Should weigh-ins be on the day of the fight?

pigskin010909

I think it would make for more active fights and fighters wouldn't have to face a guy that is way bigger than him b/c he's at a natural weight, where the other cuts a lot of weight. For instance, shogun looked like a kid against Jones. I think jones should, and will, be at heavyweight. he's much bigger than he appears b/c he's so long.

I think it would make for more active fights and fighters wouldn't have to face a guy that is way bigger than him b/c he's at a natural weight' date=' where the other cuts a lot of weight. For instance, shogun looked like a kid against Jones. I think jones should, and will, be at heavyweight. he's much bigger than he appears b/c he's so long.[/quote']

Jones said in the 135 press conference that he WILL move to HW in a few years

imagine if fighters didn't cut weight and just turned up at whatever weight they are, and everyone did it, and they didn't put their body through hell the day before a fight, and the weight classes all shifted up to keep the fighters in the same divisions that they are now. but noooo, they all try to cheat and get a size advantage.

their performances are suffering from their weight cuts and the fans are being robbed.

imagine if fighters didn't cut weight and just turned up at whatever weight they are' date=' and everyone did it, and they didn't put their body through hell the day before a fight, and the weight classes all shifted up to keep the fighters in the same divisions that they are now. but noooo, they all try to cheat and get a size advantage.

their performances are suffering from their weight cuts and the fans are being robbed.[/quote']

that's what i'm talking about, natural weight, but fighting the same fighters. what's the deal? everybody cuts 20 lbs to fight a guy that cut 20 lbs, then back up to their weight the day of the fight

There is a theory that when fighters dehydrate themselves that they lose some fluid around their brain. About 20 years ago a Korean boxer got killed in the ring, so boxing started early weigh ins. I think some fighters would still try to cut weight even if they weighed in on the day of the fight, which is too dangerous.

There is a theory that when fighters dehydrate themselves that they lose some fluid around their brain. About 20 years ago a Korean boxer got killed in the ring' date=' so boxing started early weigh ins. I think some fighters would still try to cut weight even if they weighed in on the day of the fight, which is too dangerous.[/quote']

that's interesting. maybe the organization should keep a record of natural body weight with random weight checks and if a fighter wants to change weight classes provide a record of a legit diet or weight gaining program and be approved. there needs to be something done. the health of these fighters are at stake.

There is a theory that when fighters dehydrate themselves that they lose some fluid around their brain. About 20 years ago a Korean boxer got killed in the ring' date=' so boxing started early weigh ins. I think some fighters would still try to cut weight even if they weighed in on the day of the fight, which is too dangerous.[/quote']

Yea, and a lot of doctors (and bas rutten :D) think that if you don't re-hydrate yourself enough before a fight you will become easier to KO because your brain doesn't have enough cushion around it.

I think it would make for more active fights and fighters wouldn't have to face a guy that is way bigger than him b/c he's at a natural weight' date=' where the other cuts a lot of weight. For instance, shogun looked like a kid against Jones. I think jones should, and will, be at heavyweight. he's much bigger than he appears b/c he's so long.[/quote']

Hell No. They are doing it right currently.

Here are a few reasons why not:

1.) There would be some people that would still cut a ridiculous amount of weight including some on the day of the fight and the fights would be a lot worse than any are now and they could possibley get injured badly or killed.

2.) Do you know how much mental/physical/etc prep goes in the day of the fight before the fighters get into the ring, this would definitely through that off.

3.) Fighters can not eat several hours before the fight if they did the weighins in the morning they would not be able to eat all day and I assume that affect them a lot. Even if they did it right before the fight that would still suck.

Think they should have two-three weigh ins over a period of lets say a week before they fight. The last one should be at the day of the fight. This would force the fighthers to be at fight weight permanately and not only once temporarily for the one weigh in.

Hell No. They are doing it right currently.

Here are a few reasons why not:

1.) There would be some people that would still cut a ridiculous amount of weight including some on the day of the fight and the fights would be a lot worse than any are now and they could possibley get injured badly or killed.

2.) Do you know how much mental/physical/etc prep goes in the day of the fight before the fighters get into the ring' date=' this would definitely through that off.

