A possible reason why KO's are getting less likely to happen.

Gazelle35

Guys, we all know that as the sport of MMA is growing, so are the mixed martial artists that are cutting into the scene of MMA. We all see a lot of one-dimensional fighters but it is imperative to them to learn the other skills necessary to make it big in the ever growing sport of MMA. On top of that, more fighters are actually entering the MMA scene with sights set to become more well-rounded and as what people call a "complete" mixed martial artists. Mixed martial artists nowadays are working very hard to not just become one dimensional but have very respectable wrestling, striking, bjj, judo and other assets deep into their arsenal.

Analyzing opponents and setting up a game plan for this sport is actually very complicated if you think about it because there are so many factors in mma that a fighter has to be concerned about.

And a lot of fighters choose to become very precisely technical into their approach.

So with all of these things in mind, do you guys think one of the main reasons why ko's are less likely to happen now (even for those fighters well-known to have that ko power) is because of the fact that they know coming into a fight, if they come into a brawl, or if the stand-up game of a fighter is more superior, his opponent could go for a takedown or by other means and control the fight or take a chance at the ground instead? thus making fights itself become more tentative and the search for that ko more complicated?

Thoughts? Just wanna know what you think. :)

Guys' date=' we all know that as the sport of MMA is growing, so are the mixed martial artists that are cutting into the scene of MMA. We all see a lot of one-dimensional fighters but it is imperative to [/b']them to learn the other skills necessary to make it big in the ever growing sport of MMA. On top of that, more fighters are actually entering the MMA scene with sights set to become more well-rounded and as what people call a "complete" mixed martial artists. Mixed martial artists nowadays are working very hard to not just become one dimensional but have very respectable wrestling, striking, bjj, judo and other assets deep into their arsenal.

Analyzing opponents and setting up a game plan for this sport is actually very complicated if you think about it because there are so many factors in mma that a fighter has to be concerned about.

And a lot of fighters choose to become very precisely technical into their approach.

So with all of these things in mind, do you guys think one of the main reasons why ko's are less likely to happen now (even for those fighters well-known to have that ko power) is because of the fact that they know coming into a fight, if they come into a brawl, or if the stand-up game of a fighter is more superior, his opponent could go for a takedown or by other means and control the fight or take a chance at the ground instead? thus making fights itself become more tentative and the search for that ko more complicated?

Thoughts? Just wanna know what you think. :)

I read that far, then gave up...

i don't think KO's are less likely to happen.......

I thought that way too but there was this topic on the forum once that showed the statistics of ko's, submissions, and decisions in the ufc as years passed. and it's like, decisions are getting more numbers as mma evolves. I was just thinking, maybe this is also because of the evolution of mixed martial artists themselves. :)

I thought that way too but there was this topic on the forum once that showed the statistics of ko's' date=' submissions, and decisions in the ufc as years passed. and it's like, decisions are getting more numbers as mma evolves. I was just thinking, maybe this is also because of the evolution of mixed martial artists themselves. :)[/quote']

Yeah but as people evolve every aspect of the game improves.... so strikers have better TDD..... One thing you can't train is your chin, there are still plenty of chinny fighters in the UFC & plenty of fighters with one punch KO power......then you have your Wands & Chucks who evolved into both :D

Yeah but as people evolve every aspect of the game improves.... so strikers have better TDD..... One thing you can't train is your chin' date=' there are still plenty of chinny fighters in the UFC & plenty of fighters with one punch KO power......then you have your Wands & Chucks who evolved into both :D[/quote']

Nice point. And it makes fighters more dangerous and impressive as well. So if it is not with the evolution of fighters, then do you actually think that there is this case where finishes are getting less likely to happen? and if there is, what could be the cause of it? :D

Nice point. And it makes fighters more dangerous and impressive as well. So if it is not with the evolution of fighters' date=' then do you actually think that there is this case where finishes are getting less likely to happen? and if there is, what could be the cause of it? :D[/quote']

Maybe that fighters nowa days seem to just want the win & not worry about how....

I mean GSP has the striking ability to KO someone but wont risk it......

Also there does seem to be a new breed of freakish ground fighters coming through.

You have 3 champs that will never win by KO in GSP,Cruz & Edgar....

but then you do have the fighters coming through like Schaub, Meathead, condit etc that do finish fights.

Nice point. And it makes fighters more dangerous and impressive as well. So if it is not with the evolution of fighters' date=' then do you actually think that there is this case where finishes are getting less likely to happen? and if there is, what could be the cause of it? :D[/quote']

MMA is dominated by wrestlers, and in their sport they rarely finish (pin) their opponent, so it's not what they are looking for. They are satisfied with decisions.

MMA is dominated by wrestlers' date=' and in their sport they rarely finish (pin) their opponent, so it's not what they are looking for. They are satisfied with decisions.[/quote']

Maybe that fighters nowa days seem to just want the win & not worry about how....

