Let's Talk Nick Diaz & His "pitter patter" chain punches

Shuberling

Incoherent babbling aside, I think it was interesting he said something like:

"I'm not gonna swing wildly and miss and get knocked the **** out"... lol.

Analyzing what he does is kinda hard... punches in bunches in a straight line which dont "look" powerful, but are, but volume always wears you down.

I jokingly call them chain punches, but seriously the attitude is not far off. And ****er just keeps moving forward and as they wind up for one punch he lands four..... it's quite astonishing and counter-intuitive, but man... he makes it work.

Thoughts?

Another thing he tends to do is he backs his opponents up to the fence with straights and jabs, then when they're against the fence covering up, he tends to lean his head into their head or chest depending on their height and throws hooks to the body which tires his opponents out alot!

Another thing he tends to do is he backs his opponents up to the fence with straights and jabs' date=' then when they're against the fence covering up, he tends to lean his head into their head or chest depending on their height and throws hooks to the body which tires his opponents out alot![/quote']

He also doesn't fight anybody good. The guy was outstruck by Sherk, that's crazy considering his reach.

Another thing he tends to do is he backs his opponents up to the fence with straights and jabs' date=' then when they're against the fence covering up, he tends to lean his head into their head or chest depending on their height and throws hooks to the body which tires his opponents out alot![/quote']

I love it when he does that, it looks awesome.

His punches, though not being fluid, work extremely well. The problem I see with his striking is that if someone can move quickly to the side they could counter punch him. He tends to throw straight forward, and with half a wind on his punches. He's always moving forward, with puts his opponents on the defense. Someone with a karate background would most likely have a better chance against him, as they are use to not winding up, and side stepping. Either that or someone with a judo background, which is why Nick was taken down at will against Karo Parisyan, as he struck right into Parisyan's strength (He got in close all throughout that fight, into position for a judo throw).

Personally I like his unorthodox style, but I don't think he has a snowball's chance in hell of beating GSP.

They aren't pitter patter punches . He throws from light to hard just mma fans don't understand because every other fighter throws bombs all the time . He knows how to set up power punches w light punches , much like a boxer does . Tap tap tap = bam!!!!! He is a very intelligent boxer for mma IMO . Why risk the haymaker counterpunch , set up my power punches w light to med punches mixed up to disguise when I'm gonna crush you w a hayuken punch . Smart !!!!!

Diaz is competent with his hands thats for sure. But he has a history of struggling with people that WILL NOT back down.

His saving grace is that length from shoulder to wrist. I still don't see him winning this fight.

gsp is not going to back down,he will run and scream :Au Secours!

They aren't pitter patter punches . He throws from light to hard just mma fans don't understand because every other fighter throws bombs all the time . He knows how to set up power punches w light punches ' date=' much like a boxer does . Tap tap tap = bam!!!!! He is a very intelligent boxer for mma IMO . Why risk the haymaker counterpunch , set up my power punches w light to med punches mixed up to disguise when I'm gonna crush you w a hayuken punch . Smart !!!!![/quote']

well said, good post.

Diaz has great boxing skills for MMA.

Not sure how well he would do in a boxing fight, but for MMA his boxing is well above average. His stand up at times does not look impressive because we are so used to watching people just swing bombs for one shot KOs. The problem is not many people put together combinations so often the oppenent can see the shot comming and avoid it causing a lot of missed wild punches. However when they do land a big shot and knock someone out everyone praises them.

Diaz has shown the ability to finish good strikers too even with his so called "pitter patter" punches because he puts together combinations that eventually wear out his oppenents. He uses body punches and jabs, which are rarely used in MMA, which is why his boxing is so effective against his oppenents. If you watch Paul Daley he just swings bombs and although he did almost knock Diaz out, eventually it was Diaz who won because he put together many combinations that eventually took all the wind out of Daley leaving him easier to knockout.

When facing Diaz, GSP has to stay on the outside and use kicks and long straight punches. Usually GSP is good at this, but as a fan of his against Shields I did not like the way he was striking. It was almost like he was trying for one knockout punch with that weird overhand right, instead of his usual kick and punch combinations that work much better. The problem with staying on the outside against Diaz is that he comes forward and brings a lot of pressure, so GSP will have to use a lot of footwork and mix it up with take downs to make sure Diaz does not get his range. However in the Cyborg fight Diaz once again showed good boxing, but also showed that he does not check leg kicks very well and can be kicked often from the outside. GSP has nice kicks and is certainly capable of doing this.

I would be shocked if GSP finishes Diaz so mixing up take downs and outside striking is his best bet to win. If it goes to a decision I see GSP winning, but if it is a finish, I see Diaz winning. However this will not be an easy fight for GSP as the rest of them have been (the Shields would have been as easy in rounds 4 and 5 as it was in rounds 1-3 if GSP did not have the eye injury). Diaz presents the hardest style match up for GSP out of all his title challengers to date. Overall I see GSP taking it, but the great boxing and ju jit su of Diaz will be very tough to conquer. I see GSP's superior wrestling and kicking ability being the deciding factor in the fight allowing him to win a decision.