3.) Fighters can not eat several hours before the fight if they did the weighins in the morning they would not be able to eat all day and I assume that affect them a lot. Even if they did it right before the fight that would still suck.[/quote']

Here is some easy solutions to the concerns you mentioned: Don't cut weight. That way we dont have huge weight differences between fighters of the same weigt class, like BJ Penn and GSP or Jones versus anybody. The reason why weight classes were put into place was to even the playing field. Cutting weight is just a way of cheating the system. If some guy dies from cutting weight to get an unfair advantage, oh well.

that's what i'm talking about' date=' natural weight, but fighting the same fighters. what's the deal? everybody cuts 20 lbs to fight a guy that cut 20 lbs, then back up to their weight the day of the fight[/quote']

Overall, its 100% fair. If your not cutting weight, you could either be at an advantage or disadvantage. Edgar and Guida are two guys who cut almost no weight or can even GAIN weight to fight. They are both very good fighters. You got guys like Anthony Johnson who cut a tremendous amount of weight but still do pretty good. GSP cuts ~ 20-25 pounds i believe. Thats a lot but anyone can cut weight. Healthy or not they will always do it. And thats why gameplans are critical.

Fighting a guy like Anthony Johnson, you gotta have a gas tank and a good gameplan. Do not expect to go throw his big 215-225 pounds around on fight night.

The people who are saying this isn't a good idea. The point is so that fighters DON'T cut weight!

No cutting, means no dehydration, means no problem. Granted most of the fighters will have to move up a weight class, or two (Gleison TIbau, Anthony Johnson etc.), but it'll be the same weight come fight day, which is fairer than now.

have you ever cut weight?

it's horrible. give the fighters some time to regain some strength.

and also' date=' If a fighter doesn;t make weight by mistake, they should have some time to cut an extra pound.[/quote']

The point of the post is for fighters to not cut weight and fight at their natural weight class.

ye dehyradrating your body the way these fighters do is so unhealthy its unreal....no doubt it has effects on their health doing it over the amount of years they do it.

Does anyone on this forum ever compete in MMA or even wrestling? I wrestled in middle school and high school and cutting weight is NOT hard if you are in good shape. If you are in lousy shape, you shouldn't be fighting in the first place. Stupid idea, end of discussion. And do you have any kind of evidence to show it's unhealthy?

if you can make the weight' date=' then its ur natural weightclass.

pretty much every fighter cuts weight, (accept frankie.)[/quote']

BJ Penn, Frankie Edgar, Matt Serra, Fedor, and Shogun all don't cut weight. The point is if they take the risk for the size advantage then if something horrible happens they are responsible. The UFC should be encouraging a fair playing field, where fighters are coming in at the same weight. If not, then why have weight classes. You would find that the big weight cutters will be far less dominating if this was to ever happen.

Fighters wouldn't gas as fast. That alone adds entertainment value.

There's also the "this guys did this at the weigh-in" factor which the UFC uses to further promote the fight for another 24 hours. But I think it should be on Saturday afternoon/evening, like 3 hours prior to the fight.

BJ Penn' date=' Frankie Edgar, Matt Serra, Fedor, and Shogun all don't cut weight. The point is if they take the risk for the size advantage then if something horrible happens they are responsible. The UFC should be encouraging a fair playing field, where fighters are coming in at the same weight. If not, then why have weight classes. You would find that the big weight cutters will be far less dominating if this was to ever happen.[/quote']

Penn cuts weight to get to LW. Matt Serra walks around close to 200 lbs. And if fighters can't handle fighting bigger guys because they cut less weight, then drop a weight class. Otherwise STFU.;)

Fighters wouldn't gas as fast. That alone adds entertainment value.

There's also the "this guys did this at the weigh-in" factor which the UFC uses to further promote the fight for another 24 hours. But I think it should be on Saturday afternoon/evening' date=' like 3 hours prior to the fight.[/quote']

GSP cuts a lot, as well as A. Silva. But neither one of those guys have cardio problems. It's all about the shape your in pre weight cut.

Penn cuts weight to get to LW. Matt Serra walks around close to 200 lbs. And if fighters can't handle fighting bigger guys because they cut less weight' date=' then drop a weight class. Otherwise STFU.;)[/quote']

I was referring to when Penn fights at WW. The reason for weight classes is to even the playing field. Do you think its right to violate this? And if so why have weight classes?