I mean GSP has the striking ability to KO someone but wont risk it......

Also there does seem to be a new breed of freakish ground fighters coming through.

You have 3 champs that will never win by KO in GSP' date='Cruz & Edgar....

but then you do have the fighters coming through like Schaub, Meathead, condit etc that do finish fights.[/quote']

So it falls to like, how their style dictates to the outcome of how their fights are won? :) Like how it was stated that a wrestler's style is to pin their opponent and keep their backs on the mat thus they know with that kind of strength, they could win fights? hehe. And yes, I also kind of agree with the point that maybe fighters just want that win, though I do think every fighter wants a finish in EVERY fight they go through. :)

So it falls to like' date=' how their style dictates to the outcome of how their fights are won? :) Like how it was stated that a wrestler's style is to pin their opponent and keep their backs on the mat thus they know with that kind of strength, they could win fights? hehe. And yes, I also kind of agree with the point that maybe fighters just want that win, though I do think every fighter wants a finish in EVERY fight they go through. :)[/quote']

I agree that fighters come into a fight wanting to finish, but alot of them get discouraged, or even scared, and go into a safety first- win a decision mode after they take a hard strike or get taken down.

So it falls to like' date=' how their style dictates to the outcome of how their fights are won? :) Like how it was stated that a wrestler's style is to pin their opponent and keep their backs on the mat thus they know with that kind of strength, they could win fights? hehe. And yes, I also kind of agree with the point that maybe fighters just want that win, though I do think every fighter wants a finish in EVERY fight they go through. :)[/quote']

Of course they WANT a stoppage, just some fighters ie. Liddell,Wand,Penn,Carwin,Condit etc. go looking for it wheras the fighters i named GSP,Edgar & Cruz (among many others) don't.

ko's and, indeed, finishes of any kind are a rarity once you get to the "bigger leagues", because once you reach a certain level ANY MISTAKE can mean the end of a fight, and fighters would rather maintain a streak with safe play than get in a shoot-out.

thats one of the reasons it's so fun to watch "smaller" promotions...those cats scrap. but you have to evolve past that if you want to reach those greater heights.

ko's and' date=' indeed, finishes of any kind are a rarity once you get to the "bigger leagues", because once you reach a certain level ANY MISTAKE can mean the end of a fight, and fighters would rather maintain a streak with safe play than get in a shoot-out.

thats one of the reasons it's so fun to watch "smaller" promotions...those cats scrap. but you have to evolve past that if you want to reach those greater heights.[/quote']

You are right; That's why fighters like Chuck Liddell, Wanderlai Silva, and Mike Tyson will always be legends, and fighters like Frankie Edgar and GSP will always be questioned.

Guys' date=' we all know that as the sport of MMA is growing, so are the mixed martial artists that are cutting into the scene of MMA. We all see a lot of one-dimensional fighters but it is imperative to them to learn the other skills necessary to make it big in the ever growing sport of MMA. On top of that, more fighters are actually entering the MMA scene with sights set to become more well-rounded and as what people call a "complete" mixed martial artists. Mixed martial artists nowadays are working very hard to not just become one dimensional but have very respectable wrestling, striking, bjj, judo and other assets deep into their arsenal.

Thoughts? Just wanna know what you think. :)[/quote']

since the first half of 2011 had some of the best knockouts enough to make a highlight reel DVD, i will disagree with you

I agree that fighters come into a fight wanting to finish' date=' but alot of them get discouraged, or even scared, and go into a safety first- win a decision mode after they take a hard strike or get taken down.[/quote']

The way I see it, correct me if I'm wrong, goes back to what I was trying to say earlier that because of the evolution of the mixed martial artist, he has THAT skill set to go beyond the skill department we really is good at and fight that fight into where he could win a decision thus lessening the possibility of a finish.

And if you're the other fighter and a you study the fighter you're about to fight and let's say you are primarily a fighter and you know despite your tdd, the other fighter still has the skill to take you down, wouldn't that make you more tentative into choosing your strikes well in order not to be taken down? thus also lessening the chances of a ko? :)

ko's and' date=' indeed, finishes of any kind are a rarity once you get to the "bigger leagues", because once you reach a certain level ANY MISTAKE can mean the end of a fight, and fighters would rather maintain a streak with safe play than get in a shoot-out.

thats one of the reasons it's so fun to watch "smaller" promotions...those cats scrap. but you have to evolve past that if you want to reach those greater heights.[/quote']

Exactly my point bro. Well said. =)

There will ALWAYS be people though who stubbornly think their standup is better than the guy standing opposite them, and there will always be the people who delude themselves by thinking they can strike. So long as these tools are in mma, we should still see plenty of KOs : ) ...and there will always be the upset knockouts (Koscheck vs Paulo Thiago)

Archived