. he may even lose the next but third, he might win and thats what keeps peopel like Hamill in the UFC. Why not just cut Machida too? He may never be teh champion ever again either. Why? because if you needed a guy to be tested, Machida aint a bad guy to put in there with them and he still wins also here and there. Enough to keep in the UFC.

Well who is to say that Hamil had bad wrestling? could be that Rampage has improved his TDD. If he looks sloppy in one area then he would go back to the gym and improve on that aspect. Just because you can't/don't improve as a human being does not mean others cannot.

/thread