Incoherent babbling aside' date=' I think it was interesting he said something like:

Analyzing what he does is kinda hard... punches in bunches in a straight line which dont "look" powerful, but are, but volume always wears you down.

I jokingly call them chain punches, but seriously the attitude is not far off. And ****er just keeps moving forward and as they wind up for one punch he lands four..... it's quite astonishing and counter-intuitive, but man... he makes it work.

Thoughts?[/quote']

Dude, he's not that good. Your gsp hate has you thinking Diaz has a chance. Gsp is better in every area of mma. Gsp's next opponent will be the one to dethrone him too right? This is not the guy that will beat him, not even close. Gsp can be beaten, but it's gonna be by a 185 fighter. Silva is the only person near his weight that could beat gsp right now

Dude' date=' he's not that good. Your gsp hate has you thinking Diaz has a chance. Gsp is better in every area of mma. Gsp's next opponent will be the one to dethrone him too right? This is not the guy that will beat him, not even close. Gsp can be beaten, but it's gonna be by a 185 fighter. Silva is the only person near his weight that could beat gsp right now[/quote']

I don't hate GSP, infact I really do like him... I just like Diaz more. And I do think Diaz will finish GSP, he is the most well rounded WW GSP will have fought who is in their prime. You think GSP has fought more well rounded people? Who might they Be?

BJ Penn - An average sized LW

Matt Hughes - A wrestler with good power, but not the best striker ever.

Jon Fitch - A wrestler

Josh Koscheck - A wrestler who thinks he's a striker but only 1 punch KO power

Thiago Alves - A striker with cruddy grappling

Dan Hardy - A striker with NO grappling whatsoever

Jake Shields - A grappler who was forced to strike and he has some of the worst striking in the division. And GSP lost 2 rounds of striking to this guy!

Nick Diaz - Outstuck Paul Daley who is considered one of the best strikers in the WW division and has ridiculous KO power, after dropping Diaz twice, he still failed to KO him. Nick also being a blackbelt under Cesar Gracie. And if you know how Cesar grades people, you would know it's insanely hard to get a black belt under him and even GSP would only be a brown belt with him at this point.

Diaz can knock people out and sub people and he's actually a WW unlike BJ Penn. He'll have a better chance than anybody else at WW to beat GSP. :cool:

**** everyone else who is gonna put a stupid gif about not reading this you butt hurt *******!

I don't hate GSP' date=' infact I really do like him... I just like Diaz more. And I do think Diaz will finish GSP, he is the most well rounded WW GSP will have fought who is in their prime. You think GSP has fought more well rounded people? Who might they Be?

Jon Fitch - A wrestler

Jake Shields - A grappler who was forced to strike and he has some of the worst striking in the division. And GSP lost 2 rounds of striking to this guy!

Nick Diaz - Outstuck Paul Daley who is considered one of the best strikers in the WW division and has ridiculous KO power, after dropping Diaz twice, he still failed to KO him. Nick also being a blackbelt under Cesar Gracie. And if you know how Cesar grades people, you would know it's insanely hard to get a black belt under him and even GSP would only be a brown belt with him at this point.

Diaz can knock people out and sub people and he's actually a WW unlike BJ Penn. He'll have a better chance than anybody else at WW to beat GSP. :cool:

**** everyone else who is gonna put a stupid gif about not reading this you butt hurt *******![/quote']

BJ Penn - better than Diaz at everything

Fitch - great wrestler, decent striking.

Thiago Alves - good striker with great TDD

Koscheck - great wrestler with punch power

Shields - okay striker with a good wrestling and submissions

Serra - powerful hands and very good bjj

*Sherk - good technical boxing, very powerful wrestler

Mayhem - pretty good striking, excellent bjj; made Diaz back down from a fight

*Karo - decent striker; world class judo and good follow subs

* Defeated Diaz

Diaz - pretty good striking, pretty good bjj.

He's not that great compares to other fighters GSP has faced.

BJ Penn - better than Diaz at everything

Fitch - great wrestler' date=' decent striking.

Thiago Alves - good striker with great TDD

Koscheck - great wrestler with punch power

Shields - okay striker with a good wrestling and submissions

Serra - powerful hands and very good bjj

*Sherk - good technical boxing, very powerful wrestler

Mayhem - pretty good striking, excellent bjj; made Diaz back down from a fight

*Karo - decent striker; world class judo and good follow subs

* Defeated Diaz

Diaz - pretty good striking, pretty good bjj.

He's not that great compares to other fighters GSP has faced.[/quote']

Sigh*

Maybe' date=' it is [b']all subjective[/b]. Care to discuss what you didn't agree with? I felt, despite the bias, I was fairly accurate.

Indeed.