Does anyone on this forum ever compete in MMA or even wrestling? I wrestled in middle school and high school and cutting weight is NOT hard if you are in good shape. If you are in lousy shape' date=' you shouldn't be fighting in the first place. Stupid idea, end of discussion. And do you have any kind of evidence to show it's unhealthy?[/quote']

lol @ this idiotic response...well done you competed in middle school...try making the same cut when your 30 ....lol full of fail, you only have to google and do some research to show that after a weight cut your body is alot unhealthier than it is walking around at its natural weight when it has not been dehyrated.

anyone who says it is not unhealthy to dehydrate yourself and get in the the octagon for an MMA fight is just pure stupid.

dont take my work for it, google is your friend.

I was referring to when Penn fights at WW. The reason for weight classes is to even the playing field. Do you think its right to violate this? And if so why have weight classes?

If you don't want to be at a size disadvantage, don't move up in weight. It's not GSP, Fitch, or any other WW's fault that BJ wanted to move up.

Yes, but only if it is 2 hours or less before the fight because you would still have guys trying to cut weight and they would be even more zapped of energy.

I just don't ever see it happening as much as I would like to. You would see way better fights IMO.

If you don't want to be at a size disadvantage' date=' don't move up in weight. It's not GSP, Fitch, or any other WW's fault that BJ wanted to move up.[/quote']

I am not asserting that it is. I am saying cutting weight is a violation of the principles behind having weight classes.

I am not asserting that it is. I am saying cutting weight is a violation of the principles behind having weight classes.

Not really. How many weight mismatches are there? Not many. Outside of the HW division, guys are fighting other guys that are the same size.

Ok i think some people don't know how hard dehydrating really is on the body. Is the weight ins were made a couple hours before the fight NOBODY would do it. Couple hours is simply not enough to regain your energy.

Thats the point. It would discourage weight cuts. People wouldn't cut weight if they couldn't rehydrate their bodies properly. thats the point of the thread. If you do the weigh ins before the fight, people would be less likely to cut large sums of weight in order to get a size advantage.

Not really. How many weight mismatches are there? Not many. Outside of the HW division' date=' guys are fighting other guys that are the same size.[/quote']

ok? that's exactly what i'm getting at. what's the point in two guys cutting 20 lbs temporarily just to put it back on and be the same size anyways? there is no point. stay your natural weight and you'll be fighting, for the most part, the same guys. people wont be able to cut if the organization keeps a record of the natural weight and fighters have to submit a legit diet or weight gaining program on a request to move up or down a weight class. its ludicrus

I don't know if this has been said because I didn't read the whole thread, but the answer is no.

I understand and think it's stupid that some guys fight like 2 weight classes under what they should *cought* Anthony Johnson and other *Cought*, but they already tried that **** in boxing. The end result was fighters still cutting the same amount of weight but going into the fight dehydrated and weak as ****.

On one side I am thinking, if they're stupid enough to do it let them. On the other I understand that they do it because I am competitive as **** and I'll do a lot to win when I play sports, even in friendly games.

But still, I think guys would just be stupid and still do it and it would end up in 1 of 2 ways. Either they'd be so gassed the fight would be boring or they would injure themselves. Or both.

Not worth it. But if there was a way to eliminate weight cutting completely and have fighters fight at their natural weight I'd be all for it. One of the many reasons I have so much respect for Fedor.

imagine if fighters didn't cut weight and just turned up at whatever weight they are' date=' and everyone did it, and they didn't put their body through hell the day before a fight, and the weight classes all shifted up to keep the fighters in the same divisions that they are now. but noooo, they all try to cheat and get a size advantage.

their performances are suffering from their weight cuts and the fans are being robbed.[/quote']

I've been saying this for a long time. Amen, brother!

Put a poll up, please.

I think in theory it would be a good idea... it just isnt practical.

I would be all for the weigh-ins a day before, and a quick weigh-in pre-fight to check they havent gone over say a 10lb buffer come fight time.

Those who choose to cut large weight are thus penalised by purse constraints vs. physical constraints. I agree there needs to be some form of retribution for those who push the limits of cutting, one way or another. The free pass system at present doesnt reflect the supposed fairness weight-classes are supposed to protect.

The answer to this is to weigh in the fighters twice. Once the day before' date=' the second an hour before their fight. This is to make sure that they have not gained more than 7 lbs since their last weigh in.[/quote']

That explains everything.

The answer to this is to weigh in the fighters twice. Once the day before' date=' the second an hour before their fight. This is to make sure that they have not gained more than 7 lbs since their last weigh in.[/quote']

Great idea. Thats a very reasonable adjustment that would ensure that fighters can make weight and not go well above that the day of the fight. Great post.

Archived