BJ. Sherk. and Serra I feel you have correct. But, lets face it. They are LWs.

I don't think Fitch and Shields qualify as "decent strikers" (of course this is IMO, but I feel many others would agree).

You didn't throw Hardy in your list. But, I can see why.

Karo isn't very relavent anymore.

The only truely well-rounded opponent GSP has faced in recent years is BJ IMO.

Indeed.

BJ. Sherk. and Serra I feel you have correct. But' date=' lets face it. They are LWs.

I don't think Fitch and Shields qualify as "decent strikers" (of course this is IMO, but I feel many others would agree).

You didn't throw Hardy in your list. But, I can see why.

Karo isn't very relavent anymore.

The only truely well-rounded opponent GSP has faced in recent years is BJ IMO.[/quote']

Fitch out landed both Penn and Alves on the feet, so I felt a "decent" was in order. Shields' striking is only horrible because we never really get to see it.

BJ, Sherk, and Serra are also WW's. BJ may be smaller than Diaz, but he has always been smaller than Diaz. Yet look what he did to Diego and Sherk compared to Diaz. Diaz is better now, but I doubt he could beat either one in the same fashion that BJ did.

Fitch out landed both Penn and Alves on the feet' date=' so I felt a "decent" was in order. Shields' striking is only horrible because we never really get to see it.

BJ, Sherk, and Serra are also WW's. BJ may be smaller than Diaz, but he has always been smaller than Diaz. Yet look what he did to Diego and Sherk compared to Diaz. Diaz is better now, but I doubt he could beat either one in the same fashion that BJ did.[/quote']

If Fitch is getting the best out of the striking in that line up. Just think for a sec...

I became a fan of diaz because he pretty much says F-it ima fight this dude at what he is good at, example being Gomi, and Daley, i seriously thought nick would take daley down but instead he KTFO'd the guy, and Most UFC top contenders would have been knocked out in that fight if they decided to do what nick did.

I don't hate GSP' date=' infact I really do like him... I just like Diaz more. And I do think Diaz will finish GSP, he is the most well rounded WW GSP will have fought who is in their prime. You think GSP has fought more well rounded people? Who might they Be?

Jon Fitch - A wrestler

Nick Diaz - [b']Outstuck Paul Daley[/b] who is considered one of the best strikers in the WW division and has ridiculous KO power, after dropping Diaz twice, he still failed to KO him. Nick also being a blackbelt under Cesar Gracie. And if you know how Cesar grades people, you would know it's insanely hard to get a black belt under him and even GSP would only be a brown belt with him at this point.

**** everyone else who is gonna put a stupid gif about not reading this you butt hurt *******!

So...basically what you are saying is that the entire UFC WW division is crap

Oh, and he didn't outstrike him either, thats like saying Russow outstruck Duffee

Fitch out landed both Penn and Alves on the feet' date=' so I felt a "decent" was in order. [b']Shields' striking is only horrible[/b] because we never really get to see it.

BJ, Sherk, and Serra are also WW's. BJ may be smaller than Diaz, but he has always been smaller than Diaz. Yet look what he did to Diego and Sherk compared to Diaz. Diaz is better now, but I doubt he could beat either one in the same fashion that BJ did.

And still he almost outstruck gsp.

Diaz is competent with his hands thats for sure. But he has a history of struggling with people that WILL NOT back down.

His saving grace is that length from shoulder to wrist. I still don't see him winning this fight.

I think this fight is going to bring out the old gsp, and we should have a war.....hopefully that is

I became a fan of diaz because he pretty much says F-it ima fight this dude at what he is good at' date=' example being Gomi, and Daley, i seriously thought nick would take daley down but instead he KTFO'd the guy, and[b'] Most UFC top contenders would have been knocked out in that fight if they decided to do what nick did[/b].

This, no matter what anyone says i do believe that daley is the best striker at WW.

So...basically what you are saying is that the entire UFC WW division is crap

Oh' date=' and he didn't outstrike him either, thats like saying Russow outstruck Duffee[/b']

WRONG

Sig. Str. Diaz: 44 of 81 54%

Sig. Str. Daley: 20 of 62 32%

Good try though lol

Incoherent babbling aside' date=' I think it was interesting he said something like:

Thoughts?[/quote']

slappy distracting technique that apparently brings success,

the volume does eventually take its toll, there can be no denial -

If he fought better competition' date=' I'd have more references for him.[/quote']

I have to agree with you here surprisingly i personally think that BJ Penn could beat Nick Diaz on the feet and on the ground, and even though i will be rooting for Nick, GSP is going too win this fight by decisive decision.

Nick takes too many punches. That's why he's so ugly! No matter how tough he is' date=' he's a bleeder.[/quote']

& so is safe Pierre - Look what hapened when he got

tooled in the standup by the divisions worst striker in

Shields... His face was lit up...

Can only imagine what Diaz will do to lil Frenchy...

Archived